Choosing New Bike: Help Needed.

Thread Starter #1
Am new here sorry if this not the right section to post but i was looking to buy a new bike and upgrade from present hero honda hunk
and am loking at few bikes
1-Yamaha r15 v3 (rumoured to be launched sometime now)
2-Karizma zmr 2014 version (to be launched in few montths)
3-Pulsar 200 ss (again rumoured to be lauched)
Now question is am not even sure if pulsar 200ss is for real if so when will it be launched
And out of the three which one should i buy???
I will drive bike mostly withing 60km range for long drives
and 30km range once or twice a week and rest are just short distance within 15km range drives
Advance thanks

Yamaha R15 v3 is just a upgrade of v2 with some change in decals, alloys wheel color, and little engine modification. But still v2 is a great option.

Looking at current ZMR or the 2014 ZMR both doesn't feel appealing, nor feel like sculptured well. It feels like it has some how got assembled. Whereas this is not the case with R15.

Few of my friends staying in Pimpri-Pune area has spotted Pulsar being tested with full body cover, but not sure that is it a 200 SuperSport[SS] model.

In the recent Auto Expo held in Delhi Bajaj has showcase SS400 and CS400, but the launch date was yet to be decided.

If you ask me, I would prefer TVS 180 ABS that would cost 94000 approx. [OTR Pune]
If not TVS then R15 or NS200.

I have driven Tvs 180ABS for around 230 kms from Pune to Kolhapur 2 months ago. The best part is the 180cc motor that roars like a LION at single twist of your wrist. The 230 kms non stop drive doesn't make me uncomfortable at all, I am 5feet 8inch tall. It took me around 3hrs05min to reach, due to bad road betweem PUNE-SATARA, thanks to its fine tuned suspension.

And out of the three which one should i buy???
Well, what could one suggest out of three unknown quantities?

My suggestion is to wait, take a test ride of all motorcycles once they are launched, and then decide.

However, if you are open to choosing any one motorcycle out of the present available lot, do let us know.

Thread Starter #4
Well, what could one suggest out of three unknown quantities?

My suggestion is to wait, take a test ride of all motorcycles once they are launched, and then decide.

However, if you are open to choosing any one motorcycle out of the present available lot, do let us know.
okay then from lot which one would you advice
my height is 5.6 (dont laugh :( [frustration])
and i dont think 200 NS would suit me that well

If you ask me, I would prefer TVS 180 ABS that would cost 94000 approx. [OTR Pune]
i want a faired sporty looking bike so which one would you suggest

Last edited by a moderator:
The only faired motorcycles between 1-1.5 lakh rupees are the Karizma R, the R15, and the CBR150. Out of these three, the R15 would suit a 5'6" frame perfectly. Take a test ride of all three motorcycles and see what suits you.

Oh, and also try out the Duke 200 if you'd like to have some thrills.

I too agree with SAM DINKAR if you are 5.6 then only R15 is suitable faired motorbike for you.

If your body build is slim or less than average than a faired bike may not suit you. But still if you love it, then go for it.

If you take my advice then have a look and TD at TVS Apache 180 ABS

http://www.tvsapache.com/images/abs180/downloads/180-abs-wallpaper1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
I too agree with SAM DINKAR if you are 5.6 then only R15 is suitable faired motorbike for you.

If your body build is slim or less than average than a faired bike may not suit you. But still if you love it, then go for it.

If you take my advice then have a look and TD at TVS Apache 180 ABS

http://www.tvsapache.com/images/abs180/downloads/180-abs-wallpaper1.jpg
Okay thanks for help but one last thing
Will the r15 feel different than hunk which I already own apart from looks
I mean will it be a good upgrade over hunk

r15 is a great bike. it has awesome control. since you are graduating from hunk, the sitting postion of r15 will take some getting to. you might feel pain on wrists. but it will go away when you get used to it.r15 is a different world you compared to the hunk. It will give you confidence in high speeds, but you need to live with the poor low end torque where the other 150's will be faster. the better the you rev, the more happier you will be. you can also try cbr150r. the bike is similar to r15. my freind went to book a hero xtreme. the dealer said to wait as four bikes will be hitting showroom this may/june.

hunk and xtreme with 15.2 bhp of power. it's the honda engine tuned by ebr. then the karizma r(19.2 bhp) and zmr(20 bhp) is also tuned by ebr and the cheif mechanic guy( he mentioned about hero hx 250r even before it's launched) said the new karizma's weighs just about 135 kgs.

when i asked about hx he said the first lot of mechancis will be called by june for the training program and the bike is expected to be in showrooms by diwali festival season.

height shouldn't be a problem for you as you are riding a hunk, as it's a tall bike.if you want to buy karizma, i suggest you to wait or else pick the r15. why didn't you consider the pulsar 220 or pulsar 200ns or the good old karizma r?

Last edited:
hunk and xtreme with 15.2 bhp of power. it's the honda engine tuned by ebr. then the karizma r(19.2 bhp) and zmr(20 bhp) is also tuned by ebr
Hunk, Xtreme, and Karizma were launched way before Hero Motocorp acquired EBR. They have bone stock Honda engines, EBR has got nothing to do with them.

Okay thanks for help but one last thing
Will the r15 feel different than hunk which I already own apart from looks
I mean will it be a good upgrade over hunk

Yes the posture of your body is totally different than the HUNK. In R15 you lean more toward the handle or in other words you put more weight on handle & your foot position is kept little backward so that you seat into the aerodynamic of the bike body.

Whereas on the HUNK, you will have pretty bit straight posture. Even HUNK and R15 has 150 cc motor but still the power of R15 is 3BHP more.

You can go for upgrade.

Hunk, Xtreme, and Karizma were launched way before Hero Motocorp acquired EBR. They have bone stock Honda engines, EBR has got nothing to do with them.
i have clearly mentioned it's a honda engine tuned by ebr. ebr has worked upon the engine to increase power output. I too know that cbz,hunk or karizma are launched long time back with honda engines. i didn't say they have ebr engines.

Last edited:
i have clearly mentioned it's a honda engine tuned by ebr. ebr has worked upon the engine to increase power output. I too know that cbz,hunk or karizma are launched long time back with honda engines. i didn't say they have ebr engines.
Thats what I am countering. EBR has got nothing to do with these engines. No tuning, nothing. Please mention the source which says EBR has tuned these engines. As far as I know these engines have had the same output since day one of their launch.

Older cbz xtreme: 149.2 cc and 14.4 bhp. newer cbz xtreme(hero xtreme): 149.2 and 15.2 bhp.

older karizma r: 223 cc 16.7 bhp and new karizma r 223cc 19.2 bhp.
older karizma r: 223 cc 17.4 bhp and new karizma zmr: 223 cc 20 bhp

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/hero-karizma/hero-displays-updated-karizma-r-zmr-at-2014-auto-expo/

Hero Unveils Xtreme Sports With 15.2 BHP Of Power | MotorBeam – Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Though not many of the engine specifications is rebelled out of the sneak peek, but referring to a statement of Hero MotoCorp Managing Director and CEO Pawan Munjal to a leading media house it is noticed, the Indian bike maker is for surely going to take on the advantage of handshake American EBR for tuning the engine of new Karizma ZMR. Hence, the actual statement of Munjal says, “We will be launching the new Karizma variants which are redesigned and the engine made more powerful with our partner EBR. This is the first commercial production model in which they have played a big part in development.”

source: indian drives. motor beam

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Thanks all for the help given i really really appreciate it....
I have finalised that i will wait it out a bit for pulsar 200 ss to launch and see the reviews and do test drive
and then if not satisfied would go for r15
Again thanks a lot for helping....

Top Bottom