Need Suggestions on Buying Used Karizma

Thread Starter #1
I was looking for used Karizma R and ZMR in Hyderabad since a few weeks. Came across a Karizma R, 2009 beginning model with 21,500 kms recently. I had a test drive and got it inspected by mechanic.

He was happy with engine but suggested replacements for
1) back cowl (portion around tail lamp) as it loose and keeps rattling whenever we pass over speedbreakers
2) for some kind of cover beneath handlebars, as some oil is leaking onto front suspension rods.
3) cleaning and engine oil change, as vehicle is not cleaned regularly and servicing done some 6 months back.

Above items can require about 3000 rupees based on mechanic's estimation.

Asking price is 36.5 k after lot of bargaining. It is first owner vehicle used in family. Is this a good price and should i go ahead with purchase? What are the maintainence costs of Karizma R?

Re: Advice on buying pre-owned Hero Honda Karizma

mechanic was happy with engine but suggested replacements for
1) back portion around tail lamp as it is loose and keeps rattling whenever we pass over speedbreakers
Will be broken fiber body panels,its very costly,I think its costs around 1500rs for side part.

Check all fiber parts for cracks,especially at joints and if cracks found,bargain.

2) for some kind of cover beneath handlebars, as some oil is leaking onto front suspension rods.
Cover beneath handles? You mean fork oil seal?[confused]

3) cleaning and engine oil change, as vehicle is not cleaned regularly and servicing done some 6 months back.
Yeah.Good.[:)]

Above items can require about 3000 rupees based on mechanic's estimation.

Final price is Rs 36.5k. It is first owner vehicle used in family. Is this a good price and should i go ahead with purchase? What are the maintainence costs of Karizma R?
Check for any rusts,dents etc,If its in perfect condition without any cracks,then its a good price.[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
I say bargain hard and close it at around Rs. 30000.

Karizma requires very little maintenance (oil/filter change and chain adjustment, thats all) but its body parts are expensive.

The jobs that your mechanic has mentioned are nothing to worry about really. Quote these jobs while you bargain to reduce the price.

Thread Starter #4
I say bargain hard and close it at around Rs. 30000.

Karizma requires very little maintenance (oil/filter change and chain adjustment, thats all) but its body parts are expensive.

The jobs that your mechanic has mentioned are nothing to worry about really. Quote these jobs while you bargain to reduce the price.
Thanks sam :)

Seller agreed for Rs 36.5 k only after lot of bargaining. He says it's not worth changing back cowl, as it'll get broken easily in a few months time, even after replacement. Is this the case?

If it is lesser, he plans to sell it to his friend who's quoting Rs 36 k.

Relief to know that the issues are minor. Is it still a good buy for Rs 36.5 k?? Any other pre-owned reliable bikes that I can look at (Prefer at least 1 disc brake)?

Will be broken fiber body panels,its very costly,I think its costs around 1500rs for side part.

Check all fiber parts for cracks,especially at joints and if cracks found,bargain.
pretty expensive. i found a crack near front suspension above the tyre also. the person selling the bike says that back cowls commonly become loose, and it is not worth replacement. what is life of cowl and what can lead to the cowl becoming loose - accident or general usage? [/B]

Cover beneath handles? You mean fork oil seal?
yes, i think it is fork oil seal. do i also need to replace this oil?

Check for any rusts,dents etc,If its in perfect condition without any cracks,then its a good price.
there is a slight rusting, here and there.

See, Rs. 36500 is not a bad price for a 2009 model Karizma with a genuine 21xxx kms on the odo; but the fact remains that you'd be paying something extra than what its worth. At the end of the day if you feel that the motorcycle is worth that price, then go ahead and pay it. As things stand, prices of used vehicles are a notional thing - they depend on what the seller and the buyer mutually agree upon (since there's no MRP). So if you think you are getting value out of the price you are paying, go for it and dont worry about a couple of thousand rupees here or there - just enjoy your motorcycle and take good care of it - believe me, once you develop a companionship with your motorcycle, it'd be money well spent.

Get the cowl replaced - the motorcycle deserves it. Not getting it replaced because it will break again is like saying why to take a shower everyday when one is bound to get dirty by the evening.

The ZMA is as reliable as any carb's bike on the road, and is the most D.I.Y friendly bike around as well. But then again the spares are super expensive. I know a friend who bought a ZMA for 27k and tried overhauling the engine, he invested a fairly huge sum, more than the cost of the bike maybe, but even then couldnt get things sorted out, parts were easily available but the mostly 90% of the mechs are not trained to handle bikes like these.

And regarding your current option for that price its a fairly good i.e if the engine side is clear as in no leaks, no drop in oil levels, no plug fouling, no smoking etc. The rear panels are a pain in the back (and as Aneesh said very expensive), but my ZMA was used or rather abused and I mostly preferred offroad over anything else, and even then the panels were fine, I only have one broken mount on the shifter side panel which happened while I tried to squeeze a soda bottle under the seat, I know, it was stupid of me :D

Cheers, and happy riding. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
See, Rs. 36500 is not a bad price for a 2009 model Karizma with a genuine 21xxx kms on the odo; but the fact remains that you'd be paying something extra than what its worth. At the end of the day if you feel that the motorcycle is worth that price, then go ahead and pay it. As things stand, prices of used vehicles are a notional thing - they depend on what the seller and the buyer mutually agree upon (since there's no MRP). So if you think you are getting value out of the price you are paying, go for it and dont worry about a couple of thousand rupees here or there - just enjoy your motorcycle and take good care of it - believe me, once you develop a companionship with your motorcycle, it'd be money well spent.

Get the cowl replaced - the motorcycle deserves it. Not getting it replaced because it will break again is like saying why to take a shower everyday when one is bound to get dirty by the evening.
Thanks for sharing. Sadly the deal didn't finalize. The bike is on the guy's father's name, and is registered in a different district. The local RTA wanted a NOC from the place of registration before transferring vehicle on my name. I called the guy a few times to get a NOC, and he doesn't seem very interested in completing the process. Sigh... this is one disadvantage of using online classifieds sites.

The ZMA is as reliable as any carb's bike on the road, and is the most D.I.Y friendly bike around as well. But then again the spares are super expensive. I know a friend who bought a ZMA for 27k and tried overhauling the engine, he invested a fairly huge sum, more than the cost of the bike maybe, but even then couldnt get things sorted out, parts were easily available but the mostly 90% of the mechs are not trained to handle bikes like these.

And regarding your current option for that price its a fairly good i.e if the engine side is clear as in no leaks, no drop in oil levels, no plug fouling, no smoking etc. The rear panels are a pain in the ass(and as Aneesh said very expensive), but my ZMA was used..or rather raped and I mostly preferred offroad over anything else, and even then the panels were fine, I only have one broken mount on the shifter side panel which happened while I tried to squeeze a soda bottle under the seat, I know, it was stupid of me :D

Cheers, and happy riding. (y)
Noticed the same. Most roadside mechanics don't seem to have experience in handling big bikes like Karizma and CBR.

the price seems to be a bit high. i got a 2012 zma with for 44k. it's a very reliable and comfortable bike to ride. it's one of the few bikes that can seat two well fed adult's comfortably becuase of it's length

Top Bottom