Recommendations For a Scooter

Thread Starter #1
My dad has been using a Libero motorcycle for his daily commute (which usually is around 10Km). Now that both my dad and the vehicle are getting old, I am planning to gift him a new scooter for his birthday, which is in March. I am not so much into scooters – hence would request you to put forward your suggestions and recommendations.

Requirements:
- Ride comfort
- Mileage (my dad is very particular about this aspect [;)] )
- Maintenance cost
- Stability
- Budget of Rs 55,000 - 60,000 (can stretch it a bit if required)

Vehicles that I have look at:
- Yamaha Ray
- Honda Activa i
- Honda Activa
- TVS Jupiter
- Suzuki Access

Go for TVS Jupiter which is a best buy and will tick many requirements you have mentioned. Activa 125 is also expected to be launched with telescopic suspension, but do not know the launch date. TVS will be cheaper to maintain and Jupiter is nothing but a Wego which is already a successful model.

I would recommend to go for Activa 125, it has telescopic suspension as Gurrala74 mentioned, and Disk brake as optional. Definitely these two are needed for a safer and comfier ride. Honda's have good resale value.

My dad has been using a Libero motorcycle for his daily commute (which usually is around 10Km). Now that both my dad and the vehicle are getting old, I am planning to gift him a new scooter for his birthday, which is in March. I am not so much into scooters – hence would request you to put forward your suggestions and recommendations.

Requirements:
- Ride comfort
- Mileage (my dad is very particular about this aspect [;)] )
- Maintenance cost
- Stability
- Budget of Rs 55,000 - 60,000 (can stretch it a bit if required)

Vehicles that I have look at:
- Yamaha Ray
- Honda Activa i
- Honda Activa
- TVS Jupiter
- Suzuki Access
From the list, I would drop
Yamaha Ray -> its design does not suit elderly people
Honda Activa i-> flop model. buy if any ladies also will be using scooter a lot.

Between the three, I can't comment on TVS Jupiter as I haven't driven it. If you have a Suzuki service center nearby with prompt response, you can can check Access, since I have heard that ride quality is good but is not as reliable as Activa.

My suggestion is to check out all three Jupiter, Access, Activa, before you decide.

If you want a fuss free scooter with good resale + reliability and which can be serviced by any two wheeler mechanic, go for Activa.

I would recommend the Jupiter:

1. Good mileage, even if you accelerate quite hard.
2. Very spacious under-seat storage.
3. Lots of legroom.
4. Tubeless tyres, makes it a lot safer.

Suspension is nothing special though. But I found the scooter much more enjoyable to drive than Activa. IMO the Activa feels a bit numb, and dull.

3. Lots of legroom.

How much is Jupiter's mileage? I find features 2,3,4 in Activa as well.

My dad has been using a Libero motorcycle for his daily commute (which usually is around 10Km)
Why a Jupitor/Wego/Aviator and why not others ?? If you look at the above statement he is an elderly person and used to a bike, so he needs more comfort like a bike, so suspension is very important a scooter with telescopic suspension and as well little bigger wheels will be always good[:)]

3. Lots of legroom.

How much is Jupiter's mileage? I find features 2,3,4 in Activa as well.
TVS claims 62, but I have never got above 55 kpl, although it could be down to my driving style. Still much better than what others who I know have experienced with their Activas!

The under-seat storage of Jupiter is more usable because the fuel filler is outside. I also find it more comfortable not having to display all the stuff I'm carrying everytime I want to fuel up!

Thread Starter #11
Thank you all, for your suggestions.

@livecars - any idea about the average mileage for Activa ?

@Gurrala74 - I am inclined towards Jupitor, due to its ride (haven't TDed it, but have read it in many reviews). I am planning to do a TD of both Jupitor and Wego this weekend - will see how it goes. I personally don't like the looks of Aviator and hence not considered as an option [;)]

@viru - how's TVS's ASS and maintainance cost?

Last edited:
@viru - how's TVS's ASS and maintainance cost?
ASS's in Delhi have a nice place to sit and if you book an appointment they don't make you wait, and do the work quite fast! Even better, they will always ask you personally before they change any fluids or parts.

Maintenance costs are affordable, less than Rs. 200 including tax for a thorough service (Consumables not included), not sure how it compares to other companies though.

TVS claims 62, but I have never got above 55 kpl, although it could be down to my driving style. Still much better than what others who I know have experienced with their Activas!

The under-seat storage of Jupiter is more usable because the fuel filler is outside. I also find it more comfortable not having to display all the stuff I'm carrying everytime I want to fuel up!
55 kpl is good. My Activa mileage hovers around 45 kmpl, since I do some amount of free spirited riding. The engine refinement is amazing and inspite of just 110c it leaves most vehicles on the road way, way back [:D]

One thing to keep in mind always while buying these scooters is the road where you travel most as these are really good in traffic situations and good roads and make your life miserable in bad potholed and speed breaker roads, so think before buying a Automatic scooter

Thread Starter #15
Went and TDed Wego - Jupitor TD vehicle is not yet available.

Also Jupitor has a 1 month waiting period in TVM - so I might as well not consider it.

I think the short list now is - Activa, Wego and Access.

Top Bottom