Doubts on Thunder Bird (New Models)

Thread Starter #1
I am very much inclined towards RE-Thunder Bird 350 but my mind say do not buy it. The reason is that 2 year back I purchased a Karizma ZMR and it is really great ride for me and I do not get any backache and also reasonable mileage around 40. This 4th personal bike for me and it is best so far.

I am okay to spend 1.5 Lakhs for new RE but please clear following doubts.

1: Does it require too much of maintenance? I do not have any RE- Service center near by, the lest distance is 10 KM while Hero Motor service center is just 0.6 KM.
I do not like visiting service center so often and also I do not have luxury of time to spend one Saturday for bike servicing every month.

2: What about engine leakage and vibration. I am used to ride at 90/100 KMPH when there is free lane. Do I need to be cautious on RE.

3: I heard that it requires 3/4 liters of engine oil while other bike needs only 1 lit, is it true?

4: My daily usage is around 60 KM , I know it would be great fun to be on TD but will it work in same way I am using ZMR.

5: What would be top speed, spec says it is just 114KMPH? I know it's stupid to ask for top speed for a good torque bike.

I am very much inclined towards RE-Thunder Bird 350 but my mind say do not buy it. The reason is that 2 year back I purchased a Karizma ZMR and it is really great ride for me and I do not get any backache and also reasonable mileage around 40. This 4th personal bike for me and it is best so far.

I am okay to spend 1.5 Lakhs for new RE but please clear following doubts.

1: Does it require too much of maintenance? I do not have any RE- Service center near by, the lest distance is 10 KM while Hero Motor service center is just 0.6 KM.
I do not like visiting service center so often and also I do not have luxury of time to spend one Saturday for bike servicing every month.

2: What about engine leakage and vibration. I am used to ride at 90/100 KMPH when there is free lane. Do I need to be cautious on RE.

3: I heard that it requires 3/4 liters of engine oil while other bike needs only 1 lit, is it true?

4: My daily usage is around 60 KM , I know it would be great fun to be on TD but will it work in same way I am using ZMR.

5: What would be top speed, spec says it is just 114KMPH? I know it's stupid to ask for top speed for a good torque bike.
My views here.
1)The new age REs with UCE are not as bad as the old Bullets.
2)Leakage and Vibrations had been well under control now.
3)Depends upon the engine 350/500.
4)The ride is unmatched [:D] Mileage around 40 KMPL is also available.
5)This is where you need to be careful.Going to the max limits will wear down your engine.Be careful about this.The more you run on max limits the sooner your engine re work will come.RE Bullets are meant for long rides on a sedate note (<60 Kmph)

The vehicle maintenance is not an issue if you identify a good mechanic in the service center.He must be your best friend!.

Go ahead thumping !!!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I have a thunderbird 350cc (2009) , the previous model.

I'd like to tell you it will be more comfortable than your karizma. I never felt any pain riding this bike.

1. Service is at 3 months or after covering 3000kms.
Some extra efforts are needed to maintain a RE. If something happens to the bike no normal mechanic will look after the bike. M telling you from my own experience after my clutch wire broke.

2. I had a leakage around engine area from day 1. But the service guy said it's sepage and it's normal.

3. 2.2 or 2.5 liters of oil is needed.

4. TB will be better.

5. I achieved a top speed of 90kmph. Not much vibrations, but never took it past the said speed.

i don't know own a thunderbird. i have driven one over 1000's of kilometers and it belongs to my cousin brother.

1. from my point the bike is similar to karizma in comfort may be a little bit bitter. again city riding isn't that much easier owing to the weight of the bike.
2. the cruising speed is around 75 to 90. past 90 there are lot of vibrations and the engine get's louder. it's not a good experience.
3. the maximum speed is 109 is what i achieved at full throttle and you need to push hard.
4. it's difficult to find a expert mechanic who works with enfields. the oil leakage problem is there. it comes and goes occasionally. the maintenance is some what higher than a normal bike

it's an iconic bike and it's a Royal bike. get it only if u want a royal enfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
Thank you everyone. I am okay with mileage and maintenance cost but I want a kind of bike which does not require frequent visit at service centre. I am like who never minds to cross a speed of 100 whenever road permits.My top speed till date is 130KMPH.

Still confused, someone who owns the new TD can comment.

Thank you everyone. I am okay with mileage and maintenance cost but I want a kind of bike which does not require frequent visit at service centre. I am like who never minds to cross a speed of 100 whenever road permits.My top speed till date is 130KMPH.

Still confused, someone who owns the new TD can comment.
Even though New age RE are reliable than the old ones , still it is not reliable as normal commuter bike that means you may need more visits to ASC than other. Also, mind even RE 500cc ones have the cruising speed between 70 to 110 even if you can go beyond that, you wont feel comfortable enough and it is not advisable for this kinda bike. But , if you need higher cruising speed (>120), then there is not much choice left at this price range. Btw, CBR250r is also a great tourer I can personally vouch for that and can do 120Kmph all day comfortably with a topspeed of 150Kmph. Most of the RE owners chose RE because of their love for the bike mostly.

....but my mind say do not buy it.
Dear Alok,

As they say, if you have to think so much, then it probably ain't for you.

I can reply to each one of your questions but as someone who has been owning an Enfield for the last 15 years, I'd rather tell you something else.

Power, reliability, smoothness, efficiency, handling, after sales service, mileage -on all these aspects, buying an Enfield probably doesn't make much sense.

Its pointless. But that's the point.

Please read this review and see what Bijoy says in the last lines of the penultimate para; and if you still feel like asking more questions, well....
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...5-indian-car-bike-magazines-6.html#post128019

Regards,
Sam

Thread Starter #8
Dear Alok,

As they say, if you have to think so much, then it probably ain't for you.

I can reply to each one of your questions but as someone who has been owning an Enfield for the last 15 years, I'd rather tell you something else.

Power, reliability, smoothness, efficiency, handling, after sales service, mileage -on all these aspects, buying an Enfield probably doesn't make much sense.

Its pointless. But that's the point.

Please read this review and see what Bijoy says in the last lines of the penultimate para; and if you still feel like asking more questions, well....
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...5-indian-car-bike-magazines-6.html#post128019

Regards,
Sam
Thanks Sam, yes I am thinking too much. My only issue is that I may not have bandwidth to visit service centre frequently. I need a little reliability.

Hi,
Its a Good thread to get the things regarding the Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350cc.
There were many reviews in neagative about the Reliability alone. Leakings are even present in new bikes of Royal Enfield.
Will follow this thread about the Postings by the Royal Enfielders to get the feel of the New TBTS and its Advantages/Disadvantages.

Last edited:

Top Bottom