Thinking of a New Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i. Any Other Options?

Thread Starter #1
Hello All

I am contemplating on getting a new motorbike and finalized on Bajaj Avenger 220 as of now
  • My budget- Around Rs.90,000 [strictly not in the north of 1 Lac]
  • I am not looking at a normal plain jane commuter
  • As of now inclined towards a comfortable cruiser.
  • Don't want to have backaches for me and pillion
  • Enough power
  • Not so bad FE. Anything around 30-45 km/L should suffice.
  • Basically looking at something for pure riding pleasure and exclusivity
  • It should be reliable as I am planning to keep it for some years.
  • For some reason, not keen on the likes of Pulsars or FZs.

Thanks
P.S: I am 6’0” tall.

Last edited:
Except for the design, the engine doesnt seem built like a cruiser . It lacks the important character of cruiser - torquey engine (ample torque at low rpm) . For me , its just another bike trying to look like a cruiser. No offense to owners.

Have a look at RE range , if you can extend your budget.

Except for the design, the engine doesnt seem built like a cruiser . It lacks the important character of cruiser - torquey engine (ample torque at low rpm) . For me , its just another bike trying to look like a cruiser. No offense to owners.

Sorry my friend I owe one and never found these problem I cruise on speed of 30 at the fifth gear also. I think this is sufficient I have tried this bike for a Delhi - Manali - Leh - Amritsar Trip I never felt there was less power or low torque issues

--------------------------------------------

My thought

Excellent Bike I have done a Ladakh Trip on this vehicle it carried me and my luggage comfortably ( My weight 80 Kgs + Fuel 40 lts + baggage 50 Kgs ) without any issues. I am 5.11 and I do long drives 200 Kms easily without any problem that only problem I felt was with chain and sprocket rest everything is great. I would like to tell you one more point also Buy this vehicle only if your going to keep it for three to four years because resale value of this vehicle is not so great.

Last edited:
Not much of an option left in that section at that price point.
Regarding back ache just check more with the owners.Long time users does have complaints.
Everything else falls in to your requirement.

Happy riding!

Thread Starter #6
With respect to REs, I am a bit skeptical about maintenance cost and reliability issues.[roll]

I would like to tell you one more point also Buy this vehicle only if your going to keep it for three to four years because resale value of this vehicle is not so great.
I don't sell my vehciles that often. What FE do you get on regualr use and also on highways ?

Not much of an option left in that section at that price point.
Actually, I am open to other categories also not just "cruiser".
Long time users does have complaints.
That is not exciting at all.

I won't be doing a LEH on a two wheeler, 4 to 6 hours of ride max. How is the ride comfort for me and pillion[mostly my wife] in the current generation Avenger?

Please do a test drive on Hero Karizma and an avenger .You will feel the difference.
Karizma is a good alternative in price and comfort.The engine is also smooth and it does have the power.
Bajaj machines does have some problems with chain,sprockets and gearbox but they are value for money.
Short duration trips have been found very enjoyable whereas long ones will give a stiff back.(This is person centric ,may be the way a person sits).

Attached a comparison for you.

Bajaj Avenger 220DTSi vs Hero Moto Corp Karizma R vs Royal Enfield Bullet 350 Twinspark Car Comparison - Zigwheels.com

I don't sell my vehciles that often. What FE do you get on regualr use and also on highways ?
In City I get around 32 if I drive bad, 35 if I drive normal with less gear shifts and on highways I get 40.

I won't be doing a LEH on a two wheeler, 4 to 6 hours of ride max. How is the ride comfort for me and pillion[mostly my wife] in the current generation Avenger?
If both of you driving for 4 to 6 hours then driver comfort is not at all a issue as the widened seat provides complete support but for pillon the comfort is not that great for such a long journeys. I would suggest try for unicorn as well

Thread Starter #10
Please do a test drive on Hero Karizma and an avenger .You will feel the difference.
Attached a comparison for you.
I would suggest try for unicorn as well
Thanks for the comparo.

The issue is that I have already fallen in love with this beauty. [embarass]
The only other bike that my heart allows me at present is Royal Enfield Electra 350. For some reasons, my wife doesn't like REs. Also for the reasons posted already, it's probably going to be the Avenger in Black- a total heart decision.

Avenger black.jpg

Almost all the reviews agree that the seating comfort for the pillion isn't great.
  • Is it due to the nature of the suspension being stiff?
  • Or poor quality and design [narrow] of the seat for the pillion?
  • I also read that, the suspension is adjustable at the rear with 5 settings for preload. Can it be done manually by a non-pro like me?

[*]Or poor quality and design [narrow] of the seat for the pillion?
This is the correct reason for that. Suspensions are very nice and would never cause a problem. I would suggest both of you go for a long test drive I am sure a drive of 10 to 15 kms can help you to take the correct decision.

My suggestion NEVER go for Royal Enfield if you want comfortable drive,secondly it will drill holes to your pockets as maintenance cost is much higher ,hard to find mechanics in an unknown area.

i too had a crush on the avenger long back and almost bought one, but wifey disuaded me from buying it. i had even test driven one at the bajaj showroom. good luck mate take the plunge...

Almost all the reviews agree that the seating comfort for the pillion isn't great.
  • Is it due to the nature of the suspension being stiff?
  • Or poor quality and design [narrow] of the seat for the pillion?
  • I also read that, the suspension is adjustable at the rear with 5 settings for preload. Can it be done manually by a non-pro like me?
I guess its due to the design of the rear seat such that its not attached to the suspension. If you look at rear of the bike then you can see that suspensions only end uptill front seats, leaving rear portion flat. Certainly not good for rear passenger if you drive carelessly on a bad road.
Also the power comes down considerably with pillion.

Good bike for comfortable drive around your city. Not mean for zip zap zoom sort of ride, which is a good thing.

Cons- tends to vibrate at high speeds, say above 60kmph. So, not meant for high speed cruising. Like someone above said, the torque is missing and I agree to that.
Brakes not that good.
Rusting of parts quite early if left open all time.

Buy it if your heart says so, this is how I bought it too and no regrets at all.
All the best.

I am going to confuse you a bit. I was in same dilemma couple of years back. I had cash ready and Pulsar 150 for exchange. First thing I did , took a test drive for Avenger 220 and what I felt it is more like Pulsar 150 only.I found gear paddle little weird and most negative part found it lacks rear disk brake and PGMFI (which is important to get a good fuel economy) .Hence I did not opt for the same.
Then only other option in comfort bike section was Karizma ZMR, inspite of over plastic look and bulkiness I found this is far better than likes of Pulsar and Bajaj in terms of engine refinement and driving comfort.In our house we already had a 2 month old ZMR and I was loving it, infact I used it for 1st 500KM and that made me to realise how good when it is compared with Bajaj.

But what I suggest, there is no harm in opting Avenger if you are liking it at core.Lets have luxary to accept what your heart says.All the Avenger owners are in love with this bike. And only RE- TB can beat this.

Top Bottom