What Bike? With Self Starter, Tubeless Tyres, < 150cc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to replace my 12 years old Bajaj Caliber. Usage will be minimal, around 300 kms/month (mostly around the local area).

I would like the bike to have the following:

• Self start - too old to be kicking around...
  • Tubeless tyres - too old to be pushing around...
  • Preferably a tall bike - am a 6 footer...
  • Good suspension
  • Otr less than 70000 rs.

I am also open to scooters if found suitable.

If you have used a bike/scooter with the above features, please give your inputs.

Re: What bike? with self starter, tubeless tyres, <150cc

If the usage is minimal scooter makes a lot of sense, as it will be stress free to ride and has the utility to carry some bags as well,
Looking at your requirement, i would suggest you to consider TVS wego as it will fulfill all your needs over an geared motorcycle.

Happy to see that you are going to replace your Caliber after 12years. My Glamour is just 8yrs old. May be after 10yrs, I may replace my bike.

Here is my opinion:

For your height CBZ Extreme, Unicorn will suit for you.

Unicorn comes with Tubeless tyres, but no idea about Extreme. apart from that both the bikes satisfying your requirements.

Unicorn mono-suspention is really good when compare to Extreme.

BTW, regarding scooter I prefer Access or Active. But, I feel scooters won't suit for your height. you may feel back pain after riding the scooter in bumpy roads.

Last edited:

I second to Appu for the Unicorn as it is matching all your requirement except price. It may be little higher from 70K.

Hr@

+1 to Visran,

for less than 500km run go for a good scooter, it'll be really stress free and your other family members also utilize it. Also there are more storage space and really good for shopping in a city.I use my scooter only, when i go to city.I avoid car for the parking problems and also bike has no storage. I think Access/Activa/Aviator is suitable for your height and had a good resale market too. I heard Activa new version is coming out with 125cc.

In case you are going only for bikes, go for any bikes minimal gears i e 4 gear and if possible 100 cc. After scooters it is good 100 cc bikes are really suitable for short & city roads. I'll not suggest 150 cc bike in the range of 70K rupees for these short trips and a monthly run of 300-400 kms.

About your requirements

Self start - self start is available for almost all models in the market.
Tubeless tires - too old to be pushing around...-In the current situation, it is opposite. It is the tubeless tire bike owners has to worry about air leaking or where we can do the puncture repairing. try any bikes with alloy wheel and MRF tires & tubes in that, then forget about tires itself for at least a 40K km.
Preferably a tall bike - am a 6 footer...
Good suspension - either it is mono/twin shock look for the soft suspension setup and enough cushine on the seat.
Otr less than 70000 rs.- I suggest go for something below 50k for this much less run.

Appu @

Are you sure Unicorn has tubeless tires? As per my info it comes with tuff up tubes. I'm a poor old Honda sales executive before 8 years[confused]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
If the usage is minimal scooter makes a lot of sense, as it will be stress free to ride and has the utility to carry some bags as well,
Looking at your requirement, i would suggest you to consider TVS wego as it will fulfill all your needs over an geared motorcycle.
Yea. I was thinking about it. But need to do some test drives to see if it is comfortable handling a scooter.

Happy to see that you are going to replace your Caliber after 12years. My Glamour is just 8yrs old. May be after 10yrs, I may replace my bike.

Here is my opinion:

For your height CBZ Extreme, Unicorn will suit for you.

Unicorn comes with Tubeless tyres, but no idea about Extreme. apart from that both the bikes satisfying your requirements.

Unicorn mono-suspention is really good when compare to Extreme.

BTW, regarding scooter I prefer Access or Active. But, I feel scooters won't suit for your height. you may feel back pain after riding the scooter in bumpy roads.
My first vehicle was a Vespa (3 grears) and then later Chetak. Though I could, those days, handle the Vespa very well, after moving to bike I feel funny trying scooters. And I look comical sitting on a scooter[:D]

Both the bikes that you mentioned are around 80k.

I second to Appu for the Unicorn as it is matching all your requirement except price. It may be little higher from 70K.
It is actually unicorn dazzler. and is around 80k.

Hr@

+1 to Visran,

for less than 500km run go for a good scooter, it'll be really stress free and your other family members also utilize it. Also there are more storage space and really good for shopping in a city.I use my scooter only, when i go to city.I avoid car for the parking problems and also bike has no storage. I think Access/Activa/Aviator is suitable for your height and had a good resale market too. I heard Activa new version is coming out with 125cc.

In case you are going only for bikes, go for any bikes minimal gears i e 4 gear and if possible 100 cc. After scooters it is good 100 cc bikes are really suitable for short & city roads. I'll not suggest 150 cc bike in the range of 70K rupees for these short trips and a monthly run of 300-400 kms.

About your requirements

Self start - self start is available for almost all models in the market.
Tubeless tires - too old to be pushing around...-In the current situation, it is opposite. It is the tubeless tire bike owners has to worry about air leaking or where we can do the puncture repairing. try any bikes with alloy wheel and MRF tires & tubes in that, then forget about tires itself for at least a 40K km.
Preferably a tall bike - am a 6 footer...
Good suspension - either it is mono/twin shock look for the soft suspension setup and enough cushine on the seat.
Otr less than 70000 rs.- I suggest go for something below 50k for this much less run.

Appu @

Are you sure Unicorn has tubeless tires? As per my info it comes with tuff up tubes. I'm a poor old Honda sales executive before 8 years[confused]
Appu must have meant unicorn dazzler with tubeless tyres.

I was set on buying Bajaj Discover, till I found out that it does not come with tubeless. Bajaj has tubeless only on pulsers over 180cc. And 180cc will be a overkill.

after being used to Caliber, I tried honda shine and it felt very light and lacked the solid feel and ride of caliber (even my wife commented on the ride quality). I suppose the bikes now a days are light weight.

The reason I want a geared bike is that I will be using this mostly to drop and pickup my wife to and from the bus stop around 3 kms away. So the bike should have decent power/pickup to do the stop/start traffic condition near my place.

It has to be scooter.
It is an option left open. If only I can find a good one in the line of kinetic blaze

Here comes mine:cool:

I travel around 20 to 30 km a day. Either in activa or access. I am 6'2". Now I feel back pain once I reach back home. Booked the Thunderbird in march and may take few more months.
Extreme /Pulser /Fz etc may not suit you.
Unicorn is soft and having good power too. I owned for two years. No back pain for sure. I did not get back pain from Avenger too. But that is out of your budget. I really felt great while riding.

If you limit to 300km, scooter would be the best choice. If you use 750+ km/month, you may get back pain.

Activa, you feel more safer than access.
Access, you feel more power than activa.

No idea about wego.
Hope I have not confused you.:rolleyes:

The reason I want a geared bike is that I will be using this mostly to drop and pickup my wife to and from the bus stop around 3 kms away. So the bike should have decent power/pickup to do the stop/start traffic condition near my place.
If your need is a small capacity bike with a good pick up then TD the all new Discover ST series, Since your usage is very less why are you very particular about tubeless tire's?

We have ZMR and Activa both at home and I always use activa for 3-4 km short travel as this gives better comfort on short ride and also luxury to carry groceries.

Before getting car Activa was lifeline and I used to call it Nano on 2 wheels. All our groceries purchased happened without much pain as we had Activa.In Activa at least you get 2 packet of 10Kgs of Atta and many other stuff from super market.

The above comments were post just to explain how much value a scooter can add. Before riding Activa, I never thought it would be so smooth and comfort to commute. I would suggest go with Activa or likes of Activa. This can even be used by ur wife or other family members.

People may differ to me, but these days good bike means over 1 lakh else remaining are uncle's bike.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks everybody for your inputs.

Finally bought a Honda Shine.

My travel has increased after relocating to Hosur. I drop and pickup my wife 4 days a week with a travel of around 24 kms a day.

The bike was delivered last night and I just drove around 3 kms to fill fuel. More about the feel and performance later.

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: Thread closed. Congratulations on your new motorcycle; please start a new thread for buying/ownership experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom