Suggestions On New Bike (Daily Running 50 Kms)

Thread Starter #1
I am planning to get a bike for me & need your valuable input deciding the same.

Below is my criteria - I know its long but can’t help

Daily running will be 40 to 50 KMS. I work in MIDC hence the road conditions are similar to dirt racing track. I have changed my suspensions, tires three times in last 4 years for my current bike Calliber 115 (hoodibaba) . The traffic conditions are worst. Office is one way 17 Kms out of which first 3 KMS are where I stay & can say have average traffic. Next 5 Kms is semi highway so here on a 2 wheeler we can maintain a steady speed of 45 KMS/ Hr. Last 8 KMS are horrible. This is full of heavy traffic, inverted speed breakers cum vehicle breakers (or whatever you call) . Here in peak time you need at least 30 to 40 odd mins to travel & last 1 KM is my office premise so no worries.

Currently if I come by my car it takes approx. 1 Hr one way for commute and if I come on 2 wheeler the time is reduced to odd 30- 40 Mins
Hence my bike should have below qualities

1.Good average (anything above 50 I’m OK. There is no good petrol pump hence need to avoid frequent refilling. The tank capacity should be good (10 +)

2.Suspensions to be best.

3.Less maintenance cost.

4.Should be above 125 CC with a good sporty look.

5.Although budget is not big constraint but would like to have a bike cost till max 70 K

At present few of my friends have suggest Unicorn & Pulsar. One of my friend is suggesting Discover (125 CC) and he claims to be highest average till now in this category.

Please help me in this scenario which bike should I go for. Appreciate if you recommend the cost & waiting period if any.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
50 + friends have read this post but no suggestions? or no bike matching my criteria [surprise]

Looking at your requirement i too would suggest you to take a look at the new Discover 125ST as it has a better monoshock suspension which should aid you in handing the worst roads you encounter.

Thread Starter #4
Yup I saw it but somehow when I google about its review I got mix and match comments like 50-50 so not sure if I can go with this one. Still I'mplanning to have test drive of them this weekend & will book one or the other

@Mac:
Though I love recommending only one bike...220.
But considering your requirements, I'd suggest you to get a Pulsar 150, it is one such bike which will fit all your needs and with good power in hand you can enjoy at times.

I second with Visran suggestion here, I heard that Discover 125ST has good mileage, but some people complained about plastic parts rattling as Bajaj has used lot of plastics for its sporty look. Its long time reliability Visran can comment on that as he has used discover for good amount of time I hope.

Apart from the above, I could suggest you the following

1. Honda Shine, most successful bike in the segment and Honda reliability
2. If you are OK with 110 cc you can opt for Dream Yuga which I am using currently, but I always felt one gear is short and I think this is the same case with Shine too
3. If you look at 150cc then, you can try GS 150R, Unicorn finally most selling Pulsar

GS 150 R and Unicorn are excellent comfort with their shocks, but I did not felt the same with Pulsar to be frank, but it is more sportive and hot selling now.

Also some people say that HH hunk is a good bike, but I do not have much information on this

I forgot to add, Hero Impulse may fit your requirements perfectly as it has a proven engine and mechanical borrowed form Honda, and a rugged chassis to handle the bad roads, take a test drive

Its been a while since im updated on the costs as im more inclined towards researching on 4 Wheelers now

Bajaj Pulsar 150 is something you would want to go for , benefits being looks, FE

As per my knowledge this is what i have heard from Fellow bikers.The spares cost im adding as per brand in Ascending order i.e starting from the lowest to the highest

TVS - Least
Bajaj - Nominal
Hero Honda - Higher
Yamaha - Highest

Fellow members correct me if im wrong

Last edited:
I second with Visran suggestion here,

1. Honda Shine, most successful bike in the segment and Honda reliability
2. If you are OK with 110 cc you can opt for Dream Yuga which I am using currently, but I always felt one gear is short and I think this is the same case with Shine too
3. If you look at 150cc then, you can try GS 150R, Unicorn finally most selling Pulsar

GS 150 R and Unicorn are excellent comfort with their shocks, but I did not felt the same with Pulsar to be frank, but it is more sportive and hot selling now.
I would not suggest GS150R for the mentioned purpose.It is more of like a cruiser bike to me.Smooth and comfortable ride in 70-100 km/hr speeds. Its gas filled shocks are very comfortable though, it will not last the continuous usage in bad roads.Result will be the same for him like his old Hoodibaba.

My GS150 R crossed 43000km in the last 2 year and 90% where in highways and average good roads.Bike was very comfortable for me all the roads, but once i taken the bike to 200 km trip to forest, where the 50km of the roads where very damaged condition and we 2 of them in the bike with a weight of total 165 kg. After 2 days, i noticed that the bikes rear shock not much effective and found that the oil was leaking from the shocks.I got it replaced on guaranty from showroom.

I think Unicorn is the best option. You can try Discover 125 St also. If roads are very bad, please do check only mono shock bikes and do not go for fazer/FZ for daily commutes. Even though they are mono shock bikes,they required huge maintenance.

Last edited:
^^ More than the features in a new launch bike, the thread starter required a proven bike. Please read the requirements mentioned in the first post by TS.

Macsvin@

Did you fixed any model?

Thread Starter #12
Hi All,
Sorry for late reply. But I have purchased Yamaha Fazer yesterday. When me and my Wifee went to Yamaha Factory shop we saw Fazer and somehow we both said at same time "Waavvvv" and got the details, took TD & searched on google about reviews and booked the same. Got it delivered yesterday. I have not received the number but will be getting ina day or 2.
I will provde detailed review shortly. Meanwhile below is the pic of my bike.

Attachments

Hi All,
Sorry for late reply. But I have purchased Yamaha Fazer yesterday. When me and my Wifee went to Yamaha Factory shop we saw Fazer and somehow we both said at same time "Waavvvv" and got the details, took TD & searched on google about reviews and booked the same. Got it delivered yesterday. I have not received the number but will be getting ina day or 2.
I will provde detailed review shortly. Meanwhile below is the pic of my bike.
Hey congratzz for your new bike. This bike have changed the fortunes for Yamaha in India. But one question what's the FE that Fazer gives? Because you wanted a a bike for daily run minimum 50 KMs.

Thread Starter #14
FE was 2nd criteria. By the way company has claimed 53 and there are people who are getting 45 KMPL. Actually the main reason behind taking this bike was me and my wife liked it the moment we saw as well as were pleased by the performance we took on test Drive. So we ignored all other criteria & went ahead booking this bike.

Top Bottom