Confusion Regarding Bike Upgrade from Bajaj Discover

Thread Starter #1
Hello People,

I am in a bit of dilemma. I have been riding my Bajaj Discover 135cc since 2007 (41000 on the ODO) and now planning to upgrade to a more powerful machine.

I have also finalized which bike I am gonna get, its Bajaj Avenger 220.

Now my question for all you experts is that if its a wise decision?
What comforts I will be missing by the upgrade, a narrow rear seat is one of them. Apart from that what do you think can be a problem if I go for this upgrade?

The dealer quoted me 91K on-road in Bangalore plus I will be getting around 22-25K for the exhange of my old bike.

Mods: I could not find any threads related to this query, hence started a new thread. Merge or delete the thread if already exists.

Re: Confusion regarding bike upgrade

Hi Rockstar,

I had driven the New avenger 220 CC it is an awesome bike. My friend just got it. Beleive me eventhough the back seat is small it provides wonderful comfort. I had travelled on the back seat and i had no problem.

Even my friend's wife travelled on the back seat and she even liked it. Test drive the bike.

All the best for your purchase.

Thanks,
Prasanna

Thread Starter #3

Test drive the bike.

All the best for your purchase.

Thanks,
Prasanna
Thank you Prasanna for the quick reply. I had no plans to buy a new bike but after I had driven this machine in Goa I just made up my plan to buy one. I have already test driven this. But its just a fight between the mind and heart whether to go for it or not[frustration]

I got bajaj avenger two months back. Highlighting a few negative areas:

1. The rear comfort isn't great. The suspensions do not work very well for the rear passenger, in fact if you do not stop at speed brakers you may get hurt even at front seats. Most annoying thing for me.
2. The auto start button may stop functioning if bike is left idle for few days. Happened with me.
3. Vibrations at high speed. Best ride is below 55kmph above which you can feel vibrations building up throughout the body.

I am yet to complete 500 kms, so may be the ride improves after initial run in, but broadly the negative points stand same as above.

This bike is best for comfortable ride in city, or a comfortable low speed cruising on highways. Looks great too.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

1. The rear comfort isn't great. The suspensions do not work very well for the rear passenger, in fact if you do not stop at speed brakers you may get hurt even at front seats. Most annoying thing for me.
Yes, it is annoying but I usually go very slow at speed breakers

2. The auto start button may stop functioning if bike is left idle for few days. Happened with me.
Does it has a kick start? If not, how did you manage to start your bike?

3. Vibrations at high speed. Best ride is below 55kmph above which you can feel vibrations building up throughout the body.
This could be because it is still a new bike for you, I did 60-70 on an old avenger but did not feel any vibrations.

I got bajaj avenger two months back. Highlighting a few negative areas:

I have no experience in any other bikes than Avengy. many of my friends bikers suggested that my avengy rides more comfy that theirs so I had a happy feel of that
I thought it was with mine only. now it needs a hard press
Feels like vibrator mode is on.
I am yet to complete 500 kms, so may be the ride improves after initial run in, but broadly the negative points stand same as above.
I dont think there would be much improvement except on engine refinement sounding softer little bit.

This bike is best for comfortable ride in city, or a comfortable low speed cruising on highways. Looks great too.
It is a cruiser made for city ..irony. but long rides does give me back aches or maybe rest of the bikes are even worse.[confused]
I dont feel it enough powerful for highway cruising as said it feels strained above 55kmph..sigh.but it has power and push to take you 110kmph with great stability and control which makes a 90k desi bike forgivable.

Mine 5800 km on odo

Yes, it is annoying but I usually go very slow at speed breakers
In cities, we encounter many speed brakers and uneven roads, how long would you keep hitting brakes and adjusting your bump all the time.

Does it has a kick start? If not, how did you manage to start your bike?
No it doesn't have a kick start. When my bike's battery died (discharged) last week, I had to contact local mechanic to get it charged. He took the battery out, took me to battery guy, and I got it charged there. Took me 20 bucks for charging. What a wastage of time!

This could be because it is still a new bike for you, I did 60-70 on an old avenger but did not feel any vibrations.
For a 220 cc bike, even 60-70 kmph is low. It should be capable of 100 easily just like other higher cc pulsars. I will wait for more kms to be covered, then lets see if high speeds are better settled.

Ok. Now good points:

1. Its very much balanced and remains in control
2. The comfort is unmatched for a bike. After driving this bike, you may feel like bending too forward on other non cruizer bikes.
3. Pick up is great
4. Your pillion will thank you for the back rest support
5. Road presence

If your heart want's to go for an Avenger please go ahead and buy it, it's a very reliable machine but please note that the riding posture is completely different from Discover do take a test drive of this machine before booking

When I was upgrading from Pulsar150 to any 200+cc bike and Avenger was one of the option. Avenger is gorgeous bike and I believe it should have all the comfort but it may not be very impressive during test ride as the gear lever is little unusual. I didn't enjoy the short test ride so opted for Karizma ZMR.

However my friends who are having Avenger are very happy with the ride and power. I like this bike a lot when I see them on Highways.

As Visran said, follow your heart and you will not repent on Avenger.

Thread Starter #10
If your heart want's to go for an Avenger please go ahead and buy it, it's a very reliable machine but please note that the riding posture is completely different from Discover do take a test drive of this machine before booking
I have taken the test drive already and my heart surely wants to go for it!!

However my friends who are having Avenger are very happy with the ride and power. I like this bike a lot when I see them on Highways.

As Visran said, follow your heart and you will not repent on Avenger.
Thanks for suggestion Ertiga_ZMR, feels good when someone else also backs your decision[:)]

In fact RightNow I had the wine red colour in my mind. Do not see many of them on roads. Its usually the blue and blacks.
When I went to buy the bike, I liked red more than black. Since I already had a red vehicle (polo) with me, I went for Black. The blue one doesn't really look that attractive. If you maintain red well,it will not loose the shine soon.

Top Bottom