Which Bike To Go for As a Replacement To My Honda Unicorn?

Which among the lot as a replacement to my Unicorn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
The Generation 1 Unicorn, which used to be my ride for the last seven years needs to be replaced. It served me well and never let me down even once.

The bikes I have in mind are the following. Also uploading a recent picture of my Unicorn.

1: The KTM Duke 200

2: The Hero Impulse

3: The Honda CBR 250 R

Regarding the options on my mind-

I love the KTM for its looks, Its tech specs, performance and handling figures. Its almost everything I can ask on two wheels and I think its the closest I can get to relive my days with the amazing two strokes. The only hard part of owning the KTM is that service is available at a distant 230Kms from where I live.

I'd give the KTM a perfect 10/10.

The Impulse I love for its off road capabilities. It can also be a great bike to take on the mountains. Its a dream of mine to ride on the highest motorable road- The mighty Khardung La on two wheels and it gives me goosebumps every-time I see someone do it on two or four wheels for that matter.(Hope I'm able to do it before I hit 40[roll]). The Impulse to me is like an SUV on two wheels. The things I dont like about the Impulse is that it does not have enough grunt to plant a smile on my face and that it would be slightly inconvenient to ride it to work. Service for the Impulse is available in my hometown by the way.

I'd give the Impulse a 8/10.

The CBR 250 R is the last option on my mind. It would be a great bike for commuting as well as the odd long haul or touring on the highway. Is decent on performance and reasonably good in the handling department. What worries me are the eariler complaints from owners regarding build quality issues and the pathetic service available at Honda here. They dont get you parts in time. (I still have to get some parts of my Unicorn which were ordered a year and a half back.) And regarding service, The CBR 250R cannot be serviced at the Honda Dealership in my hometown, I would have to take it to Cochin which is 80Kms far from where I reside.

I'd give the CBR a 7/10.

So what do you think guys? Which one should you think suits me best? And almost forgot I'm 5.7ft.

Attachments

Last edited:
How much are you going to drive it daily? If a lot, like it being your daily commute, then I'd not suggest any of your shorlisted choices. In such case I'd go for a comfortable daily drive like a Stunner/Twister/Pulsar. But, if it's going to be your weekend/fun drive thing, then I'd second you on Honda 250R. Though all, are unproven in the market as of now (Duke and Impulse are new borns in that sense), still Honda A$$ would be better of the three. Again, don't expect sports bike like performance from 250R, it's a decent bike but nowhere close to Ninja in sports DNA.

freakdude.

Jalex sir, after reading through this thread/poll the only thing that came to mind " What the Heck" !
Your thread and pics flashed past my eyes and all i can say why are you even thinking ? There is no other way you can buy anything else apart from the KTM Duke(from the above list) - The Unicorn was/is an excellent ride no 2 questions about it, but it was more a means to an end (tailored for the purpose of commuting, purchased using the grey cells) - but this purchase of yours has to be from the heart(i can see it pleading for one) and being a dirt bike racer in the past nothing else but the KTM suits the case ( unless you wanna go for a more high end dirt racer :) )

Cmon sir the unicorn was a period of dormancy(may be you can still keep it alongside to serve some practical purposes) - lets have the original DNA back!

Please expect a legal notice from my side if it aint the KTM you chose (hopefully then ill be talking in a language that will convince you to go for the KTM :stupid:)

Beg, Borrow or steal(and to hell with a scientific way of comparison,elimination and selection!) but go with your original DNA this time - has to be the KTM sir!

Thread Starter #6
get the duke. its gonna be worth it the drive when you take it for servicing.

You're right, I too feel the same way and was also thinking of it. The only 'if' that came to my mind was what if it broke down to some reason? No one can fix it around these parts and I'll have to hire a pick up to take it all the way to Trivandrum that's 230Kms away. But I guess its worth the gamble.[;)]

II would suggest KTM DUke, it looks fab and has a high brand value. The performance too is very good.
+1 on that, I think in the end, I will indeed go for the option you've mentioned.

How much are you going to drive it daily? If a lot, like it being your daily commute, then I'd not suggest any of your shorlisted choices. In such case I'd go for a comfortable daily drive like a Stunner/Twister/Pulsar. But, if it's going to be your weekend/fun drive thing, then I'd second you on Honda 250R. Though all, are unproven in the market as of now (Duke and Impulse are new borns in that sense), still Honda A$$ would be better of the three. Again, don't expect sports bike like performance from 250R, it's a decent bike but nowhere close to Ninja in sports DNA.

freakdude.
I might do anywhere around 700Kms a month and an odd long haul or two once every quarter or two. And regarding the CBR, You're right, it sure feels sort of a gentleman's bike, But I'm looking for some spice.

Jalex sir, after reading through this thread/poll the only thing that came to mind " What the Heck" !
Your thread and pics flashed past my eyes and all i can say why are you even thinking ? There is no other way you can buy anything else apart from the KTM Duke(from the above list) - The Unicorn was/is an excellent ride no 2 questions about it, but it was more a means to an end (tailored for the purpose of commuting, purchased using the grey cells) - but this purchase of yours has to be from the heart(i can see it pleading for one) and being a dirt bike racer in the past nothing else but the KTM suits the case ( unless you wanna go for a more high end dirt racer :) )

Cmon sir the unicorn was a period of dormancy(may be you can still keep it alongside to serve some practical purposes) - lets have the original DNA back!

Please expect a legal notice from my side if it aint the KTM you chose (hopefully then ill be talking in a language that will convince you to go for the KTM :stupid:)

Beg, Borrow or steal(and to hell with a scientific way of comparison,elimination and selection!) but go with your original DNA this time - has to be the KTM sir!
[lol] You are thinking the same things that's going through my mind and I loved reading every word of your post. Felt like my mind itself was talking to me. Another thing is that even though the Unicorn looks like a nerd, Its like a silent assassin. People never assume what its capable of and that's fun at times if you know what I mean.

And about the replacement -KTM it will be, no matter what. I also have to find a new owner for the Uni, someone like myself who'll take good care of her. The hunt starts tommorow.

Once again, I thank you all for helping me out to make a decision.

Last edited:
KTM sounds good to me bro

Honda CBR is low budget bike and I am sure it wouldn't fascinate you .

CBR RR range is different , so most of the people gets tricked by the CBR Tag

Go for KTM Duke. It's a eye catcher on road and also it stand out from the lot :-). And form the posts above, it seems that you are inclined towards the same. So just don't have another thought, the more you think more you get confused. (that's my theory).

Go for KTM Duke. It's a eye catcher on road and also it stand out from the lot :-). And form the posts above, it seems that you are inclined towards the same. So just don't have another thought, the more you think more you get confused. (that's my theory).
I agree on that man . that theory is so true.
I just showed my mate some cars now he is so confused.
Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R
Mazda RX-8
Nissan Skyline R34
Nissan Skyline V35
BMW 320ci
Audi A4 quattro
VW Jetta DSG (Turbo petrol)
VW Passat ( Turbo petrol)
Mitsubishi Pajero

now he is like.. I don;t know man what to get haha [surprise]

You are thinking the same things that's going through my mind and I loved reading every word of your post. Felt like my mind itself was talking to me. Another thing is that even though the Unicorn looks like a nerd, Its like a silent assassin. People never assume what its capable of and that's fun at times if you know what I mean.

And about the replacement -KTM it will be, no matter what. I also have to find a new owner for the Uni, someone like myself who'll take good care of her. The hunt starts tommorow.

Once again, I thank you all for helping me out to make a decision.
This is fantastic, quick decision and absolutely right one(some decisions have to made straight from the heart - this was a deserved one[clap])

Why dont you still keep the Unicorn ? Do you have to sell it?

Thread Starter #11
KTM sounds good to me bro

Honda CBR is low budget bike and I am sure it wouldn't fascinate you .

CBR RR range is different , so most of the people gets tricked by the CBR Tag
You're right, after doing some research, I too felt its not going to be the one for me. I think it would be too boring. Plus the KTM would be cheaper and I can save some money to get the power parts from their bin. I'm thinking of getting the lever protectors/guards and sticker set for the alloys along with the bike for starters.

I was confused at first but now after everyone's suggestions and inputs, I'm clear and the choice is made. Duke it is[:)]

This is fantastic, quick decision and absolutely right one(some decisions have to made straight from the heart - this was a deserved one[clap])

Why dont you still keep the Unicorn ? Do you have to sell it?
I sold the Unicorn today to a friend of mine, His son will be using it and I'm happy that its going into caring hands.

By the way I'm going to Bajaj Probiking at Trivandrum tommorow to book the KTM, Guess I'll be going in for a first test ride as well.

And once again, Thank you all, especially Iron Rock.

Well,although I am doubtful if I can give some advise to a pro like you or not,but still.
My advise is in just one word:'WAIT'.

Why wait?Because I have ridden KTM Duke 200 for about 15 kms and CBR 250R ABS for about 1500 kms.And being true I found something missing in the Duke,no doubt its the most rev happy bike engine in India till date,but still....let me recall it.

At last,if you have decided for the bike and is JUST on your decision,then nothing is better than the KTM Duke and will suit you you best..[clap]
Take my congrats in advance..Welcome to the beast lovers club..I am also now quite fed up of the car thing..

BTW,what are your requirements?Because I am yet to find them in the opening post.

Last edited:
By the way I'm going to Bajaj Probiking at Trivandrum tommorow to book the KTM, Guess I'll be going in for a first test ride as well.

And once again, Thank you all, especially Iron Rock.
that is fantastic, if you can take some pics while on your test drive tomm, all the very best!

Jalex- Yes better get that and I'd do the same thing get some extras with the bike not from factory straight away according to your needs.

Do you wear a good helmet? might a be a good idea to buy a new one with extra safety.

Thread Starter #15
that is fantastic, if you can take some pics while on your test drive tomm, all the very best!
I booked the Duke today. Couldn't get any decent pics, But got a video clip. Nothing great though.

KTM Duke at the TVM Probiking store - YouTube

Took a first ride, Feels superb. Acceleration reminds me of an RD LT or my previous RX 135 five speed crotch rocket. Brakes are by far the best I've come across, The bike feels planted and precise, The seat resembles a GP bike, Pretty hard and will give you a sore and numb behind if you take her on a road trip. Suspension also feels like its a tad on the stiffer side, But I like it that way, I hate suspension set ups that wallow at speeds. CBR250R being one such example.

Jalex- Yes better get that and I'd do the same thing get some extras with the bike not from factory straight away according to your needs.

Do you wear a good helmet? might a be a good idea to buy a new one with extra safety.
I have an MPA AGV and a Studds Ninja, They need to be replaced and I need to get a decent one. I'm getting the Tank pads and the rim sticker set from KTM's power parts bin, also thinking of getting a paddock stand as the Duke does not have a main stand. Is quite pricey and costs Rs.8000/- at the KTM store. But its a solid piece.

Well,although I am doubtful if I can give some advise to a pro like you or not,but still.
My advise is in just one word:'WAIT'.

Why wait?Because I have ridden KTM Duke 200 for about 15 kms and CBR 250R ABS for about 1500 kms.And being true I found something missing in the Duke,no doubt its the most rev happy bike engine in India till date,but still....let me recall it.

At last,if you have decided for the bike and is JUST on your decision,then nothing is better than the KTM Duke and will suit you you best..[clap]
Take my congrats in advance..Welcome to the beast lovers club..I am also now quite fed up of the car thing..

BTW,what are your requirements?Because I am yet to find them in the opening post.
Could you be a little more clear? I didn't quite get you there.

And requirements, Not too much, It should be great in the handling and performance departments, shouldn't fall off to pieces when given the stick, maybe look the part too and thats about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom