Planning To Buy AT Hatchback With Safety Features (Research Inside)

Thread Starter #1
Hi TAI Members. I am planning to buy a new car. It would have to be most probably a hatchback. This will be my first car and I have never owned a car. I have driven an automatic in USA for a period of 1 Year (just to give an idea of my experience or say lack of, with cars).
Now the main requirements for me are

1. Automatic Transmission
2. Safety features
3. Decent FE

I have been researching a lot since last few months reading various ownership reviews on this and other forums. I do not have a budget set but since it will be a hatchback (with AT), I want to spend not a lot. But since I want safety as well, I know price will be high.

So my research on various cars says this...

1. Maruti Suzuki A-Star AT -> Not available new anymore and I am not really wanting to go for used/pre-owned car. Also it has ABS only and no airbags

2. Celerio AMT - Very high waiting times and no safety features like ABS or airbags. Don't think Maruti will also introduce them in AMT version.

3. Hyundai Grand i10 AT -> Great interiors. Hyundai is considered usually second to Maruti in terms of presence in the market. But its top end AT also doesn't have ABS/Airbags. This is a let down. No idea what Hyundai was thinking.

4. Ritz AT - Doesn't have safety features.

5. Honda Brio AT - This is the top contender for me at the moment. It has airbags and ABS and Honda badge might be good I feel. This car I believe doesn't sell much but seems to be having lot of good reviews from the people who own it.

6. Nissan Micra CVT - Seems to have lot of bells and whistles and also safety features and most expensive from the last few I have listed. Also concerned about the A.S.S of Nissan.

7. Hyundai i20 AT - Goes over budget at 9 Lakh+ OTR and we only get 1 airbag.

I want to mention that I am not an enthusiast. I want car for commuting in city of Mumbai. I may never take the car out of city I think since I personally prefer to do highway journeys and such in volvo and such buses.

Last edited:
Honda Brio or Nissan Micra CVT are the best choices here. If Boot space & Features is priority, then Micra. If Dynamics & Engine, then Brio AT

As of now the best choice for you in Nissan Micra CVT. If you are willing to wait for a month or so, you can TD Tata Zest AMT (Diesel).

5. Honda Brio AT - This is the top contender for me at the moment. It has airbags and ABS and Honda badge might be good I feel. This car I believe doesn't sell much but seems to be having lot of good reviews from the people who own it.
+1 to your choice of Brio ( in the current scenario). Suggest not jump into Zest AMT unless you are confident of the car, IMO it is too early to decide on the Zest .

Go the Brio way[:)]!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
+1 to your choice of Brio ( in the current scenario). Suggest not to consider to jump into Zest AMT unless you are confident of the car, IMO it is too early to decide on the Zest .

Go the Brio way[:)]!
I am not an early adopter. So zest is not for me. Being first car it has to have market presence.
In small sedan I had considered Xcent SX(O) as well but it will set me back by 8.5 lakh.

I am not an early adopter. So zest is not for me. Being first car it has to have market presence.
In small sedan I had considered Xcent SX(O) as well but it will set me back by 8.5 lakh.
If Sedans, again Amaze is better then Xcent. 5Speed on Amaze is much superior, efficient, responsive.

As of now the best choice for you in Nissan Micra CVT. If you are willing to wait for a month or so, you can TD Tata Zest AMT (Diesel).
Now, I am hearing that the Zest will be offered with AMT only in the mid-spec diesel variant, presumably without ABS/Airbags. So thats very disappointing.
Somehow everyone other than Honda/Nissan think their auto-transmission hatchbacks should not have safety features by default..Makes all the more sense for the Govt to step in and make these mandatory starting next year if possible on ALL cars.
Regarding Brio AT vs Micra CVT, another point I noted during my Brio test drives was that the 5 speed AT of the Brio seemed to have a tendency to shift to lower gear every now and then, inspite of there being no load on the engine. I dont know why. Whereas the Nissan CVT has the exact opposite action of pulling the revs down to as minimum as possible in the particular speed/powerband..I have observed 1700rpm at 90kph plus, this on a flat stretch btw..its incredible how that X-tronic box works. Of course, you do need to give it a bit of a push occasionally, especially after slowing down considerably after a long continuous drive at a constant speed. And the CVT rubberband effect does take place for a couple of seconds, but never too annoying. Most important, it keeps the wallet happy[:D]

Last edited:
^^ Its is true CVT and other AT boxes are proven technology but AMT is certainly new kid on the block. Though its benefits should be good , but we do not know performance in the long run.

Thread Starter #11
The New i20 that is coming should be equipped with AT. Wait for it in case meets your end requirements.
With how the current i20 is priced, I expect new one top end AT with safety features to cost more than 9Lakh OTR. But yes I will keep an eye on what they are going to offer. I hope they officially unveil it soon with pricing.

Top Bottom