Chevrolet Tavera Neo (2012) OR New Enjoy / Ertiga For Taxi? (Bought Ertiga)

Thread Starter #1
A 2012 model Tavera Neo 2 or brand new Chevrolet Enjoy or Ertiga for Taxi:

One of my relatives is looking for a 7-seater to be used as Taxi in Kerala.

He happened to come across a 2012 model Chevrolet Tavera Neo 2 variant with 30k km on ODO at an asking price of 7.70Lakhs without any scope for negotiation. The vehicle seems to be in good condition. I know that Tavera Neo 2 has been discontinued by Chevrolet in India.

Is it worth considering? Or does it make sense to go for any base variant of brand new Enjoy or Ertiga as basically his requirement [in terms of features] is Power windows, Power steering and AC

Your suggestions are very valuable and much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Chevrolet Tavera Neo (2012) OR Brand New Enjoy / Ertiga For Taxi?

Manoj, ask that guy to find an innova, because people out here are crazy on innova,
An innova can be locally maintained cheaply as the parts are commonly available and the maintenance are much less than tavera,
Its engine can run more than 600000kms with just oil change and a timing belt change at an interval of 150000kms.
Eriga offers less space than innova/tavera which customers here are aware of,
And have to wait for some time to think about enjoy as it is new to the market.
Old innova G3 would be handy on his budget,an AC blower at the rear can be locally fitted with the cost of 20000k on G3.
He can even get G4 for 7.5L

Hi pale . It is better to go for INNOVA. It has 7 and 8 seater. It is too spacious and comfortable too. So it is better to go for INNOVA.

I agree with Alex suggestion on Innova, than Tavera as it make more sense and accomadate more things and looks classy to people anywhere [:)]

Ertiga though is 7 seater, it looks cramped and for a personal family use it is ok as the trips are occasional, when it is a taxi then it may look too small.

Yes, Nothing is really known about Enjoy at the moment and it may be a risk for taxi segment as it will have to take more abuse

Thread Starter #5

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

In fact, when he spoke to me I instantaneously told him to go for an innova. But he seems to have some budget constraints. He can utmost stretch it to 8.5Lakhs. At this price range he may find only 2006-2007 model innovas,I guess.

A quick search from my side found a 2010 Innova G4 at 10.75 Lakhs. These are very expensive.

Tavera Neo 2, being just about an year old at 7.7Lakh or 6-7 year old Innovas ?

@Manoj

It is not that bad with Tavera of one year old with that price if Innova is costlier.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

In fact, when he spoke to me I instantaneously told him to go for an innova. But he seems to have some budget constraints. He can utmost stretch it to 8.5Lakhs. At this price range he may find only 2006-2007 model innovas,I guess.

A quick search from my side found a 2010 Innova G4 at 10.75 Lakhs. These are very expensive.

Tavera Neo 2, being just about an year old at 7.7Lakh or 6-7 year old Innovas ?

Here Tavera will be the better bet. Tavera looks may be that great as Innova but the engine is very efficient .

Thread Starter #8

@Manoj
It is not that bad with Tavera of one year old with that price if Innova is costlier.
I too think so.
Here Tavera will be the better bet. Tavera looks may be that great as Innova but the engine is very efficient .
thanks.
“Looks” are not at all a concern here.
  • In Taxi segment, Innova is very popular among people due to the space and comfort it offers. So innova may get more “customers” than other vehicles.
  • The second concern is that of reliability and cost of maintenance. I haven’t owned both of them, thus need help on this.
  • Third, the resale value. Its here Innova is way superior to others,IMO.

Out of your listed options it should be a Tavera, tavera is a real work horse and does the duty very well, more economical with 2-3 kms more kmpl than innova and mind you as he is to own a yellow board he must be familiar to this : An innova is mostly used by customers who just want an innova to travel or for comfort travel, whereas the Tavera can fulfill a Indica or Qualis or sumo' requirement provided lack of other vehicles or through references which means he gets more business

I have driven a tavera for long distances and i am sure its the best for highways in your list and its a real mile muncher with no issues at all during long drives and with my friend's ownership of tavera for more than 4 years he has never faced any major issues apart from regular service

Note : 2 nd row seat space is more in tavera than any mentioned in your list

Last edited:

Manoj@

Did you got any update on your friend's decision? I am also a prospective buyer of a 7 seater @ 7.5 lakh budget, so i am really interested to know more about it.There are some other options available in this budget, but i dont know how good they are in taxi segment. Some of them are
1. Sumo gold
2. Bolero(I know the space is limited)
3. Tata Venture
4. How about a second Sumo grande?2010-11 private models will get less than 4 lakhs.
note-I heard that Tavera BS3 production has stopped now and sumo gold and venture going for a upgrade
Alex@

could you please mention, issues may be we face in a Tavera on the long term ownership as taxi? How about Sumo gold/venture/grande ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11

Manoj@
Did you got any update on your friend's decision?
He has given it a miss on the Tavera this time. He actually narrowed down to a 2013 Ertiga Zdi [top end with Dual Airbags] with 5000k on Odo at an asking price of 8.25Lakh. He was about to finalise the purchase today but cancelled it as the same vehicle met with an accident a couple of days ago.
I have told him not to consider "Enjoy" at this point of time.
Since he is not into a full- time Taxi business this time around; comfort, reliability, resale value and cost of long term maintenance are his priorities. So I thought a brand new base model Ertiga or a barely used top end would make sense.
I am also a prospective buyer of a 7 seater @ 7.5 lakh budget, so i am really interested to know more about it.There are some other options available in this budget, but i dont know how good they are in taxi segment. Some of them are
1. Sumo gold
2. Bolero(I know the space is limited)
3. Tata Venture
4. How about a second Sumo grande?2010-11 private models will get less than 4 lakhs.
It all depends on the customer type you target. My impression is if your customer base has grown into some sort of vehicle specific, do spend some time to do some real life research in your area and search accordingly.

I would suggest Chevy Enjoy a good people mover if it is for taxi purpose. You can also consider Nissan Evalia for taxi purpose. If you look for own use go for Ertiga VFM.

Alex@

could you please mention, issues may be we face in a Tavera on the long term ownership as taxi? How about Sumo gold/venture/grande ?
Releesh,

More people/customers prefer an innova for a taxi back here and i am more satisfied with an innova from the above listed ones.
I recommend a freshener in this field to go for an innova as a taxi.
I would go for an innova 2006 model 200000kms done than any of the above listed ones even if the listed ones is new or had done below 50000kms.
Customers back here ask for innova and if not innova they bargain on kilometer rate on other 8 seater's.

Alex@

You were missing for some days. As mentioned in the earlier post, though i work in a IT company, i plan to own a taxi. My options are,
- either keep the current personal car, and go for a new Indica V2 as taxi, which comes under 4 lakhs. This is for attaching with travel agent, whom i know(I thought i'll give my contribution to save the sinking Tata sale[;)]. jokes apart, i love the comfort & Space in their cars)
- Sell the current car and go for an MPV within 8 lakhs.(In this case, i prefer new vehicle, coz i am new to Diesel MPV ownership and have no idea about spare parts/maintenance costs and you are suggesting me used Innova)

Last edited:

Top Bottom