About the plant:
The plant is spread over 535acres, its located on the highway itself, near the Motorola factory.
We were greeted by 2Hyundai staffs who took us in the bus to the PR room (a small auditorium kind of place), where their MD (forgot his name - a Korean national) met us. Gave us a short briefing about his experience in Hyundai (30+yrs!). He also mentioned that Hyundai although is a bit more pricey than competition, they never drop their quality to drop the price.
We saw a ppt and a short video too.
Some facts about the plant:
1. Every 72secs a car is rolled out of the production line
2. About 8500 employees work at the plant
3. About 90% of employees are Indians, key positions in factory are held by Indians like COO etc
4. The whole plant has its own roads, internal use cars, traffic signals with timers, traffic coordinators at most of the signals, no pot holes (
), lots of open space, its own testing track too.
5. They manage to recycle almost all of the water they use inside the factory, they have huge rain water harvesting ponds, one of the largest inhouse pond in ASIA.
6. Most of the entry level engines are made at the Chennai plant, some are imported from Korea as per business needs and sales numbers. They have their own foundry at the plant too.
7. Employees are sent to Korea for training every year, also before a car is launched a batch of (roughly about 40employees) are sent Korea for product training.
8. We also got to know a few things about their initiatives to train uneducated youth to become drivers etc, they also manage train and get jobs not only within Hyundai, also with their Vendors.
9. Most of Hyundai's vendors are located within 50kms, 100kms and 150kms of the factory location.
10. Their stockyard can park upto 40,000 cars
11. The factory makes both Left hand drive and Right hand drive cars.
12. We got to see Eurpean spec I10 with different alloys and I guess they were 14" ones