Interview With Vinu: 1st South Indian Biker To Complete Bun Burner

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Vinu S.V - Yamaha R15.jpg

Someone rightly said that “if there is a will, there is a way”. Now recently a passionate biker from Hyderabad has proved this saying true by successfully completing the Bun Burner challenge and became the first ever person from South India to hold this certification. Bun Burner is basically an endurance run organized by Iron Butt association of U.S.A. This challenge assesses the capability of a biker who can cover up to 1,500 miles in less than 36 Hours. (Saddlesore 1000 / Bun Burner 1500) It’s certainly not as easy as it sounds. So we thought why not learn more about the experience directly from the man himself? Let us meet – Vinu S.V.

- Hi Vinu, although you are a recognized Indian biker now, but our members would like to know about yourself directly from you.

My name is Vinu S V, 26 years young from Hyderabad. My friends and close one’s address me as MadMax and I have been trying to make a living out of riding a Motorcycle. Born and brought up in a small town named Kollam in Kerala. Settled in Hyderabad with my parents since 14 years and that pretty much makes me a Hyderabadi. Minus the biking bit, I am pretty much an average Joe who likes to hang out with loved ones and close friends and do the normal things just like everyone else. Come to think of it adventures, anything that involves an element of risk etc. kind of fascinates me.

- Since when were you smitten with this biking bug?

I have been riding around for close to nine years now and it all started on a Hero Honda Passion. I started riding only because of my late brother, Dhruv. He taught me how to ride, took me to the highway for the first time, taught all the tricks in the book. He was very fast, in fact really fast, yet safe. One of the best I have seen around. RIP my bro.

- Presently, which bike do you own and ride. Why?

Currently I own a Yamaha R15 (Racing Blue) and has covered close to 36,000 km’s on this bike so far. I believe in performance biking that I can afford and it was the obvious choice in the market when I decided to make the purchase around 20 months back.

- That's great. But which one is your dream bike?

That is an easy pick, Yamaha R6. I absolutely love the high-revving nature and would love to own one someday.

- Now talking about the Bun Burner challenge, what actually encouraged you to participate in such an event which requires some serious daredevilry?

I happened to read about Iron Butt Association USA couple of years back and got hooked on as I have always loved long distance safe endurance rides. People who knew me around thought that I can pull one of the IBA challenges real easy but I kept hanging back for a bit. But last year during my South Solo ride, I dashed across from Cochin to Hyderabad under 17 hours flat under not so friendly road/weather conditions. That ride changed a lot of things for me from deep within in terms of confidence, how much I can push, where to draw the line etc. After that it was just a matter of time. Then came the Saddle Sore ride (1600+kms within 24 hours) that I was able to finish in around 22 hours and while I was getting close to the finish point I started thinking of the BunBurner. After riding for 22 hours I felt I had lot of steam left in me and BB could be my next challenge.

IMG_0806.jpg

- We have heard that you had to quit a wealthy job for this. Do you really feel that it was a wise decision?

It was a pretty decent enough job and the only reason I had to let go off it was I could not find time to ride while I was at it. Riding only on weekends could not satisfy my thirst and it was just not possible to accommodate all the things I wanted to do on a Motorcycle along with a normal job. I made my mind up and of course, I am happy that I did. Over the last year or so I have finished so many things that I had in my check list which would only have remained on paper had I stuck to my job.

- In context to the previous question – Did your family, relatives and friends support you for this idea?

My family and relatives is not one bit happy about this and from their point of view, I feel they have every right to feel the way they do. Few friends did feel it was the apt decision because they pretty much knew how badly I needed to finish the long list of things I had in mind.

- Anyone who stepped forward to support you as a sponsor? How much helpful it was?

I have tried and knocked at many doors for sponsorship, not just for this ride but for various other rides and initiatives too. Sadly, no one has come forward or has been of any help in anyway. Currently Red Bull has recognised my efforts and has been associated with me since past couple of months in their own little way.

- It is evident that participating in such endurance runs is not an easy job. So have you ever participated in such events previously as well?

Yes. As I mentioned earlier, I did the SaddleSore 1600k (1600+kms within 24 hours) recognised by the Iron Butt Association USA and did pull it off successfully.

- Do you believe that outlining a proper strategy and planning pays off at the end?

Yes, absolutely. Planning is extremely important and to be honest it’s half the battle won if you are pretty much aware of what you getting into. Mentally and physically, you have to be in shape and of course, you need to pick the right route, set up the bike to meet the demands of the ride etc. And more than anything, with all the planning in place one has to be prepared for the surprise elements.

- What were the preparations that you did from your end?

After the saddle sore ride, I was not in the greatest of physical shape. I had some issues with my cervical spine and some other back related trouble. Regular medication, Physio therapy, ample amount of rest kind of got me back on track. Regular cycling, jogging and other endurance building exercise definitely helped. I was aware of the road condition for the whole stretch of BunBurner as I have ridden through the entire route previously during my touring adventures. I even knew exactly which fuel stations I will be tanking up. And if there is any town or city that you cannot by pass and might face heavy traffic jam then you have to plan the ride in a way that you cross that stretch either late midnight or early morning.

- Despite the proper planning, what were the difficulties that you had to face during the trip? Please share an experience or two with us.

Apart from the usual fatigue and worn out feeling, there were few issues especially on the return leg of the ride. I had slight bleeding from my left ear for a while and my left eye was badly bruised – thanks to the army of bugs on the highway. (I do not feel comfortable riding with a closed visor in the night time).

- What were the riding gears that you packed up for this challenge?

Dsg Spike Jacket, Sparx S07 Rebel Helmet, Cramster Trg2 Gloves & Cramster Balaclava, Cramster Tank Bag.

- Can you tell us about the route map which you followed? Why did you pick this one particularly?

Hyderabad to Kanyakumari via Anantapur, Bangalore, Krishnagiri, Salem, Madurai, Kanyakumari-- then returned to Hyderabad via the same route and rode till Chegunta in Medak district after crossing Hyderabad. Starting the ride from Hyderabad, this was only the option keeping in mind the road condition and other aspects.

- We all know that it was a race against the time. But how many stops in total did you take during the entire 2,500 Kms trip?

I had to pull over 10 times for refuelling and apart from this, I took 2 breaks in between to Hydrate myself and click some pictures.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Re: Interview: Vinu S.V – The First South Indian To Complete Bun Burner

IMG_2843.jpg

- As you know that, The Automotive India is always keen to focus on road safety. So could you please highlight a few important points in concern to this for our visitors? Please explain us about the importance of road safety in these events.

Plan every tiny detail as much as possible in terms of route, fuel stations, and every other little thing possible. Make sure you are in great physical and mental state. Make sure the bike is ready to face the demands of such a gruelling ride and have all the right set up for it. Try and gather as much information as you can from people who have done or attempted the ride etc. Make sure you understand your own physical capabilities as to where to draw the line in terms of how long you can ride at one stretch without a break, how long you can manage to stay up without sleep, without food etc. Once you know your own limits, try and work alongside them to achieve the goal. Keep yourself hydrated with water, carry plenty of Red Bull.

- If you are asked for a brief experience about this entire endurance run. How would you summarize it overall?

I read somewhere that “Saddle Sore is not as difficult as it sounds and BunBurner is extremely more difficult than it looks”. I can’t help but completely agree to that. I had so much left in me after the Saddle Sore but Bun Burner I had to give it all, give it everything. But yeah, end of the day I would say I had fun and it’s something worth cherishing for a life time.

- Now that you are the first person from South India to complete Bun Burner. How is the feeling and after-effect?

Feels good, more than anything this was something that I had to do for myself. On the larger scale, if I have inspired even one person out there then I believe I have done my job and going by the response so far I think I have managed to inspire a few around.

- What have you planned up for future? Will you continue the career in motorsports?

I do have few plans and rides and other things related that I would love to do. It’s been over a year where I have left my job and took up Motor Cycle riding on a full time basis. ). Without any kind of help and support in terms of sponsorship, it’s almost impossible to carry on.

Past year was real good, I have done around 14 Inter State Rides and plenty of small ones, been on the race track few times as part of some big names, did a Stunt Tour with a leading Motor Cycle brand and the two IBA Record Rides. First and only one from Andhra Pradesh to have successfully done a IBA SaddleSore (1600+kms within 24 hours) and the First from South India to have done a IBA BunBurner (2500+ kms within 36 hours

- Finally, please offer your precious advice to The Automotive India members and visitors who are willing and aspire to take on a career on similar track. There is lots of hidden talent in India and all it needs is to be recognized. Isn’t it true?

Always wear safety gear regardless of how big the ride is or how small. Be positive and ride safe. There is no lack of talent in this country but motor sports in general is kind of an expensive affair for most middle class folks like me and we do need a helping hand.

Thanks, Vinu. It was a great pleasure talking to you. The Automotive India wishes you all the success that you truly deserve. Your future is definitely bright. Good luck. [thumbswink]

IMG_0776.jpg

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Re: Interview with Vinu. S.V: 1st South Indian To Complete Bun Burner

Bun Burner ride - Sector wise break up:

- Hyd- Anantapur: 340 kms in 3 hours 41 mins
- Anantapur - Bangalore- Krishnagiri: 292 kms in 3 hours 53 mins
- Krishnagiri - Salem - Dindigul: 311 kms in 4 hours 14 mins
- Dindigul - Madurai - Kanyakumari: 280 kms in 3 hours 8 mins

One way: 1223 kms in 14 hours and 56 mins.

- Kanyakumari - Madurai - Dindigul: 300 kms in 5 hours 6 mins
- Dindigul - Salem - Bangalore: 353 kms in 5 hours
- Bangalore - Anantapur: 260 kms in 3 hours 50 mins
- Anantapur - Hyderabad: 315 kms in 4 hours 5 mins
- Hyderabad - Chegunta: 86 kms in 1 hour 27 mins

One way: 1314 kms in 19 hours and 28 mins.

Total: 2537 kms in 34 Hours and 24 mins.

Hyderabad Down 1.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

Vinu3-Color.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

Start point 1.jpg

Detailed Map.jpg

fuel log.JPG

Well,this really proves the fact that "Dreams really fly,you don't need wings,just board them if you too need to fly.Follow your dream till the limits of madness and its not possible that your dream will be away from you".

Well,I knew that our biker guy,AMG will be the first one to comment here,so happened.
Hoping to see such a thread dedicated to him soon.

KUDOS TO MR.VINU,I REALLY ADMIRE HIM.

great interview and kudos @ vinu. you have become big inspiration for us bikers buddy..keep it up!! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Awesome stuff Vinu and I really mean it. [thumbsup]

You covered GOOOD distance in such a little time and proved google maps or whatever it is that the same distance can be covered in 34 hours and 24 mins instead of 37 hours. Now I am wondering why did google kept 37 hours for this great run [thinking]or rather what would they do with 2 hours and 36 mins (sleep)!

Look at your eyes man, they are RED with fire I must say. It is indeed a great accomplishment and we would like to see next trip on you R6 soon.

All the best and God bless.

@ AMG,

I did not know you also has similar plans in store. So when are you starting your run man.

Today heard unfortunate news that VINU died after struggling with life and death while he was admitted to hospital due to a fatal accident.

R.I.P.

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
Today heard unfortunate news that VINU died after struggling with life and death while he was admitted to hospital due to a fatal accident.

R.I.P.
I’m terribly shocked to know this. I had a little much interaction with Vinu sometime ago and all I can say is that he was a really enthusiastic biker with many hopes in his eyes for future. Indian automotive industry has lost a budding a talent today. My heartfelt condolences to his family. Rest in peace, Vinu. You rock and always will.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I too came across this news today itself and was really surprised to hear this.Well,maybe he wasn't that famous this time but still Indian biking has lost a star of it.His enthusiasm was simply outstanding.May his soul rest in peace.

Top Bottom