The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Automotive Library (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/)
-   -   The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/4755-definitive-petrol-v-s-diesel-calculator.html)

shailinder 8th September 2011 04:45 PM

The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have done a calculation a long back for myself and my friend. Please have a look at it or plan something similar to determine what is better for you.

Also feel free to ask anything regarding the sheet attached below.

I forgot to colour KMs column, you are requested to change it as per your DAILY running. Also you can change number of days from 20 days to your requirement to determine exact figure.


Note: Please do not attempt to copy or distribute the attached file without due credit to the actual source. Thanks.

Surfer 8th September 2011 04:59 PM

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback
 
shailinder Nice work. your excel sheet is very helpful.

jalex 8th September 2011 06:03 PM

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback
 
Excellent calculator Shailendar. This will benefit a lot of people. [thumbsup]

Thetraveller 8th September 2011 06:24 PM

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback
 
Execllent tool for people who want to make a decision. Good job there.

There will always be some people though who just want to upgrade or change their driving options from Petrol to diesel or vice versa, considering they have Vit M [:)]

Vishwas 8th September 2011 09:58 PM

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback
 
That was good Shalinder,Thanks for prepareing such a nice tool.

shailinder 9th September 2011 11:46 AM

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfer (Post 98574)
shailinder Nice work. your excel sheet is very helpful.

Thanks Surfer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalex (Post 98595)
Excellent calculator Shailendar. This will benefit a lot of people.

Thanks Jalex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thetraveller (Post 98599)
Execllent tool for people who want to make a decision. Good job there.

There will always be some people though who just want to upgrade or change their driving options from Petrol to diesel or vice versa, considering they have Vit M

[lol]well Vitamin "M" is always important to make a decision. But people shifting from Petrol to Diesel or vice versa should think for a while whether the switch from P to D is actually going to make sense or not. Because by paying 1 lakh extra and interest on EMI (if opted) would help them buy a higher version. FOOD for thought ! Yes it is

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishwas (Post 98628)
That was good Shalinder,Thanks for prepareing such a nice tool.

Thanks Vishwas.

350Z 9th September 2011 04:24 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Fantastic creation Shalinder. You deserve applaud for it. Thanks for sharing this useful tool. I can bet, it is going to help many of our forum members and visitors alike.

Drive Safe,
350Z

shailinder 9th September 2011 04:30 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Thanks Vibhor for appreciating it. You are right it will definitely assist people to come to a conclusion before considering Diesel over Petrol purely on buying a cheap fuel (Diesel).

dodge_v1per 9th September 2011 05:59 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
wow great tool dude but why days are only 20 and they cant be changed also ??

shailinder 9th September 2011 07:02 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dodge_v1per (Post 98753)
wow great tool dude but why days are only 20 and they cant be changed also ??

Thanks dodge. [thumbsup]

It is not nothing to do with 20 days. Actually on assumption I created it that people tend to travel for work 20 days in a month (generally) keeping Sat / Sun as off days. Moreover, week end trips be it outside or to relatives or general roaming in cities are either limited or not necessary on every single Sat / Sun.

So based on these assumption, I have mentioned 20 days. But if you or anyone would like to change the count. They can increase / decrease based on their individual needs and see the results.

This tool or calculation sheet is for the reference and can be twisted based on individual needs. [cheers]
I hope, I have clarified you doubt.

shailinder 9th September 2011 07:21 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Friends,

I have revised the file and attached again. Please have a look and suggest if that makes more sense. Similarly, you are also requested to send your request for a calculation based on this principal (if required).

I would be happy to extend that support.

'venom' 10th September 2011 08:11 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Hi, very useful calculator. thanks for preparing it !

cooldhaya 10th September 2011 08:18 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Shailinder that's a very good calculation , will definitely be useful for many people who are involved in this dilemma!

Surfer 10th September 2011 09:10 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

keeping Sat / Sun as off days.
IT people [:D]

shailinder 12th September 2011 09:49 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 'venom' (Post 98954)
Hi, very useful calculator. thanks for preparing it !

Thanks Venom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldhaya (Post 98956)
Shailinder that's a very good calculation , will definitely be useful for many people who are involved in this dilemma!

Thanks Dhaya. Well the reason behind preparing this sheet was the same dilemma [lol]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfer (Post 98979)
IT people [:D]

Hmmmm. Kind of of [lol]

Akash 12th September 2011 10:04 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Excellent work Shailinder. A well deserved 5 stars to this thread. I hope our members especially ones in dilemma are benefited by your effort.

shailinder 12th September 2011 10:19 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash (Post 99185)
Excellent work Shailinder. A well deserved 5 stars to this thread. I hope our members especially ones in dilemma are benefited by your effort.

Thanks Akash.

Umang 13th September 2011 01:00 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
hey buddy great work kudos! choosing between petrol and diesel is most common thing new car buyers are confused about thesedays!!

Vivian 15th September 2011 09:51 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
For reaching at par to the petrol car's ownership cost a diesel car should run around 40000 km. After this point diesel car will have high maintenance costs when petrol car is free of maintenance upto 100000 km. So buy a diesel car only if you are going to use it more than 150000 km or above

shailinder 16th September 2011 12:19 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Umang (Post 99498)
hey buddy great work kudos! choosing between petrol and diesel is most common thing new car buyers are confused about thesedays!!

Thanks Umang. In fact that was the exact idea behind creating this sheet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivian (Post 100179)
For reaching at par to the petrol car's ownership cost a diesel car should run around 40000 km. After this point diesel car will have high maintenance costs when petrol car is free of maintenance upto 100000 km. So buy a diesel car only if you are going to use it more than 150000 km or above

You are right Vivian to some extent.

Figoian 16th September 2011 03:26 PM

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shailinder (Post 98732)
Because by paying 1 lakh extra and interest on EMI (if opted) would help them buy a higher version. FOOD for thought !

Excellent Tool Shailender.

Agree with your above point. However, one cant be sure that when the running would increase. In case, it may increase from 30 to 60 KMs per day, then investing on Diesel car isnt waste.

The other point is, if you compare the price hike trend between P & D, D wins. The probablity of hike in Diesel price is at least 1:5 of Petrol.

JazzSelect 16th September 2011 03:59 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Shailinder, Good work.
realistic calculations. Really helpful

shailinder 16th September 2011 04:22 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzSelect (Post 100319)
Shailinder, Good work.
realistic calculations. Really helpful

Thanks Jazzselect. [:)]

monil 16th September 2011 06:28 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Shailender for a useful tool. Such working really helps.

I had prepared a similar working for myself before taking final decision on economic factors. Would like to share the same for your reference. Hope it will be of some use to you frndz. [cheers]

mastersquall 16th September 2011 08:55 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
first i was scratching my head what the hell is this happening after looking at 1min. i understood . great tool you put have .
+rep to you

'venom' 21st September 2011 12:13 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by monil (Post 100363)
Thanks Shailender for a useful tool. Such working really helps.

I had prepared a similar working for myself before taking final decision on economic factors. Would like to share the same for your reference. Hope it will be of some use to you frndz. [cheers]

Hi, very useful sheet. other ppl can also make this when choosing for most economical car !

shailinder 21st September 2011 01:02 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by monil (Post 100363)
Thanks Shailender for a useful tool. Such working really helps.

I had prepared a similar working for myself before taking final decision on economic factors. Would like to share the same for your reference. Hope it will be of some use to you frndz. [cheers]

Great work Monil. I am sure it is going to help people to calculate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'venom' (Post 101477)
Hi, very useful sheet. other ppl can also make this when choosing for most economical car !

Absolutely. People should prepare such calculations based on their requirements and they would definitely get benefited by this.

P3T3R 28th September 2011 12:14 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Two friends recently changed over to Diesel from Petrol. One from a Santro to a Dzire and the other from an Esteem to a Figo. The monthly fuel bills have come down from 15-16K to 4-5K per month. That's a saving of about 10-11k which is more or less the EMI for the new car.

shailinder 28th September 2011 09:53 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Great news Peter. I am sure your friends did some calculation and not just looked at the fuel prices blindly to make a decision.

Anyway, how much average they are getting ? Secondly, the savings you are referring to is virtual or hard ?

Surfer 28th September 2011 11:01 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

The monthly fuel bills have come down from 15-16K to 4-5K per month
Cool, how much their monthly running ?

amiti 29th September 2011 01:17 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by P3T3R (Post 103191)
Two friends recently changed over to Diesel from Petrol. One from a Santro to a Dzire and the other from an Esteem to a Figo. The monthly fuel bills have come down from 15-16K to 4-5K per month. That's a saving of about 10-11k which is more or less the EMI for the new car.

Peter, didn't quite get your point. Unless I have lost something while reading.

Do you mean to say that changing from Santro to Dzire saved cost @ 10k? Also was the new car's price taken into consideration?

P3T3R 29th September 2011 02:49 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 103530)
Peter, didn't quite get your point. Unless I have lost something while reading.

Do you mean to say that changing from Santro to Dzire saved cost @ 10k? Also was the new car's price taken into consideration?

The fuel cost using the Santro was around 15K per month. The fuel cost for the same running was 5K with the Dzire. That's a saving of 10K on fuel bills. 10K per month more or less takes care of a 5 Lakh loan.

amiti 29th September 2011 08:13 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by P3T3R (Post 103554)
The fuel cost using the Santro was around 15K per month. The fuel cost for the same running was 5K with the Dzire. That's a saving of 10K on fuel bills. 10K per month more or less takes care of a 5 Lakh loan.

So here is my question. I am driving i10 auto currently and my fuel bills are @ INR 7000 per month for 1000 kms a month.

If I sell my car and buy,
1. Diesel car like vista what would be my savings?
2. I buy a alto k10 what would be my savings?
3. Should I continue using my i10 auto, am I saving here??

Shailinder, please put your calculator to work. I don't want to sell my car (actually I am keeping this car for my dad, but for sake of example assume I am selling it).

So which one does really make sense. Assume I would be buying a car in cash.

monil 29th September 2011 11:45 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi.. i think there is not as big advantage as mentioned. Posting some working, savings are significant though and surely worth a change for that sort of usage.

I have assumed Petrol prices before last hike and mileage is indicative in city driving. [:)]

P3T3R 30th September 2011 10:19 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by monil (Post 103696)
Hi.. i think there is not as big advantage as mentioned. Posting some working, savings are significant though and surely worth a change for that sort of usage.

I have assumed Petrol prices before last hike and mileage is indicative in city driving. [:)]

I have not done the calculations but just mentioned what was told. Of course the car will have to be used for a few months and the costs averaged out to get a clearer picture.

Figoian 30th September 2011 11:40 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 103635)
So here is my question. I am driving i10 auto currently and my fuel bills are @ INR 7000 per month for 1000 kms a month.

If I sell my car and buy,
1. Diesel car like vista what would be my savings?
2. I buy a alto k10 what would be my savings?
3. Should I continue using my i10 auto, am I saving here??

Shailinder, please put your calculator to work.

Hi Amit

Here is my piece of working.

In addition, you must consider the addition maintenance costs & additional EMI + Interest for the 1 Lakh you invest on a Diesel Car. IMO, even after considering those, the saving would be substantial.

amiti 30th September 2011 02:43 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Thanks Figoian for the calculations. Mileage of my car is 12 km/l in City. Also I will buy a car in cash and not on EMI. So considering these factors and maintainance costs, which one would be a practical choice?

Figoian 30th September 2011 03:25 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
My comments are in Bold Italic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiti (Post 103814)
Mileage of my car is 12 km/l in City.

Just 12? Surprising... [surprise] Hyundai claims it to be 20+ and I thought you may get at least 16.


Also I will buy a car in cash and not on EMI.

Thats cool. So you don't pay more interest on extra money.


So considering these factors and maintainance costs, which one would be a practical choice?

Then the wise choice would be Diesel, whichever the car it maybe.


350Z 30th September 2011 04:04 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Figoian (Post 103819)
Just 12? Surprising...Hyundai claims it to be 20+ and I thought you may get at least 16.

Don't forget - He is using Hyundai i10 Automatic Transmission.

Drive Safe,
350Z

amiti 30th September 2011 09:43 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 350Z (Post 103824)
Don't forget - He is using Hyundai i10 Automatic Transmission.

Drive Safe,
350Z

That's correct. I own i10 auto. The comfort is unmatched, but the mileage is low. My expenses towards petrol are 7000 INR per month. Also I know many i10 manual owners, whose mileage in city is lesser than my i10 auto.

Would it be wise to spend 6 lacs on new car to save 4000 INR per month? or if its petrol car like alto k10, 4 lacs to save 3500 INR per month, taking into consideration ONLY increased petrol costs.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2018, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.