The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Automotive Library (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/)
-   -   The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/4755-definitive-petrol-v-s-diesel-calculator.html)

shailinder 24th May 2012 03:28 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Dear Brandoo,

How about you putting up your excel sheet of calculation up here so that people can understand your logical logic and should not waste invaluable time in my flawed logic. [surprise]

Note: Please do not give any reference to another site link. Or in other words, do not take credit of someone else's work and go for DIY. People are eagar to know your* logic.

* At least I am [:)]

har007 24th May 2012 04:09 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
I think Brandoo is right....the breakeven will be 5 years even if use is only 600kms/month.
Add to that better resale value and no tension about petrol prices=Go for diesel even if use is 600-800kms if you are planning to keep for 10+ years.

BTW-petrol prices are only going to go higher...diesel will rise but not so much because of 90% agricultural applications.

And modern diesels return around 6-7kms more than petrols !! Thats huge !!

I say go DIESEL [clap]

brandoo 24th May 2012 05:14 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shailinder (Post 165401)
Dear Brandoo,
Note: Please do not give any reference to another site link. Or in other words, do not take credit of someone else's work and go for DIY. People are eagar to know your* logic.
* At least I am [:)]

I have given the link already and no harm in providing link, its beyond my understanding why you are so averse to the idea of link.
In my calculation I have factored in Insurance, maintenance, resale, running cost, interest, Ex showroom price of the car. With these factors break even was at 600 kms for 60 months. This is as simple as it goes.
B/w I have attached the excel sheet with new petrol price

Quote:

Originally Posted by har007 (Post 165421)
I think Brandoo is right....the breakeven will be 5 years even if use is only 600kms/month.
I say go DIESEL [clap]

Thank you Har007 for supporting what is factual.

shailinder 24th May 2012 06:26 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by har007 (Post 165421)
I think Brandoo is right....the breakeven will be 5 years even if use is only 600kms/month.
Add to that better resale value and no tension about petrol prices=Go for diesel even if use is 600-800kms if you are planning to keep for 10+ years.

BTW-petrol prices are only going to go higher...diesel will rise but not so much because of 90% agricultural applications.

And modern diesels return around 6-7kms more than petrols !! Thats huge !!

I say go DIESEL [clap]

Dear Har007,

I wish Brandoo is right but please help me understand the base of your calculation ! How can you cover a difference of 1.5 lakhs (assuming the difference between Diesel and Petrol varient for the same model.) by running a Diesel car for just 600-800Kms or for that matter 1000kms a month.

I also support Diesel and people should definately buy it provided they are getting the gains at the end. Rest it is their choice.

Attachment 51441

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandoo (Post 165442)
I have given the link already and no harm in providing link, its beyond my understanding why you are so averse to the idea of link.
In my calculation I have factored in Insurance, maintenance, resale, running cost, interest, Ex showroom price of the car. With these factors break even was at 600 kms for 60 months. This is as simple as it goes.
B/w I have attached the excel sheet with new petrol price


Thank you Har007 for supporting what is factual.

Please help me understand in which category of car difference between Diesel and Petrol is 28K only ?

Attachment 51440

For the benefit of all I have attached the file with updated petrol prices (Delhi).

har007 24th May 2012 08:16 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
My Logic:-

For this I am comparing Brio petrol and Ritz diesel, one of the best cars in their segments.

Brio:
efficiency-12(Full AC-city)
petrol price-75(in my city)
Amt per km=75/12=6.25 Rs [frustration]

Ritz:
efficiency-19(Full AC-city)
diesel price-46(in my city)
Amt per km=46/19=2.42 Rs

Price difference between base models of both-Rs 130000
Running-800km/month(average)
One year savings=((800*6.25)-(800*2.42))*12=3064*12=36768
End of five years=Rs 183840

For someone like me who keeps his car for more than 10 yeras, diesel makes sense.


Other factors:
1) Diesel prices may adopt dual pricing method so car diesel prices may increase drastically making all my calculations baseless.
2) RESALE [clap] -Swift and Ritz diesels will enjoy huuuuge resale value maybe even 1.5-2 L more at the end of many years.
3) Diesel will give you peace of mind. Many trips which you would avoid because of petrol will be made if you are running diesel.
4) Rs 130000 extra will generate 8% interest which I didnt calculate. But resale nullifies it.
4) AC Always ON !! Biggest luxury.
5) Petrol prices are only going to go further north. Remember that always !!

Conclusion-Actually either petrol or diesel will be OK for this running. But diesel rules for me because of peace of mind regarding hikes, AC always, Turbo [clap] and well....I will just use the car more !!
A diesel car always increases your monthly running.

P.S. This calculation may be stupid....I dont have a lot of financial experience.
Actually I am confused between Brio SMT and Ritz LDi at the moment. Please comment on my calculation so that I can make an informed decision.

brandoo 24th May 2012 11:24 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shailinder (Post 165461)
Dear Har007,


Please help me understand in which category of car difference between Diesel and Petrol is 28K only ?

Attachment 51440

For the benefit of all I have attached the file with updated petrol prices (Delhi).

Its yearly i.e. 140000/5= 28000
Price difference of 1 L at showroom and 40 K on the account of interest.

brandoo 25th May 2012 10:01 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Lets move beyond Petrol V/s Diesel and propose something which is doable, radical and most reliable.

My take on Cars looking at the current pattern:
1. Promote cycling to work, help in mitigating climate change, reduce carbon emissions, health benefits. Only prerequisite: dedicated cyclist lanes as no need to buy car for less than 400 Kms per month i.e. 18 kms (22 work days) both ways, one can easily paddle.

B/w there is a piece of write up in TOI, please go through that, 'll help.

shailinder 25th May 2012 11:40 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
1 Attachment(s)
Dear Har007,

I have made some calculations for you. Please have a look at the following picture and see if that is making some sense.

Moreover, you can refer to my excel sheet attached in previous post.

Note: Consider annual saying as your break even point of paying the premium towards Diesel car.

brandoo 25th May 2012 11:59 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Shailinder,
You are prompt in giving some calculation in your own format with intention to prove your point, this amount to rigidity in argument with no intention to understand the logic. Hence I would not like to contribute any further. The basic objective of the thread it to provide bias free analysis to help forum users and members. I give up with this final comment. Going by your advice many will repent later with their decision to buy a petrol car with 2200 kms/ monthly running

shailinder 25th May 2012 01:00 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandoo (Post 165590)
Shailinder,
You are prompt in giving some calculation in your own format with intention to prove your point, this amount to rigidity in argument with no intention to understand the logic. Hence I would not like to contribute any further. The basic objective of the thread it to provide bias free analysis to help forum users and members. I give up with this final comment. Going by your advice many will repent later with their decision to buy a petrol car with 2200 kms/ monthly running

Brandoo,

Do not get disheartened that I am suggesting something in my format. Reason is plain and simple that I understand this format only. As far as promoting by idea, I am not saying (READ AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING, please read the quoted bold line below) that one should not blindly follow my calculation mechanism but use or develop their own. People are free to calculate the way want to and they must do it. All I am saying that do not buy a Diesel driven car unless your running supports that or you are blindly in love with Diesel and that's it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shailinder (Post 165585)
I have done a calculation a long back for myself and my friend. Please have a look at it or plan something similar to determine what is better for you.

* Above quote taken from my first post in this thread.


indiatraveller 25th May 2012 02:26 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandoo (Post 165552)
Promote cycling to work, help in mitigating climate change, reduce carbon emissions, health benefits. Only prerequisite: dedicated cyclist lanes as no need to buy car for less than 400 Kms per month i.e. 18 kms (22 work days) both ways, one can easily paddle

Frankly, I am too scared to ride a bicycle on Indian roads. Given the increase in vehicular traffic over the last decade, its scary to ride a bicycle in traffic. I had a cycle during my school days (12 years back). I used to love riding it to my cousin's place....not anymore. Dedicated cycle lanes might help me be a little more confident, but I don't see any efforts taken by our gurus at the state / center to initiate this.

rekharam 26th May 2012 08:49 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by indiatraveller (Post 165641)
Dedicated cycle lanes might help me be a little more confident, but I don't see any efforts taken by our gurus at the state / center to initiate this.

+1. Even I decided to take cycle to my office as it is just 5 km from home. But then decided it is not safe to ride a bicycle here. Though our govt. may provides in future (which won't happen in any near future) a dedicated lane for bicycle as in some developed countries, our autos, buses, taxis will take that lane. It will be more scarier.

ilango[speed thirst] 26th May 2012 09:06 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
We do make noise when every time the fuel price is hiked.
we do numerous calculation and later ob back to normal.

The opposition stage some dramas's in road , gaining people's attention , its another feather for the next election.

Have you all wondered why there is no noise or commotion for other commodities.
No political parties stage protest for that.?

These cycle ideas creeped into internet forums way back in 2005 when there was a increase in petrol price .
still the cycle idea'd people drive cars.

For the topic ,

even if petrol is 110/- per litre and diesel at 80/- per litre ,
the petrol car makes sense if driven less than 1000 to 1500 kms. considering petrol car gives a average of 12 and diesel car gives a average of 18kmpl.

har007 26th May 2012 04:00 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilango[speed thirst] (Post 165823)
We do make noise when every time the fuel price is hiked.
we do numerous calculation and later ob back to normal.

The opposition stage some dramas's in road , gaining people's attention , its another feather for the next election.

Have you all wondered why there is no noise or commotion for other commodities.
No political parties stage protest for that.?

These cycle ideas creeped into internet forums way back in 2005 when there was a increase in petrol price .
still the cycle idea'd people drive cars.

For the topic ,

even if petrol is 110/- per litre and diesel at 80/- per litre ,
the petrol car makes sense if driven less than 1000 to 1500 kms. considering petrol car gives a average of 12 and diesel car gives a average of 18kmpl.

Please explain how petrol is better for that running ??
I wrote my calculations on page 8.
I have this running and is confused between diesel and petrol.

vaibhav 26th May 2012 09:45 PM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator
 
I have some point to add

Slowly and steadily vehicles on the road are increasing causing longer idle time . So That means in coming years more fuel will be required to cover same distance . In this it will be better to have diesel [surprise]


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.