The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Automotive Library (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/)
-   -   The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/4755-definitive-petrol-v-s-diesel-calculator.html)

Akash 12th September 2011 11:04 AM

Re: The Definitive Petrol v/s Diesel Calculator

Excellent work Shailinder. A well deserved 5 stars to this thread. I hope our members especially ones in dilemma are benefited by your effort.

shailinder 12th September 2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash (Post 99185)
Excellent work Shailinder. A well deserved 5 stars to this thread. I hope our members especially ones in dilemma are benefited by your effort.

Thanks Akash.

Umang 13th September 2011 02:00 PM

hey buddy great work kudos! choosing between petrol and diesel is most common thing new car buyers are confused about thesedays!!

Vivian 15th September 2011 10:51 PM

For reaching at par to the petrol car's ownership cost a diesel car should run around 40000 km. After this point diesel car will have high maintenance costs when petrol car is free of maintenance upto 100000 km. So buy a diesel car only if you are going to use it more than 150000 km or above

shailinder 16th September 2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umang (Post 99498)
hey buddy great work kudos! choosing between petrol and diesel is most common thing new car buyers are confused about thesedays!!

Thanks Umang. In fact that was the exact idea behind creating this sheet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivian (Post 100179)
For reaching at par to the petrol car's ownership cost a diesel car should run around 40000 km. After this point diesel car will have high maintenance costs when petrol car is free of maintenance upto 100000 km. So buy a diesel car only if you are going to use it more than 150000 km or above

You are right Vivian to some extent.

Figoian 16th September 2011 04:26 PM

Re: Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback

Quote:

Originally Posted by shailinder (Post 98732)
Because by paying 1 lakh extra and interest on EMI (if opted) would help them buy a higher version. FOOD for thought !

Excellent Tool Shailender.

Agree with your above point. However, one cant be sure that when the running would increase. In case, it may increase from 30 to 60 KMs per day, then investing on Diesel car isnt waste.

The other point is, if you compare the price hike trend between P & D, D wins. The probablity of hike in Diesel price is at least 1:5 of Petrol.

JazzSelect 16th September 2011 04:59 PM

Shailinder, Good work.
realistic calculations. Really helpful

shailinder 16th September 2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzSelect (Post 100319)
Shailinder, Good work.
realistic calculations. Really helpful

Thanks Jazzselect. [:)]

monil 16th September 2011 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Shailender for a useful tool. Such working really helps.

I had prepared a similar working for myself before taking final decision on economic factors. Would like to share the same for your reference. Hope it will be of some use to you frndz. [cheers]

mastersquall 16th September 2011 09:55 PM

first i was scratching my head what the hell is this happening after looking at 1min. i understood . great tool you put have .
+rep to you

'venom' 21st September 2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monil (Post 100363)

I had prepared a similar working for myself before taking final decision on economic factors. Would like to share the same for your reference. Hope it will be of some use to you frndz. [cheers]

Hi, very useful sheet. other ppl can also make this when choosing for most economical car !

shailinder 21st September 2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monil (Post 100363)

Great work Monil. I am sure it is going to help people to calculate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'venom' (Post 101477)
Hi, very useful sheet. other ppl can also make this when choosing for most economical car !

Absolutely. People should prepare such calculations based on their requirements and they would definitely get benefited by this.

P3T3R 28th September 2011 01:14 AM

Two friends recently changed over to Diesel from Petrol. One from a Santro to a Dzire and the other from an Esteem to a Figo. The monthly fuel bills have come down from 15-16K to 4-5K per month. That's a saving of about 10-11k which is more or less the EMI for the new car.

shailinder 28th September 2011 10:53 AM

Great news Peter. I am sure your friends did some calculation and not just looked at the fuel prices blindly to make a decision.

Anyway, how much average they are getting ? Secondly, the savings you are referring to is virtual or hard ?

Surfer 28th September 2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

The monthly fuel bills have come down from 15-16K to 4-5K per month
Cool, how much their monthly running ?