Guide On Getting Your Car Registered Yourself with RTO

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I am going to encapsulate my experience and process of registering a car on own (without broker) in this particular post. I registered my car on my own last week only. Believe me it will not take more than 2 hours if you have all the documents in place.

Dealer was quoting the registration expenses as 2500 INR which was quite uphill as the new car registration charges are 625 INR only. So I decided to give it a try on my own. To be frank I was not sure that the whole process will be this smooth & crisp. Now I regret not taking this route when my bike was registered few years back.

I reached the RTO (Khairatabad, Hyd) office sharp at 10:00 AM on a beautiful Saturday morning (I understand it is pretty tough to wake up early on weekends [:D]). Parked the vehicle at the designated place.

Step 1 : The process begins with verifying the completeness of documents & getting it attested by an official who checks the documents and even arrange the document on his own ( nice gesture ). I was there at 10:00 AM and this particular counter opens around 10:30 AM. The queue was already in place. The counter opened at 10:40 AM. The RTO official checked my documents & verified it.

The documents should be arranged in the following order:

• Form 20
  • Form 21
  • Form 22
  • Insurance Photo Copy
  • Temporary Registration
  • e-Seva(Life Tax) certificate
  • Invoice (RTA Copy)
  • Address Proof Photo Copy
  • Pan Card Photo Copy

Step 2: Post this verification of documents you need to get a coupon from the adjacent counter. These counters open till 12:30 PM only so being an early bird will reap dividends.

Step 3: I was directed to go to the 2nd floor of the same building to make the payments. The guard checks your coupon and let you come in. There are around 15 counters meant to serve different purposes. I was told to go to the counter number 15 to make the payments. Documents are checked here once again and I was asked to furnish 625 INR. I got a receipt of the payments made by me and the break up is as follows:

• Application Fee = 200
  • Service Charge = 200
  • Smart Card Fee = 200
  • Postal Charges = 25

Step 4: After charges are paid i was told to go to the counter number 8 for a digital signature.

Step 5: I was directed to go the vehicle Inspector (who normally sit under a tree nearby the parking in Khairatabad RTO). I showed him the payment receipt and he told me to take pencil print (this was the toughest part of the whole process) of the chassis number(below driver seat) on two forms.

Step 6: After this the vehicle inspector will sign the pencil print of the chassis number and will keep the document file with himself. Thats all , yes it is over. The whole process took me 1 hour 45 minutes to be exact.

My family was shocked to see me back home at 1200 PM and even more shocked after they learnt that the registration is also done. [clap]

Tricks & Tips to make the registration process less cumbersome:

1. Make sure to visit your particular RTO website. You will find many information which are quite beneficial. Please also go through the list of the documents which qualify as the address proofs.
  2. Arrange all your documents in the order mentioned above. Keep a photo copies of the documents with you just for your record purpose.
  3. Make sure to carry pencil, glue stick , pen , stapler loaded with staples and enough currency notes to pay registration charges [lol]. Make sure you have exact registration amount kept aside.
  4. Make sure to visit the RTO office as early as possible.
  5. If possible be accompanied with someone from fairer sex as the RTO still have different queues for men's & women's.
  6. Be patient and polite. It helps.

After two days I received my smart card without paying a single penny as bribe. Believe me this gives an immense feeling of achievement.

Urge all the members to stop the menace of paying extra bucks to agents/brokers/dealers.

Regards,
Aks

Re: New Ford Figo ZXI Diamond White

Never ever heard someone going through the vehicle registration process on their own. You truly are a braveheart man! Kudos!

After reading the post, it seems like the process is not so difficult as made out by those dealers:)

Thanks a lot for the post and valuable information and hearty congratulations on the new ride!
[cheers]

Thanks for elaborating the process Aks_hyd i see from your post that its not much difficult. And also i think the RTO officials are good at your place, i think the same cannot be expected throughout India.

congratulations on your new buy, looks smashing in white.
Regarding your registeration process well thats exactly what i have been doing since last 12 years since my M800 days for every two wheelers i had and for myindica as well.
Enjoy your ride and keep updating your thread.
Even i was able to get my choice no. for mere half the price or even lesser in few cases compared to what dealer rto agent was asking.Also you save a bit for registeration charges as well.

Excellent job you've done there.[clap] I hope people learn after reading this and will start to go for registration formalities themselves. If people start doing this on wide scale, Middle men will become an endangered species at the R.T.A Offices throughout the country. Again hats off to you my friend.[thumbsup]

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Guide: How To Register Your Car Yourself in India

Good one ! cheers!
helpfull and sure can be given a try.

I hope it mainly depends on rto.
here my dad's friend tried registering the bullet he bought from chennai to register here in pondicherry- reason in pondicherry the waiting period was 6 months and in chennai 30 days and less.

he had a bad time registering it.

Pondicherry tata motor dealer , charges 1500 for registering & transport charge

very good info dude but somethings will differ from rto to rto..and OT question - what are parking charges??

wow great job buddy. very helpful..congo!! [glasses]

Thread Starter #10

Never ever heard someone going through the vehicle registration process on their own. You truly are a braveheart man! Kudos!

After reading the post, it seems like the process is not so difficult as made out by those dealers:)

Thanks a lot for the post and valuable information and hearty congratulations on the new ride!
\
Thanks a lot!!! Yes the process is pretty simple and straightforward if all the documents are complete .

Thanks for elaborating the process Aks_hyd i see from your post that its not much difficult. And also i think the RTO officials are good at your place, i think the same cannot be expected throughout India.
Yeah to a limited experience I have, i can say atleast @ Hyderabad it is pretty smooth.

congratulations on your new buy, looks smashing in white.
Regarding your registeration process well thats exactly what i have been doing since last 12 years since my M800 days for every two wheelers i had and for myindica as well.
Enjoy your ride and keep updating your thread.
Even i was able to get my choice no. for mere half the price or even lesser in few cases compared to what dealer rto agent was asking.Also you save a bit for registeration charges as well.
Thanks Vijay. It is great to know that you have been registering all your vechicle on your own. The dealers charges are exhorbitant.

Excellent job you've done there. I hope people learn after reading this and will start to go for registration formalities themselves. If people start doing this on wide scale, Middle men will become an endangered species at the R.T.A Offices throughout the country. Again hats off to you my friend.
Thanks Jalex. Ditto!!

Excellent job there, Aks. Your post has been moved to this section from ownership review (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/3895-new-ford-figo-zxi-diamond-white.html) so that it could receive the much required attention and also benefit many other members of this community. Thanks for spending your valuable time to share this with us here.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks 350Z for moving it where it belongs [:)].

ilango[speed thirst];84709 said:
Good one ! cheers!
helpfull and sure can be given a try.

I hope it mainly depends on rto.
here my dad's friend tried registering the bullet he bought from chennai to register here in pondicherry- reason in pondicherry the waiting period was 6 months and in chennai 30 days and less.

he had a bad time registering it.

Pondicherry tata motor dealer , charges 1500 for registering & transport charge
Thanks Ilango. True it might vary from RTO to RTO.

very good info dude but somethings will differ from rto to rto..and OT question - what are parking charges??
True...Parking Charges = ZERO [clap]

wow great job buddy. very helpful..congo!!
Thanks a lot Umang

Hi, now only saw this topic. amazing work by you but you were also partially lucky because its not easy to get work done in govt offices. [;)]

Hi Aks Hyd,
Hats off to you for doing the unthinkable & in such a fluid lucid manner. I'm going to take a print & keep it with me for future ref of friends/relatives. I'm really happy for you that things worked out so well wihout any sort of glitch. It goes to show that even in a place like our country, the public machinery does work if you want it to. [thumbsup]
Cheers
jazzy

Top Bottom