How To Avoid ‘Sleep’ While Driving at Night?

Thread Starter #1
How “NOT” to fall asleep while driving?

DSC04711.jpg

Of late, we have been discussing about the accidents which have been as a result of driver falling asleep. Although it does sound strange as how a person who is behind the wheel can be so foolish to sleep even though its result may prove fatal.
BUT
The fact is, in such a situation when the driver is mentally or physically tired, whatsoever may be the reason, he doesn’t realize when he falls asleep.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, this happened with me last month when I was driving back to my site. To and fro the journey is about 200kms. I started for the city (from my site) at about 6am, reached in 2hours, did the work there, and was returning back at about 5.30 to 6pm in the evening. Now this place being Naxal affected, the time which I was travelling was pretty dangerous which is why I was driving a faster than usual. Given the above details, it is imaginable the amount of fatigue I was going through.
Normally I take a tea break in such cases; however, since I was driving during late hours and that too in the Naxal belt, I avoided any halt/break. This further added to the fatigue which although I wasn’t feeling physically, but probably, my head was exhausted.

Since it was the evening time, I was the lone driver on the stretch. I hardly came across any vehicle for 10-15kms which further added to relaxation. The music was at regular volume, windows rolled up, and the road pretty good. I was driving and all of a sudden I slammed the breaks and drove over to the roadside.
YES, I had caught sleep for a fraction of second. I couldn’t recollect the moment I did this drastic mistake but, YES it had been done and fortunately I was not driving along the Ghat Section which was hardly 300-500mtr ahead of this place or else I realize the worst would have happened and you wont have got a chance to read this article[;)].

Although I was wide awake by now, I realized that precautionary measure must be taken so that this doesn’t get repeated, given the fact that I was still 25kms from my site.

I took out the bottle, splashed some water on my face (especially eyes). The option of having tea was still not considered, hence I took out the coke and had some, although I was not sure whether it really helps. After ensuring that I was completely fresh (read WIDE AWAKE). I continued my journey and reached my destination safely.

Now this kind of thing happened to me for the first time. To be honest with you guys, although I was a bit tired, it never felt that I needed to have some sleep, but it happened without me realizing it.

After this incident I concluded that even if the driver is confident of his capability of cruising non-stop for hour’s altogether, he should do so only after ensuring a sound sleep and optimum relaxation before starting for the journey.
Hence in order to ensure you do not end up in such a situation, I have penned down following measures which could avoid you from falling asleep while you are on the go.

• Take adequate amount of sleep when you are going to drive for long hours altogether. This is the first and foremost thing required for a safe and enjoyable drive.

• Open the window occasionally to allow the wind to freshen you up. Sounds strange but works well.

• Take a tea/coffee break if driving a fairly long distance. If it can help us keep awake a night before exams why not during the long drives.

• Use wet tissues to wipe the tiredness off your face.

• Avoid usage of any medicines/alcoholic drinks/drugs before setting off for a drive.

• If you are finding yourself too comfortable in the cabin, make sure you let in some air. Be careful, too much of comfort may relax you more than what is required during driving.

• Switch to radio instead of your USB/CD music. The conversation on radio programs definitely help in keeping the senses awake.

DSC04254.JPG

Stay Awake and Drive Safe[:)]

Last edited:
A very good article and also a much needed one[:)]
What you have ststed is very true when driving long stretches, I usually have to travel about 300 kms at a stretch and always make it a point to have a small break, radio and fresh helps a lot in keeping you awake.

Mostly you have covered all the most important points.

A very good and well written article. The point you mention is very-very important. And as for breaks during long trip, i enjoy eating in dhaba it keep my stomach and mind fresh [:D]

very good article Akash. yes i agree to you on all points but I prefer having Red Bull over tea/coffee. or i try to travel with someone atleast who can keep talking nonstop. [;)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
wow both the points i wanted to add are covered [clap]

akash's - roll down the windows not just because of the wind but the noise as well.

type-r's - never ever have a sleepy passenger right next to you. Instead he should indulge in talks.

Another point - keep eating from time to time. Have a bubble gum.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Akash - Good article and well written.
@AHC - Well said. I too usually have a buble gum or chocolates like kopiko,candyman, mango bite while driving. this will help in being awake.

Last edited:
First, kudos to bringing this thread up on TAI!

Some points from my side are: Chew bubblegum throughout the journey (don't stop chewing or else you will fall asleep if you are way too tired). I didn't find the candies much effective!
Have energy drinks like redbull, tzinga, power horse etc.!

[:)] Thanks TS for starting this thread. I too had similar experience while riding alone in long run. Generally black Coffee (dont know what CCD guys call it) helps a lot is such condition than energy drinks .

But in condition where you need to keep riding/driving keep an eye on speedo/tacho and maintain slow speeds and some times a High Reving small bursts till 130-140kmph will help you stay awake. Best thing pull over to nearest petrol pump and take a power nap.

A good point raised Akash and I agree on every single point, since I am a night fighter(C'mon yaar, why should I waste my whole day when I can cover whole distance in half of the time in night?) so let me drop a few cents from my side too. Though some of my rules can be felt inappropriate but still works quite well.

• Opening the windows at a regular interval works a lot especially when the speeds are 120 and above. The wind strikes the face like someone is slapping you[;)] and hence removes drowsiness to an extent.
  • Eat some food but NEVER do overloading. Avoid heavy dishes, eat light and less is the key. Till the time you are hungry - you won't sleep. Sounds ridiculous, right? Eh, it is...but still it works quite well.
  • Drowsiness is too much, use your mobile phone and talk to your GF(Can't say if married guys will be happy talking to their wives or even their wives will be interested in hearing them for no reason at midnight[;)]). Stop the car and take 10-15 minutes and see, at the end of the call you will be again awoken and with some smileys in heart you will easily cover a hundred or two kilometers more.
  • Splash some water on your face and drive with windows open and see the effect.
  • Avoid using A/C too much. Even in summers too you can easily avoid A/C for long during late night or early morning drives. Use it periodically and it will help a lot.
  • Don't hear the songs you like else you yourself won't be able to know when your eyes revolted.
  • Better you keep speeds in three figures, because higher the speed more will be your concentration on road and less are the chances you will fell asleep.
  • If you have a companion and he/she isn't asleep then you can keep talking and the person can have the responsibility to keep you awoken but if you are alone then you can keep talking to yourself too, it really helps.
  • Fruit cakes, chips and tea/coffee etc are a must, but in a small amount.

Usually when I feel tired or sleepy, I pull over and sleep inside the car.

When I got my USA license, I drove straight 1000 miles in USA after my office on Friday evening. I was so excited and drove from 6 PM till 1 AM. After that I started to get tired and not able to drive even 10 miles to nearest rest room (It is a place where trucks and cars park and take rest in highways. They even have police officer for guarding us and AC halls and rest rooms). I slept there for two hours and was able to drive with full energy

Second incident happened last month. I usually have loads of work on month end, and I happened to travel to Chennai too from Bangalore. I was awake for an entire day in Chennai for a personal work and happened to drive back at the same day. For last 24 hrs, I didn't sleep and Chennai heat also took toll on my body. While returning back, I couldn't maintain speed as I'm tired. So I pulled over and slept for 3 hrs! Then I drove safely back to Bangalore.

Why am I saying this because, it is always better to sleep for an hour or two, if you feel tired. Your body will be energised for another longer drive. No matter whatever you do, splashing water or cool breeze can't refresh your energy level as much as a good sleep.

Our body is like a engine which needs to be idled for better performance and the only way to idle is sleeping.

Cheers,
R!

@Akash:

Wonderful tips for everyone.

Some points which I follow during night drive:

1. Always keep Biscuits, Candys, Polo and Bubblegums in car and take it during Night drive.

2.Play peppy songs with louder sound than normal. This keeps you awake.

3. If you are the lonely driver. make a call to some friends and talk some gossips.(ONLY FOR BLUETOOTH USERS)

4. If you have a person in Co-Driver seat. start some interesting conversation and drive safely.

Usually when I feel tired or sleepy, I pull over and sleep inside the car.

When I got my USA license, I drove straight 1000 miles in USA after my office on Friday evening. I was so excited and drove from 6 PM till 1 AM. After that I started to get tired and not able to drive even 10 miles to nearest rest room (It is a place where trucks and cars park and take rest in highways. They even have police officer for guarding us and AC halls and rest rooms). I slept there for two hours and was able to drive with full energy

Second incident happened last month. I usually have loads of work on month end, and I happened to travel to Chennai too from Bangalore. I was awake for an entire day in Chennai for a personal work and happened to drive back at the same day. For last 24 hrs, I didn't sleep and Chennai heat also took toll on my body. While returning back, I couldn't maintain speed as I'm tired. So I pulled over and slept for 3 hrs! Then I drove safely back to Bangalore.

Why am I saying this because, it is always better to sleep for an hour or two, if you feel tired. Your body will be energised for another longer drive. No matter whatever you do, splashing water or cool breeze can't refresh your energy level as much as a good sleep.

Our body is like a engine which needs to be idled for better performance and the only way to idle is sleeping.

Cheers,
R!
That's the best way to avoid the sleep but, you always don't have these kind of privilege.

Top Bottom