Any Tips for Driving an Automatic Car?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

True to my handle, am new to driving. I've recently picked up a Honda City V AT (long story, from Jazz to Vento to City!!). The car drives like a dream. Super silent and smooth. The automatic gearbox really helps newbies like me in taking out a large part of the stress of initial learning.

Now, are there any tips that you experts out there can offer me? I've been shifting to N with handbrake for short signals and to P for longer ones. My current daily runs are way too short for the engine to open up; so not a good time to look at fuel efficiency :-)

Any tips on when to move to L? Inclines up/down? Any other tips you have are most welcome. Thanks a lot.

Mods: Pls move the thread if this is not the relevant section. Tried searching for relevant threads, couldn't find any

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
More than a week and not a single response [surprise]

Well, let me share my own findings. On the point of using S, was advised to do so only while coming down an incline. On most inclines, while going up, D mode has been more than sufficient.

This engine loves being given some open road. Drive quality improves significantly once you are beyond stop-go traffic. So does fuel efficiency. On a drive of 70-odd km, it returned over 16kmpl (per MID, take 10-15% cut).

Not very familiar with ATs but do keep in mind one thing, avoid sudden acceleration when in crawling speeds or from stand still. This loads the AT like hell in small engines like in your city. I have driven Camry AT in US for quite sometime and this is one thing I noticed for sure. Take a decent start and then you can revv hard. Althought cars with bigger hearts like in BMWs etc. can cope up with this.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #4
Not very familiar with ATs but do keep in mind one thing, avoid sudden acceleration when in crawling speeds or from stand still. This loads the AT like hell in small engines like in your city. I have driven Camry AT in US for quite sometime and this is one thing I noticed for sure. Take a decent start and then you can revv hard. Althought cars with bigger hearts like in BMWs etc. can cope up with this.

freakdude.
Thanks. I agree. I've tried a couple of times at signals when the guys behind me got desperate, the engine lugged forward, and made a huge roar too. Figured, going easy is good both for the engine and for my stress levels ;-)

I took a TD on Skoda Rapid Petrol . Smooth like butter and noiseless in the city , but it takes longer time to speed up on the highways if need to overtake another vehicle .

How To Drive Automatic Transmission Vehical

HEy Evrey one we all know about Manual Transmission and Its Very Easy to Learn.But Now Time Change some small car have Automatic Transmission Like Ritz ,I10 etc so. Can you plz tell me how to Drive Automatic transmission car.leave your suggestions,guide ,photos and VIdeos ,we discuss about This [:D]

350Z

Core Team
Hi all,

Any tips on when to move to L? Inclines up/down? Any other tips you have are most welcome. Thanks a lot.
N=Neutral, D=Drive, P=Park, as you know very well. L (Low gear)-> 1 -> 2 successively for steep & steeper rise or descent (as using low gears in manual transmission).

One important tip:- Never push car or tow car even in "N" position, that might damage your drive train, which is usual practice if car stalls amongst traffic or mid road, or sometime battery down (as is common practice in MT cars. Even don't tow car while front/rear wheels elevated by towing vehicle.

Last edited:
I've been driving AT for few years. Here's my view...

Automatic Transmission are tension free and really fun to drive in today's city traffic.
But great things comes with great sacrifice. Yes, generally automatics have the poor fuel efficiency because the engine automatically switches the gear depending on your speed/driving behavior.

Here is a few tips from me...

1. Use Mode: P or N when you've stopped in signal/traffic. This helps you to save some fuel.
2. Don't accelerate quickly from 20kms to 80kms. this drinks lot of fuel. Raise slowly, Specially when you crossing the speed-breakers.
3. It is advisable to drive in Eco mode ( if you have that option ) for slightly better fuel efficiency.

If you want to over-take some cars & buses Use manual mode. Don't try to over-take in ( D ) Drive mode. Manual Mode: The ( - ) Minus shift brings down the gear and ( + ) Plus shift brings up the gear to higher.

If you don't have the Manual Mode. It should be shown as L1 / L2. This is Shift 1 and Shift 2.
L1 and L2 should really help you when you drive on hill side or at parking lots that has under-ground bay.

Important: Don't try to over-take everyone on road, when you drive in lower gear it drinks a hell lot of fuel. Trust me, You can see it live on your fuel gauge lol. People on road will really tempt you to over-take them. But think about the fuel for a second before you over-take them. It's like you pay money for over-taking them.

2 cents from my experience.

All the best! If you have any doubts, Feel free to PM me.

Just a doubt: How to coast in AT when there is no manual option available? I mean, usually to control our speed on an decline, we stick the (manual) car in the same gear we would to climb the incline. How to do so with ATs? These things would shift up as soon as speed permits. N and P is taboo. What to to in that case?

Thanks.

new to auto gear

Hi,
I just bought my Maruti k10 amt. On the third day I have had an accident.
I want to make sure it does not repeat.
My question is " how to get the car moving on a road hump out of a parking lot in a mall"

Background: i am new to auto gear. I was exiting the parking lot (exit is towards my right
At the point of exit there was a huge road hump. The car would not move. It was in D mode. I accelerated to get the wheels moving. The next I know was i crashed into the wall right opposite.the front portion on its left got smashed. Nothing happened to me and my child ,sitting in front beside me. Please give me more knowledge on driving automatic transmission. Driving schools don't. What happened[frustration][confused] to me should not happen to others or repeat with me. My new car is with accident department. Very said:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I infer that when my amt car did not move at the. Hump I shoulv have selected manual 1? Cause when I released the break on D the car rwfu do budge and when I pressed the accelerator it just shot forward and rammed the wall ahead. If I had it on N, the car would not have moved I guess.

Re: new to auto gear

Hi,
I just bought my Maruti k10 amt. On the third day I have had an accident.
I want to make sure it does not repeat.
My question is " how to get the car moving on a road hump out of a parking lot in a mall"

Background: i am new to auto gear. I was exiting the parking lot (exit is towards my right
At the point of exit there was a huge road hump. The car would not move. It was in D mode. I accelerated to get the wheels moving. The next I know was i crashed into the wall right opposite.the front portion on its left got smashed.(
You pressed accelerator too hard I presume. In my manual I would control both clutch and accelerator, and if final thrust on accelerator was higher I would control by clutch and break. Since your car don't have clutch you are supposed control by accelerator and brake.

Top Bottom