OK, Whatever I follow with my car I will tell you, but it is just my practice
I feel 1000km to 3000km can be a run-in period for a petrol car, but for diesel I feel 10000km as run-in period with various factors and also with the 3rd free service finished on my car. So for any car till 3rd service can be treated as run-in period and take due care.
1. Start the car in the morning and keep it idle for 1min to 2 min without any movement. This depends on my mood !!
2. Move gently with 1st gear and don rev, hard. change gears appropriately according to what is specified in the manual or as per rpm.
3. I normally drive between 60 to 80 kmph on a open road and 100 max on highway
4. I never do sudden braking and avoid frequent change of gears. Rather I look on the road for any obstacle like some other vehicle or a speedbreaker or a path hole and reduce the speed by de-accelerating and not with breaks every time.
5. See that you do not put your leg on clutch always and drive, use clutch minimum. Because I have noticed with lot of people if they want to break after 5 to 10 seconds, first they will press clutch on any speed, this is not correct first use the break to reduce the speed or if you have safe distance allow the car to slowdown on its own and use clutch only to change the gear or in bumper to bumper situation whenever it is necessary
6. I always try and use same petrol pump and that to be company maintained one
7. I switch off the car and come out and stand while fuel filling to avoid theft of fuel
8. Use A/C as and when require and switch it of if fresh air is available
9. Strictly maintain the service intervals.
10. I get wheel balance alignment for every 5000km which is apart from service interval.
11. Check the tyre pressure once in 15 days and correct it according to what is given in manual of car and never allow the filling guy to use his own judgement
12. When car is fully loaded, I will not push her harshly, but push little gently which gives her to a space to breath properly.
13. After parking the car back, I leave it idle engine running for a minute or two and switch off.
Last but not least, I will never move my car without wearing seat belts, whatever is the distance may be.
Hope these things will help you to keep your car intact. These are simple things to do and a little determination in the beginning and you will get habituated with them