Originally Posted by jihu123
Have been constantly getting 15-16kmpl in polo 1.2TDI under 85% city driving with 95% of the time with A/C.
Need some tips to squeeze out more if possible. Not because I'm not satisfied but to check what this sweet baby can do.
1. Be extremely gentle with the accelerator pedal. Whenever you press it, imagine that there is an egg placed between the accelerator pedal and the floor of the car and it must not break in any case. Your foot should be 'feather light' on the accelerator pedal. This is the MOST CRUCIAL aspect that affects fuel efficiency.
2. Upshift early at the exact rpm where you know that the engine would neither lug nor over rev. Listen to the engine and the exhaust, they would tell you when to upshift.
3. Never use the accelerator where the clutch is sufficient to move the car ahead. From a standing start, you can easily come upto the third gear without using the accelerator - just release the clutch very gradually and the car would gain enough momentum to move ahead. This doesn't work on a full load but is fine with driver and one passenger unless both are built like Yokozuna.
4. Driving with the windows open increases fuel consumption by 4%. Driving with the AC increases fuel consumption by 10%.
5. Keep the tire pressure 1-2 psi more than what is recommended by the manufacturer.
6. ANTICIPATE traffic, turnings, speed breakers, traffic signals, etc. If you are 400 meters from a red traffic light on a straight road and traveling at 60 kmph, what's the point in accelerating to, say, 80 kmph when you KNOW that you HAVE TO brake after 300 meters? BRAKING and ACCELERATING waste fuel like nothing else. The less you brake and the less you accelerate, the more fuel efficiency you get.
7. Confucious said: "When going downhill, remove foot from accelerator."
8. Best fuel efficiency can be had between 60-80 kmph for a car like the Polo.
9. Using too many electrical accessories wastes fuel. Electrical accessories use battery which in turn is charged by the alternator and the alternator uses power (= fuel) from the engine to do its job. The more you sweat, the more water you want to drink. Simple. Bob Marley drinks diesel. Eric Clapton drinks diesel. Kishore Kumar drinks diesel. Remember this.
Follow these tips and post your next update with a smile