Registration Number Etching on Glass

Have you itched car registration number on glasses

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
@mods: Please move the thread to proper location if required

Now a days RTO recommends that car registration number should be itched on all the glasses (4 windows & 2 wind shields) of the car. This is very useful in case of car theft since changing registration plates takes only couple of minutes while changing all 6 glasses would take couple of hours as sizes varies with each brand and subsequent model.

I got this done from TASS at ~Rs.250/- during first service and also discount coupon was provided by TM

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Registration number itching on glass

Etching the registration number on glass is indeed recommended as a precaution to prevent car theft. But alas, the new generation thieves have also invented new methods to earn quick bucks by stealing expensive parts of the car such as ECU, MP3 etc. rather than taking the car itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4

Actually I don't remember if I paid for it, but definitely there was a coupon provided by TM.

Hmmm this is news for me , none of my cars have their registration numbers on the glass. Yes it can help in controlling theft but only a little!

Can you guys post the image of the same?

Same goes for me, Haven't seen one ever yet. Would be a great idea and I too request someone who has got it done, to post an image of the same.

350Z

Core Team
I’m unable to find a proper image of it but glass etching looks exactly like this. The one in this picture is an example of laser marking on headlamps though.

auto-headlight-engrave.gif

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8
Attached is the snap of etching in red box, you should be able to see 3200 engraved on glass. I would get more clear pictures very soon. Similar kind exists on all the 6 glasses.

Attachments

Indeed it’s a good idea to get your glasses etched with registration number.[thumbsup]
This sort of measure acts as an obstruction to thieves.
And cost is very reasonable.

Etching the registration number on glass is indeed recommended as a precaution to prevent car theft. But alas, the new generation thieves have also invented new methods to earn quick bucks by stealing expensive parts of the car such as ECU, MP3 etc. rather than taking the car itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Moreover, etching car number of glass does not make any sense since the person losing car may not be able to get it tracked down only because of number etching on glass. [frustration]

But yes, vehicle tracking system would definitely add more value and things will be under control till the time thieves understand that an instrument is installed in the car.

It is a great safety feature and I am planning to install one in my car. However, negotiating with companies to give better rate as I am an individual customer and not a fleet owner or taxi service provider.

Thread Starter #11

Agreed it does not help tracking but can definitely get handy in case of suspect car.

Agreed it does not help tracking but can definitely get handy in case of suspect car.
Less than 0.001% chances are there that anybody would stop the car and they have a complaint that the same car is missing. Or until and unless reported by some influential person from our society. Which is again very unlikely that someone would take there car at the first place[;)].

But yes if it is giving you a sense of security. One should always go ahead and do it.

Last edited:
There are high chances that these smart thieves will change their mind while stealing the car with etched number on glasses.
As the first thing they do is change the number plates in few minutes
But for etched glass they will always hesitate to drive in public places with different number on plate which is not matching at etched glass.
Places like toll booth, public parking, gas stations where there are higher chances of getting noticed with different numbers on glass and number plate
Even they have to avoid traffic signals too as there are beggars, cleaners observing your car very keenly.
This obstacle is more enough to rethink them stealing a car with etched number.

If thief is smart enough then you might lose INR 250more to your car cost.

Last edited:
But how visible are these etched numbers? Agree if people notice the etched number it will cause a problem to the thieves but who are noticing those numbers? How many people are aware of such a thing? IMO the numbers etched on the glasses are too small to even get noticed!

350Z

Core Team
But how visible are these etched numbers? Agree if people notice the etched number it will cause a problem to the thieves but who are noticing those numbers? How many people are aware of such a thing? IMO the numbers etched on the glasses are too small to even get noticed!
This trend isn’t uncommon. It’s easy for burglars to replace the registration number plates but not all the windows. It’s a useful tool for cops to figure out a stolen car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom