How To Prevent Car from Catching Fire?

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys one suggestion to all when engine overheats .
Switch off existing electrical load, and also AC mainly.
Then never ever turn off the engine, keep the engine running, pull the car to a safe place.
Roll the windows down, and turn the blower to heat mode and facing towards windshield in full speed.
Keep the engine running, the engine automatically cools down, after few minutes when the temperature reaches normal, one can switch off the engine.
And look for coolant and ask for help from helpline.

Point to be noted: Never turn off engine abruptly.

Re: Pictures of Automobiles Involved in Accidents

The saddest part is that the driver couldn't escape and burnt alive inside the car.
Oh no.

initial investigation suggests that it could not have been caused by a spark in the CNG system of the car.
Now I am concerned , How much CNG is safe ?

mukeshus could you explain why the engine shouldn't be turned off immediately? why should the blower be switched to heat mode and turned towards the windshield ? once my wagon r overheated following one of the coolant hose having burst. i kept on driving and noticed the rising temperature gauge after a few kms. i stopped the vehicle opened the bonnet and then after a few minutes opened the radiator cap. after the engine temperature came down poured water obtained from a house nearby and cooled the engine.i did all this after calling my friend who happens to be a authorised maruti service centre manager.

Thread Starter #5

mukeshus could you explain why the engine shouldn't be turned off immediately? why should the blower be switched to heat mode and turned towards the windshield ? once my wagon r overheated following one of the coolant hose having burst. i kept on driving and noticed the rising temperature gauge after a few kms. i stopped the vehicle opened the bonnet and then after a few minutes opened the radiator cap. after the engine temperature came down poured water obtained from a house nearby and cooled the engine.i did all this after calling my friend who happens to be a authorised maruti service centre manager.
The way your car's heater works is by tapping into the car's cooling system,which takes heat from the engine coolant and uses it to warm up air, which then gets blown into the cabin.

The coolant then flows back to the radiator and loses even more heat.
Then it is pumped back through the engine and picks up heat, which intern goes back to the radiator, where some of the heat is radiated awayand continues until it picks up more heat.

This was the tip i had read in my Scorpio's manual.

Last edited:
Great thread.This will be of great use.
The idea of using the heater is great.And I think,you have done a serious research on this.

Cheers

mukeshus do new generation cars overheat with the cooling system intact and functioning normaly ? in case where the the car overheated as in my case with the coolant gone the best thing i feel should be to switch off the engine and let the engine cool by itself.

Thread Starter #9
mukeshus do new generation cars overheat with the cooling system intact and functioning normaly ? in case where the the car overheated as in my case with the coolant gone the best thing i feel should be to switch off the engine and let the engine cool by itself.
No switching off the engine may damage the piston's inside.

AC is also a major load on engine which makes more fuel to burn inside the engine and inturn heat more than usual.

Yes in modern engines due to failure of 2 or more critical sensors engine overheat may occur.
In such case car will be in limp mode.

And engine may overheat due to wrong signal to the ECU.

No switching off the engine may damage the piston's inside.

AC is also a major load on engine which makes more fuel to burn inside the engine and inturn heat more than usual.

Yes in modern engines due to failure of 2 or more critical sensors engine overheat may occur.
In such case car will be in limp mode.

mukeshus, I object the point here! when there is no coolant in the cooling system and Fan stops working one should switch off the engine. Moving the vehicle to the roadside and keeping it stationery without switching off engine will again result in overheating the engine as there is no Air Flow.
in the case of wrong signal to ECU the indication will show as engine overheated but actually engine will not overheat.

Thread Starter #12
mukeshus, I object the point here! when there is no coolant in the cooling system and Fan stops working one should switch off the engine. Moving the vehicle to the roadside and keeping it stationery without switching off engine will again result in overheating the engine as there is no Air Flow.
in the case of wrong signal to ECU the indication will show as engine overheated but actually engine will not overheat.
But in that case a loose fan belt and thermostat is the culprit.

You got it right the engine can be turned off if the fan is not working around the engine.

And about the piston's i talked about, one should idle the engine for a half a minute atleast and not put more load on battery while turning on the heater.

Oh no.

Now I am concerned , How much CNG is safe ?
[frustration] petrol is main problem which cause fire not CNG . To cause CNG to burn they required high temp. more then petrol . I saw myself CNG cylinder started leaking in auto everyone ran away from it and auto was parked near shop which was using flame to cut metal and in all time CNG never caught fire

Horrific Incident

As an owner of Maruti Alto, what is disturbing me a lot is the fact that when this man died such a horrific death in his Alto where he was burnt alive, then what’s the guarantee that I am safe? I have lost my faith totally in Maruti. Have a look at this and please tell me a reason to still buy this car. Delhi: Man burnt alive after car catches fire

Top Bottom