Precautions To Be Taken Before Long Drive?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I have to go to Mettur for a day [ tommorow / 14/Aug/2011 ]. I have to leave early morning by 4.30am. and return on same day. Am planing to go in my maruti 800. Myself, my friend and his family will be travelling.

I just came to know and am in office. I will be reaching home by 7pm. I do not have much time for check up in mechanic shop

Can some one tell me what kind of precautions i have to take before travel

Sethu

Re: Precautions to be taken before a long drive

Well i hope your car is mechanically in perfect condition condition to travel the distance without any hiccups. Just check under the bonnet whether all the fluids are upto the desired levels( engine oil , coolant , windshield washer etc). Check the air pressure in all the tyres(spare tyre too) before you begin the journey.

Drive safe , buckle up , have a happy and safe journey!

1.Note some phone numbers of local service centres and mechanics in case of a breakdown.
2.Clean the windshield in and out using soft lintfree cloth or dampened newspaper .
3. Take a pillow or neck-rest if available it helps fellow travellers in long journey.
4.A water bottle, 2 litre or more in boot will be good idea.
5.If you are music listener dont forget good audio CD's or MP3 cd and mobile phone chargers.
happy journey!!!

Thread Starter #4

Well i hope your car is mechanically in perfect condition condition to travel the distance without any hiccups.
Yes It is.

Just check under the bonnet whether all the fluids are upto the desired levels( engine oil , coolant , windshield washer etc).
Coolant is 3/4 portion in the can. Windshield Washer is almost full. Filled it on 3-4 days back only.e

Check the air pressure in all the tyres(spare tyre too) before you begin the journey.
Need to check. I have filled Nitrogen Air. There is no petrol bunk has this facility in and around vadapalani/saligrmam. Have to go to any one of the tyre shops which is near by [ One in arunachalam road. another in arcot road ]

Drive safe , buckle up , have a happy and safe journey!
Thanks.

1.Note some phone numbers of local service centres and mechanics in case of a breakdown.
do not have such list. Its really useful tip.

2.Clean the windshield in and out using soft lintfree cloth or dampened newspaper .
sorry do not know what is lintfree cloth

3. Take a pillow or neck-rest if available it helps fellow travellers in long journey.
Already I have one.

4.A water bottle, 2 litre or more in boot will be good idea.
I have a 5 ltr can.

5.If you are music listener dont forget good audio CD's or MP3 cd and mobile phone chargers.
Am ready with a Pendrive with full of MGR songs and Ilayaraja songs..

Thanks.

Apart from that, I would like to know some thing like 12 point check ups or something.. will any of the maruti service center will be kept open in vadapani area till 7 types. so that i can go and check somehting.

If any one suggest about that it would be very nice.

When was the last service done?If the service is due and you have no time then get a small tuning done by any mechanic.

I frequently go for 1000-1100 kms long drives alone in the car and here is my checklist before the drives:
1):Service requirement.
2):Get the tyre pressure checked thoroughly and take care that your spare tyre is in an okay condition.
3):Brake fluid and engine oil levels.
4):Most importantly,check the most ignored liquid,THE COOLANT.
5):If you find even a small problem with car like jerks etc,then get them checked before moving.
6):Weather of the place where I am going.
7):Have enough food and drinking water with me in case I am trapped in a jam.
8):Phone must have enough balance if its a prepaid and must be fully charged.
9):Have a list of the local service centers available at the place you are going.Also its better if you have a friend/relative at the place.

Last and most important:IF YOU HAVE TO GO LONG,THEN NEVER OVERSPEED,BUT TRY TO BE CONSTANT.This gives good FE,keeps you relaxed and is safe too..

NOW BUCKLE UP AND GO ON..HAVE A HAPPY JOURNEY.

The list that was provided till now will see through your journey safe.
One most important thing was left out - call me moron. Be ready to pay heavily for the toll booths enroute (Should be 4-5 tolls).

Was late in seeing this thread. Can you let me know what is the route that you have taken?

Happy journey!!!

Thread Starter #8
Guys Time for another long drive Chennai to Madurai.

Saturday, 29th December 2012
  • Starting from Chennai around 5 am - 6 am
  • Around 450 KMs.
  • Planning to reach Madurai for Lunch around 12 pm to 1 pm.
  • Approximately 7 hours in 90 KMPH to 100 KMPH
  • Planning for a meet with my college friends [room mates] after 22 years on Saturday evening

Sunday, 30th December 2012
  • Will be going for some function at Azhagar Koil on Sunday morning
  • Continuation of same function at Madurai Meenakshi amman koil.
  • Lunch
  • Evening go around city and show my family the places where i lived, studied [Being Madurai is my home town and never had time to roam around freely after marriage] and meet some old friends

Monday, 31st December 2012
  • Visit my uncle's place around 6 am to 7am
  • Start from Madurai around 7 am after break fast
  • Around 450 KMs.
  • Planning to reach Chennai for Lunch around 1 pm to 2 pm.
  • Approximately 7 hours in 90 KMPH to 100 KMPH speed

Precautions taken till now.
  • My sparky was completed her 10000 KM Service [Even though the oda shows 8000 only] in October.
  • Filled nitregen in all four tyres except spare [need to remove parcel trey and wheel to fill air in spare wheel]
  • Tank full of petrol
  • vacuumed the interiors.

Steps will be taken tomorrow
  • Take to ASS for some base check [21 point/12 point check up whatever] [Would like to know what all will be checked in this case]
  • Fill Nitrogen in spare wheel
  • Complete body wash by evening
  • Fill 25 LTRS of LPG
  • Buy some Snacks and Fruits
  • Buy some first aid items and some basic tablets.

Planning to carry with me
  • Break fast for Saturday morning [Chappathi with Tommotto Thokku]
  • 5 Ltrs of Waters
  • 2 or 3 water bottles
  • Torch light [already it is available]
  • Carrying First AID Kit provided by Chevy [ Need to check the available things inside ]
  • Carrying Spare Head lights provided by chevy
  • Make sure copies of RC book, Insurance and Driving licence are available
  • Already have ASS [Chennai] phone number along with the phone no of the person who handles my car
  • A pillow, mostly they dont sleep since I have LCD screen, they like to watch movies.
  • USB full of new songs
  • CD full of Ilayaraja songs and MGR Songs [Love them a lot]
  • Some Snacks and Fruits

Problems Faced during my last long drive up to Ratnagiri from chennai [125 KMs ]
  • Being it was in the evening I had foggy problems in windshield
  • Tried various settings was not able to come out.
  • Some of our friends suggested some ideas and even-though I tried those earlier there were no use.
  • I really don't know how to come out of that.
  • Luckily this time my entire driving is going to be in day time except for few hours of early morning driving

Friends, anything to add?

Last edited:
Sethu !!

Hmm finally you are ready for a big trip to home town, good

1. Since you are the only one to drive and car is a petrol & lpg and lighter one you may feel bit tired driving all the way for 450km. so take good amount of break in between
Most important is see you that you have proper sleep on the previous night, if not after driving for a hour or two you feel like sleeping.
2. Eat very less during travel and mostly liquids like juices & tea are good and some light snaks will do and fruits are good. So no heavy oily items. So that chapati should be without oil and some times tomoto thokku will disturb your stomuch since it is breakfast
3. since all your travel in in day time so no worry to take so many precautions like in the night drive. see that some body keep talking to you when you drive. if all are lost in watching movies you will get sleep and feel bored
4. I do not know the road conditions, but doing 450km in 7 hrs may be hectic for a single driver, so your travel duration times will definitely change expect between 9 to 10hrs negotiating traffic and other things.
5. Try if you can get a water pillow(to place it on driver seat) from any car accessories shop, it is really helpful for such long drives
6. Since your drive is in day time, use good driving goggles which are photo-voltaic will reduce your eye strain.

I wish you a wonderful and safe journey to Madurai and back and I hope it will be like a trail run for you for our next upcoming meet

Thread Starter #10
Sethu !!

Hmm finally you are ready for a big trip to home town, good

1. Since you are the only one to drive and car is a petrol & lpg and lighter one you may feel bit tired driving all the way for 450km. so take good amount of break in between Most important is see you that you have proper sleep on the previous night, if not after driving for a hour or two you feel like sleeping.
  2. Eat very less during travel and mostly liquids like juices & tea are good and some light snaks will do and fruits are good. So no heavy oily items. So that chapati should be without oil and some times tomoto thokku will disturb your stomuch since it is breakfast
  3. since all your travel in in day time so no worry to take so many precautions like in the night drive. see that some body keep talking to you when you drive. if all are lost in watching movies you will get sleep and feel bored
  4. I do not know the road conditions, but doing 450km in 7 hrs may be hectic for a single driver, so your travel duration times will definitely change expect between 9 to 10hrs negotiating traffic and other things.
  5. Try if you can get a water pillow(to place it on driver seat) from any car accessories shop, it is really helpful for such long drives
  6. Since your drive is in day time, use good driving goggles which are photo-voltaic will reduce your eye strain.

I wish you a wonderful and safe journey to Madurai and back and I hope it will be like a trail run for you for our next upcoming meet
Sir Thank you very much for your points.

• I have planned to go to bed early tomorrow night.
  • Generally I will take 5-10 mints break for every 1 hours.
  • Normally Chappathi's will be made with oil, this time I will try without oil [Making chapathiis are my job[;)]]
  • I take light snacks and fruits in travel
  • Day or night driving, my wife generally sits in front and we used to have chat for all the way
  • Only my kidos from back seat enjoys the movie
  • Entire stretch is 4 way road till madurai and it will be fantastic to drive. Last march I have covered 600 KMs in 900 in single sitting with two major breakup for break fast and lunch. So I think I will be able to manage.
  • how water pillow helps sir, pls let me know and do we have seat kind in water pillow?
  • I cant use goggles since already I have specs[:)]

Sethu,

Water pillow is just like a cushion, but filled with water inside.
it is cool so will not allow any sweat and something cool is always good
the water in the pillow gets adjusted to our thighs and supports well

See these pics of water pillow in my car, which is available for Rs.400 to 450/-

Attachments

I usually check the following things when I am planning a long drive
1. Spare Head Light bulbs
2. Torch Light
3. Match Sticks
4. Bedsheet(basically a big fabric)
5. Get the tyre pressure checked and Nitrogen filled

I still am yet to face a situation of changing the tyre all by myself.
Hope I'll never have to :)

A question to the experts. Does the tyre pressure need to be different for high-speeds- and-plain-roads AND low-speeds-and-bumpy-roads? Does it matter?

Sethu, Have a safe trip.

-TDK

I usually check the following things when I am planning a long drive
1. Spare Head Light bulbs
2. Torch Light
3. Match Sticks
4. Bedsheet(basically a big fabric)
5. Get the tyre pressure checked and Nitrogen filled

I still am yet to face a situation of changing the tyre all by myself.
Hope I'll never have to :)

A question to the experts. Does the tyre pressure need to be different for high-speeds- and-plain-roads AND low-speeds-and-bumpy-roads? Does it matter?

Sethu, Have a safe trip.

-TDK
It is not according to the road conditions, but at times according to the passengers load in the car and some times according to the seasons and weather conditions, but companies always calculate all these things and put their recommendations, hence just follow that

Top Bottom