Condensation Issue in Headlights

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

We took the delivery of our Superb in january. Since day 1 it had these condensation issues. We ignored it at first thinking that it is caused to due to cold weather. Most of the driving was during day time so we kept on ignoring it. It used to show up after some minutes the headlights were turned on and it kept on increasing as long as the headlights were kept on. We were driving late nights few months back, it covered like most of the headlight so we went to the dealership. They kept on making excuses like this is normal, we don't need to turn on headlights for more than an hour straight, no other car has this issue, this will be fixed via setting. They did nothing for months. I knew someone from the management as the dealership harassed us during the sales phase also, he chipped and the headlights were replaced, though I think that they installed it after taking it out from an another car. Anyways the new one's are also showing signs of condensation now

Old headlights

Superb.png

ixffpz.jpg

New one's

30ngqoo.png

2jb5fs2.png

In the new one's due to the lightening the intensity is being demonstrated to a lesser level in the photographs. They are clueless as in what exactly is causing this. What they did was they replaced it from a demo car. One of the dealership's guy spilled the beans about this when I pressed him. I again complained to Skoda, they sent an engineer he examined the car and said that it is normal and that the condensation won't cover it fully, even if it does it will let the light pass through due to the shape of the reflectors.

He had no answers why the other Superb's don't have this issue but he said that he can replicate the issue in like 10 minutes in any other car.

Now out of the replaced headlights one of the headlights was manufactured in 2016 before the mfg date of the car. When I raised this point they said that they have replaced the headlights twice and they won't be doing anything as this is normal. The dealership sucks to the core but even Skoda would do this it was never expected.Check the manual page, it says that any mist formed will go away when the headlights are turned on but in our case it forms after the headlights are turned on and that too in any weather condition

Superb-1.jpg

Headlights after 20-30 minutes drive with headlights at night

Superb-2.jpg

Superb-3.jpg

After about 40-50 minutes drive

Superb-4.jpg

Superb-5.jpg

The Skoda guy said the temperature inside is around 200 degrees and its vacuum so it causes condensation but they had no answer why only our car has this issue. This is very sad and frustrating.

What should I do? Any ideas regarding consumer court?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Condensation generally happen when the headlight housing is broken or seal is not proper allowing the moisture to leak inside.

With regards to the person saying its vacuum I am not sure if that is actually vacuum in the housing.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Condensation generally happen when the headlight housing is broken or seal is not proper allowing the moisture to leak inside.

With regards to the person saying its vacuum I am not sure if that is actually vacuum in the housing.
Thanks for replying. They replaced them twice, though once with demo car's headlights and the other time with very old stock headlights. So, I think it is something else.

Does this occur only during rains or ?
Thanks for replying. Every night and I mean EVERY NIGHT after the headlights are turned on irrespective of the weather.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Just adding a point with Mr.Allhyundaicars

My friend has a WRV , its Parklight has LED , and pretty much it doesn't produce any condensation .

Also we had upgraded LED bulbs in my friend's ecosport , that also doesn't pose any issue .

I doubt quality issue with Headlamp case in case of Superb.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
My previous car Alto K10 has this condensation problem which used to occur even after a water wash. I did replace the OEM bulbs to Phillips extra vision bulbs before taking delivery and I thought the condensation happened because of the removal / refitting of headlights hence I did not complain this to the service centre.

Thread Starter #8
Thank you so much for those links. Well there are some that say that it is normal and have that temperature thing as a reason for it BUT the others either don't have it or face it only during cold/hot weather. Even if I was facing it during change of climate then I would have been okay by it. But I face it every night. Moreover they look so bad :(

Just adding a point with Mr.Allhyundaicars

My friend has a WRV , its Parklight has LED , and pretty much it doesn't produce any condensation .

Also we had upgraded LED bulbs in my friend's ecosport , that also doesn't pose any issue .

I doubt quality issue with Headlamp case in case of Superb.
True sir.

My previous car Alto K10 has this condensation problem which used to occur even after a water wash. I did replace the OEM bulbs to Phillips extra vision bulbs before taking delivery and I thought the condensation happened because of the removal / refitting of headlights hence I did not complain this to the service centre.
Do you face it in every weather condition?

Thread Starter #10
More condensation during rainy season. Also, it used to happen when I wash the car with running water, directly from the pipe.
I am facing in all seasons, every night. The summers here are like 44-50 degrees Celsius but it is still there :(

https://www.carlightblog.com/2014/06/24/fogging-the-ultimate-guide/

Read his point 5, now check the manual photo which I have posted above. It means that the condensation should go away after the headlights are turned on, but in my case it shows up only after they are switched on.

Other Superb owners please comment and do help sir .

@Mr.Akop , Sir , Had you checked with any new Superb?
As from your post they had replaced your headlamp case with another one na, so its not a fresh piece I believe , so am asking on new batch of Superb.

Thread Starter #12
Other Superb owners please comment and do help sir .

@Mr.Akop , Sir , Had you checked with any new Superb?
As from your post they had replaced your headlamp case with another one na, so its not a fresh piece I believe , so am asking on new batch of Superb.
Please tag some Superb owners here.

I checked with a person who got his Superb a month before mine. I do not know owners of the new Superb. The one replaced headlight was manufactured in 2018 and was a sealed pack, the other one is manufactured in 2016. They took my headlights out and replaced with 2016 one's. Heights of cheating

One quick question, the other Superb and VW cars like Audi have the same set of headlights. So, why is this issue happening with only few units?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I don't know about skoda. But does the headlight have dust cover ? If yes remove it in the afternoon after driving the car if possible (engine is hot) all the vapour inside will evaporate and then check at night.

My verna's headlight got water inside while washing and it. Didn't go away for days , removed the dust cover and within 3, hours of driving the water evaporated

Worth a try.

I am facing similar problem in my Zest, fogging inside head lamp when driven at rain with head lamps on, noticed it after2 yrs and it was gradually increasing. changed headlamps twice under warranty, but new ones are fogging from early on.it will go off during day time. don't know what is the problem

Top Bottom