The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Automotive Answers (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-answers/)
-   -   How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car? (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-answers/322-how-prevent-rats-entering-inside-car.html)

sriharsha 28th September 2009 11:45 PM

How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?

guys,
today morning i was surprised to see that the small indicator light on the left fender of my alto was not working while all the other indicators and electrical equipment were working fine. opened the bonnet . to my surprise, there were pieces of wire all around near the battery , coolant tank etc. since i park my car outside, i think rats had entered into the bonnet and had chewed off the wires. and the xerox copy of my insurance paper which i always keep in the glove box, was breathing its last.! the paper was literally shattered to pieces!!! guys pls help me regarding this. today i brought rat kill and have tied it inside the bonnet at 2-3 place and also under the dashboard. but i don't think thats going to work. so any suggestion guys??

raj_5004 29th September 2009 01:01 AM

sadly the only solution is to keep rat poisons.

Renegade 29th September 2009 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 4060)
sadly the only solution is to keep rat poisons.

Avoid eating in the car,tiny chunks of food fall in the car which the rat come looking for.
The bonnet being the only point of access they enter through there.

But how did the rodent go to the glove box??[shock]

Keep tobbaco in the bonnet it keeps the rodents away.(till the smell lasts).

For the next service ask the service engineer to get your petrol tank down and cover the fuel pipe with grease.
A rat bit of my cars fuel line and as soon as i started the car petrol started to flow over the petrol tank.
Cost of changing the fuel line was 1450 bucks + towing the car to the service center 900 rs.
Its not only my car that was affected,my friends A-Star in the adjecent building was also affected.But the puncture in the fuel line was not as big as mine hence his driver drove it to the service center

napster 29th September 2009 02:24 AM

rat kill is what we can use

sriharsha 29th September 2009 06:06 PM

i tried rat kill. but no use. that stupid rat keeps eating wires. today my rear speaker wires were chewed. that thing enters the cabin form the ac vents i think. and keeping tobacco is a bad idea i think...
i am thinking of tying a cat to my car[lol]

ilango[speed thirst] 29th September 2009 06:21 PM

Rats do enter. but how inside the cabin?

Tobacco leaf is the best way to keep them away.
In mine it used to come inside the bonnet alone . I did keep a rat poison near the tire and next day i found it inside the bonnet.

Rat poison works in such a way that after eating the poison it searches for water , if found it will be alive.

Do they bite the fuel lines too? I have not experienced that.

Try these ,
i did in my previous estilo .

Tying tobacco leaf inside the bonnet where ever possible.
spay some chilly powder near the tires and bumpers esp in front.
Also keep some red chillies tied inside the bonnet.

Check your ac system , esp the blower system.

I do regularly start at 10.20pm and keep in idle till 10.30pm. And when i don't take the car out , the idling will be another 10 min extra.
Rats don't come for the engine heat.

sriharsha 30th September 2009 10:17 PM

so people telling tobacco.. ok . let me try it once. and ilango, what is that chilli powder business? will the mice feel the hot chilly powder in its mouth or something?
but tobacco smells bad i think. i dont want cigar smell in my cars cabin when i keep the windows open!!

karthik.a 30th September 2009 10:28 PM

Rat poison is a good thing to do and one more thing i heard about but iam not sure about it pouring ammonia keeps animals away due to the smell.

Karthik.

Renegade 30th September 2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karthik.a (Post 4277)
Rat poison is a good thing to do and one more thing i heard about but iam not sure about it pouring ammonia keeps animals away due to the smell.

Karthik.

It'll keep the mechanic away as well.[lol!]
Man is a social animal afterall[lol]

Ammonia smells just like urine(You have a cheaper alternative,if you know what i mean [evil]).
So when you open your car windows you'll feel like you are outside a public toilet.

Tobacco smell is not noticeable in the cabin.

vroom 30th September 2009 11:19 PM

Nuts!! This is crazy. How about rat traps in the cabin? I have heard my friends using it to good results.

Cheers,
Vroom

Renegade 30th September 2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroom (Post 4284)
Nuts!! This is crazy. How about rat traps in the cabin? I have heard my friends using it to good results.

Cheers,
Vroom

AFAIK
Rat traps are big and can't be used in cars dude.

Best option is to use tobacco leaves
and avoid eating in the car.

vroom 1st October 2009 12:47 AM

Nope man.. this is definite news cause my friends have used it here in Mumbai. Can find out the efficacy of this process if required.

Cheers,
Vroom

vickyirs 1st October 2009 08:50 AM

Mix the rat kill poison with some food and keep it only under the car.

350Z 1st October 2009 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The attack of rats has become quite a common issue now. Please make sure to park the car in a clean location and keep it uncovered for some time. You can also try out other suggestions which are posted above or simply use the rat poison / trap. Please try to get rid of it as soon as possible because it could end up as a serious problem later. But on a lighter note: Gift those rats a new car. :biggrin:

Attachment 31369

Drive Safe,
350Z

Arun 1st October 2009 05:49 PM

Tobacco leaves don't smell that much. You have change them every 20 days or so.
@350Z The problem won't be solved even if he covers the car considering the rats get into the engine bay from beneath or sit on the axle atleast that is what used to happen in my Omni!

Steal a toy car from a kid and keep it your engine bay.[lol!]

350Z 1st October 2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arun (Post 4346)
@350Z The problem won't be solved even if he covers the car considering the rats get into the engine bay from beneath or sit on the axle atleast that is what used to happen in my Omni!

I didn’t mean that they climb up through cover. I said it because if he keeps the car covered, it’ll become a more hidden place for them to enjoy inside. And that’s what they want.

Drive Safe,
350Z

sriharsha 1st October 2009 07:34 PM

i have already tried:
1. rat poison
2. trap
3. tight body cover
4. removed the cover 3 days back

need to try:
1. tobacco leaves

will never try ammonia or the other thing that renegade told[lol]
and i do not party in my car. so no business of having food, drinks etc. in the car.

@350Z
buddy, i park my car outside my home, besides the road. that place is not very clean though. unwanted plants and grass keep growing. somebody told me to keep camphor. but i think the engines heat is enough to ignite it.

ilango[speed thirst] 1st October 2009 11:30 PM

Though you cover the car , the under body is free and its the way for the rats.

Tobacco doesnt give you cigar smell inside the cabin .

I mean tobacco leaf.

Spraying chilly powder near tires and below the engine area keeps rats away, it burns there body.

Try some in your hand if you have doubt [lol]

It helped in my estilo. It was a brand new parked inside the home. Rat menace was more.

Now the marina is bigger and not possible to park inside home. Its in road itself the whole day. Now rats don't enter this car often. Only when its parked for 5 days without opening it comes inside. That too only left side . chews nothing ! but put its waste in mat. All indigo and indica have a hole near the dash end which connects outside body, bend hard to find them . But its very small .

As i regularly use my car there is nil rat problem though its parked outside.

My area is developing and is somewhat famous for snakes . So rats must be eaten by them .
Ha Ha Ha

alok_student2000 15th July 2011 12:32 AM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?

@ Ilingo: Snakes can also enter your car from the same places as those of rats.Imagine one day u will be driving ur car in the morning n suddenly u find a snake lying n your rare carpets. A rat can damage a part of your car but a snake will target you[evil].

jalex 15th July 2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alok_student2000 (Post 87120)
@ Ilingo: Snakes can also enter your car from the same places as those of rats.Imagine one day u will be driving ur car in the morning n suddenly u find a snake lying n your rare carpets. A rat can damage a part of your car but a snake will target you[evil].

That is highly unlikely. Snakes dont like hot places or places that are not cool enough, They are cold blooded. They also dont target you as such but only act out in defence when you enter their personal space by accident or ignorance.

gears1313 15th July 2011 01:32 AM

Guyz I still didnt understood how rats enter inside the cabin??[confused]

jalex 15th July 2011 02:21 AM

Some ideas to keep them away: How to Get Rid of Rats in Cars | eHow.com

dodge_v1per 15th July 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gears1313 (Post 87130)
Guyz I still didnt understood how rats enter inside the cabin??[confused]

dude more than inside they can enter in engine and chew all wires which can set you back by lots of $$$$!!

gears1313 15th July 2011 04:30 PM

I know buddy. They chew our foglamp wires, and the headlight adjustment switch wire.
But the point is how do they enter the cabin?

SOOZ_PUNTO 17th February 2012 03:42 PM

Guys,

Today my car washer person informed me that last night there was sound coming from my bonnet. I checked immediately for RATs and guess what, the rat was still in bonnet. I started my engine and then only it left the car. I checked the car bonnet and drove a small distance too. Everything seems fine, but taking the car to Service center for a check up.
I have gone through the article, where to get the Tobacco leaves???

Umang 17th February 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOOZ_PUNTO (Post 136467)
Guys,

Today my car washer person informed me that last night there was sound coming from my bonnet. I checked immediately for RATs and guess what, the rat was still in bonnet. I started my engine and then only it left the car. I checked the car bonnet and drove a small distance too. Everything seems fine, but taking the car to Service center for a check up.
I have gone through the article, where to get the Tobacco leaves???

buddy maybe you can get it from any pan corner shop!

SOOZ_PUNTO 20th February 2012 04:04 PM

I am lucky that nothing has happed to the CAR [:)]

RAT has tried to cut one IRON part in bonnet, as the ASS guy showed me the marks.
But nothing harm done !!

mohan.shocks 20th February 2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOOZ_PUNTO (Post 137118)
I am lucky that nothing has happed to the CAR [:)]

RAT has tried to cut one IRON part in bonnet, as the ASS guy showed me the marks.
But nothing harm done !!

You are lucky enough ,the rat cut some iron part in bonnet.
Try tobacco leaf, place it inside the bonnet particularly near the wiring bunches. Change the tobacco leaf periodically say 2 weeks duration.

hamster 21st February 2012 05:40 PM

I have heard from one of the SA that if you switch on the "fresh air" mode in A/C it opens up a vent for air, through which rats can easily enter. Always make sure that the "Fresh Air" mode is turned off when you park the car.

sai_crdi 21st February 2012 08:23 PM

I have faced this problem more often. Rats enter my engine bay and so far chewed the air filter twice. I have the habbit of periodically cleaning the filter and found the air filter bay filled with rat ****. Then noticed the air filter paper was bitten at many places. Had to change it in the first instance and the current filter is sealed with the help of cello tape since the bite marks are at only one segment. I put rat poison inside the bonnet and sprayed the underbody with old engine oil. I dont face the rat problem for quite a while. Not sure this is a permanent fix. You can give it a try

speed1 21st February 2012 10:02 PM

I too faced this problem, just gooogled and started using tobacco leaves no issues thereafter. I replace them twice a month. Also the most important is to keep the cabin clean and remove all the eatables (Popcorns, Peanuts, Chips etc....)inside the cabin.

rohan 6th August 2012 06:10 AM

Rats in my car !!

Hi everyone , i own a 5 year old Swift Vdi and a Hyundai verna fluidic Crdi from february this year and until now had no issues at all . It all began when the monsoons started !
First target was my Swift . Starting from small issues like eating the pipe of windshield washer and damaging Ac mechanism to some serious damage like dinning on some wire which caused the power steering to stop working .

If this was not all those little rat buggers are now attacking my new verna ! [frustration] .
First the windshield washer stopped working and now yesterday they digested the vehicles diesel pipe causing fuel to leak diesel all over the place when the key is on ! And the worst thing is this is not covered under warranty !

Whatever i do to confuse those rats like parking in different locations or directions in our building hasnt worked . I tried storing naphthalene balls , rat poison etc to no result . Now the only option left is to put a cat in the engine bay .
On saturday i had to travel to my office in the local crowded bus since both the cars were broken down by these pests , Please help !

Varun560061 6th August 2012 07:06 AM

Re: Rats in my car !!

Try spraying diesel around the engine bay.. also on the pipes.

This helped me out to get rid of these rats. You have to spray the diesel every alternate day so that it would not dry up.

AppU 6th August 2012 09:25 AM

Use Tobacco leafs on the the engine bay as well as under body.
I think it will work.

dharmesh 6th August 2012 09:34 AM

Simple solution is to get the RAT repelant installed under your car bonnet. I got RAT menace resolved in same way. Ask MASS they must be having it or local mechanic will also do I think so. I got it done from TASS>

drsathya 17th August 2012 11:45 AM

Hi Guys, fixing ultrasonic repeller to the bonnet area will help to keep the rats away.

Gurrala74 11th September 2012 05:07 PM

what is this ultrasonic repeller ??

chayan 11th September 2012 05:19 PM

I also had Rat problems and have used lots of naphthalene in the engine bay and cabin. Seems to work as there has not been any further incidents in the last 2 years or so.

In the engine bay, you will find a natural depression on the battery stand. Put the naphthalene balls in there. However since the engine bay gets quite hot, you have to refill this every 2-3 weeks.

Gurrala74 11th September 2012 06:10 PM

@chayan

Is that safe to use naphthalene balls in such heated area ?? do you use naphthalene balls or something else and where you place them

chayan 11th September 2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurrala74 (Post 203621)
@chayan

Is that safe to use naphthalene balls in such heated area ?? do you use naphthalene balls or something else and where you place them

Simple plain white naphthalene balls (here in Kolkata I try to get those manufactured by Bengal chemicals as there are fake ones available that do not evaporate but form crystalline deposits).

Earlier I used to put them in a plastic bag and make some small holes in the bag and tie it to the battery clamp (the strip the lies on top of the battery and holds it in place). However now I have discovered a cavity between the battery and the plate on which it rests. I can easily push the balls into this cavity and there it stays even with on road vibrations and jerking.

Given there is high heat under the bonnet, I think this particular area is not exposed to the extremes, but sufficient enough for the balls to evaporate and give out the scent (which hopefully keeps the rats away).

I don't think there is any reason for alarm as the balls easily last 3-4 weeks and hence I conclude they are not that readily inflammable. Also have not found any adverse effects.

However I would advise people use their better judgement and not to hold me responsible if anything really goes wrong.