The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Automotive Answers (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-answers/)
-   -   How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car? (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-answers/322-how-prevent-rats-entering-inside-car.html)

uddhav17 4th February 2016 09:22 AM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ps17 (Post 483643)
Hey how shall I tie tobacco in my car?
Volkswagen polo? ?
Tieying in paper or cloth
Both would catch fire if the car is on,

What shall be done
M using tobacco packets not leaves

I have been using the plastic filters that are used for water taps. These filters come with east to tie knots and allow the tobacco smell do its job pretty well.

Attachment 192583

Suryaputhra 5th February 2016 05:56 PM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
This is my style of preventing rats in my car
source link
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ip-review.html

-suryaputhra

Lameassonwheels 5th February 2016 09:32 PM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
Have anyone tried the ultrasonic rodent repellant in the parking area?. I have used ultrasonic repellents meant for industrial purpose on few projects and they were supposedly effective (those were a bit costly as they had CE certification, warranty etc). I found this product in Amazon at 750 Rs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suryaputhra (Post 486383)
This is my style of preventing rats in my car
source link http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...ip-review.html

Chilli powder won't come inside the cabin when you turn off the recirculation of AC?. Also the chilli powder may spill on the floor in the parking area. This may harm kids playing there and pets. Isn't it better to use products like Mortien rat kill than dealing with these 'desi' hacks?.

OT: You can provide a direct link to a particular post in a thread by right clicking on the post no (Eg:#152) on the top right corner of a post and copying the link url.

uddhav17 7th February 2016 08:11 PM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
While watching Discovery this weekend came across some info about a parasite called Toxoplasma. This parasite lives its whole life inside cats. But if it ever entered a rat, the parasite apparently removes the fear of cats just to make sure it can enter a cat again as it can't live outside cat [clap]
Hopefully some R&D will be done and our rat problem will be solved.

Source
Quote:

Mice infected with toxoplasmosis lose their instinctive fear for the smell of cats — and the parasite's effects may be permanent.

swift&furious 8th February 2016 09:51 AM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
I have been annoyed with the rats coming into the engine bay and going out, was really worried and have done all possible thing to stop it from coming, finally found a solution

A little bit of background :

I had a swift LDI which i had been using for almost 4.8 years before i sold it some month back to get a new Swift VDI(ABS) again and all these 4.8 years i never had a problem with rats, but the new swift was some kind of rat magnet (the engine bay area) and wanted to get rid off it all cost

The problem is once a rat comes into the engine bay and leaves out its waste and urine it draws other rats or the same rat to visit again and this was the reason that rats kept on visiting

I tried Tobacco, Rat catcher, Rat repellent spray from amazon, Vinegar spray and all possible solution others told but the problem was not solved

SOLUTION : Finally i found a solution i went to a setvice centre cleanded the engine bay area with water sprayed and then with diesel to wade off the rat waste smell

Then later as recommend by a shop owner bought a Rat poison paste from him and how it works is quite simple

Cut a tomato into 2 keep one under the trye for the first day the rat would most probably visit to have it and the very next day keep and half of a tomato with the paste put on it the rat would more definitely try to eat it following the first day and would die by running out of your area to some open space

After spending almost nearly 2000 rupees on engine bay cleaning, tobacco and rat repellent spray this final solution worked out with just 20 rupees and a single tomato

Nowadays i keep this tomato once in 3 days to make sure there is not rats anywhere near my compound or car, hope this helps

Suryaputhra 16th February 2016 07:37 PM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lameassonwheels (Post 486425)
Have anyone tried the ultrasonic rodent repellant in the parking area?. I have used ultrasonic repellents meant for industrial purpose on few projects and they were supposedly effective (those were a bit costly as they had CE certification, warranty etc). I found this product in Amazon at 750 Rs.

Chilli powder won't come inside the cabin when you turn off the recirculation of AC?. Also the chilli powder may spill on the floor in the parking area. This may harm kids playing there and pets. Isn't it better to use products like Mortien rat kill than dealing with these 'desi' hacks?.

OT: You can provide a direct link to a particular post in a thread by right clicking on the post no (Eg:#152) on the top right corner of a post and copying the link url.

That's my option after trying all the methods. I never use outside air. In my parking place no kids and no pets[clap]. Thanks for giving idea to link only specific post.

-suryaputhra

BoltFromTheBlue 29th February 2016 07:42 AM

Protecting your loved car from Rodents
 
Hi all,

My car's LH fog lamp was not working when i got my car from other owner. I thought the fog lamp bulb would have been gone and needs a replacement. But, Y'day I took my car to VW service center and to my astonishment the service engineer there pointed out and showed me that it was a rat bite which split the electrical wires of the LH fog lamp into two. I was so sad that this process of rat biting started on this car as well. I suffered this for last 7 years on my ex-Indica.

I usually park my car in a closed apartment basement where incidents like this will rarely happen. But all my past incidents happened only when i left my car outside on the roads for atleast 24 hours without driving it.

I think this is a very usual and repeated behaviour for the owners to have a rat bite atleast sometime in thier period of car ownership. I found here and didn't find any guide thread which guides me to avoid these rodents from chewing away my car's valuables. Hence wanted to start a thread, which will work as guide to all car owners facing this type of issues and also to safeguard before happening one. We all know that electricals play a major role in the car's functionality and those electricals are pretty expesive parts as they are the central nervous system for our loved cars.

Hence, folks please post your past experiences of these rodent troubles and how you avoided or solved them.

As a start i would suggest the idea which my service agent at VW suggested me to all here:
Purchase dried tobacco leaves from any place,
pack them into small bags (preferabbly cotton socks),
pack them into 2, 3 or 4 small bags and knot them at the opening,
tie them all around your engine bay compartment especially where there are huge bundles of electrical wires passing.

Not sure, how the science behind this technique will avoid the rodents. But this will prevent them from biting the electricals.
Hope this helps others.

TSIVipul 29th February 2016 07:57 AM

Re: Protecting your loved car from Rodents
 
Get in touch with IR, he recently killed a rat who chewed the wires of his XUV. :stupid:

swift&furious 29th February 2016 09:04 AM

Re: Protecting your loved car from Rodents
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltFromTheBlue (Post 489784)
Hi all,

My car's LH fog lamp was not working when i got my car from other owner. I thought the fog lamp bulb would have been gone and needs a replacement. But, Y'day I took my car to VW service center and to my astonishment the service engineer there pointed out and showed me that it was a rat bite which split the electrical wires of the LH fog lamp into two. I was so sad that this process of rat biting started on this car as well. I suffered this for last 7 years on my ex-Indica.

I usually park my car in a closed apartment basement where incidents like this will rarely happen. But all my past incidents happened only when i left my car outside on the roads for atleast 24 hours without driving it.

I think this is a very usual and repeated behaviour for the owners to have a rat bite atleast sometime in thier period of car ownership. I found here and didn't find any guide thread which guides me to avoid these rodents from chewing away my car's valuables. Hence wanted to start a thread, which will work as guide to all car owners facing this type of issues and also to safeguard before happening one. We all know that electricals play a major role in the car's functionality and those electricals are pretty expesive parts as they are the central nervous system for our loved cars.

Hence, folks please post your past experiences of these rodent troubles and how you avoided or solved them.

As a start i would suggest the idea which my service agent at VW suggested me to all here:
Purchase dried tobacco leaves from any place,
pack them into small bags (preferabbly cotton socks),
pack them into 2, 3 or 4 small bags and knot them at the opening,
tie them all around your engine bay compartment especially where there are huge bundles of electrical wires passing.

Not sure, how the science behind this technique will avoid the rodents. But this will prevent them from biting the electricals.
Hope this helps others.

I had already given a reply on a thread earlier on this [roll]

I had same issues but now its gone for good, i would tell you to try this keep a half of a tomato below your car engine for a day next day keep another half tomato with this Ratol paste applied on it (make sure you don't have your pets anywhere near this paste applied tomato)

The rat problems would be gone forever, i tried this and its has worked out every time[:)]

ice_wise 29th February 2016 10:21 AM

Re: Protecting your loved car from Rodents
 
A thread exists on the same topic.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...nside-car.html

BoltFromTheBlue 29th February 2016 10:37 AM

Re: Protecting your loved car from Rodents
 
Yep, everywhere they are suggesting this tobacco leaf therapy.

Did anybody try out this spray? Is this not harmful, for the equipment of the car inside bonnet?
Will this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD_1HCA6ssU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJFrtxEj6nM

@Mods: please merge this thread with
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...nside-car.html

shreyank 9th September 2016 08:14 PM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
I have been a victim of rat damage a couple of times as my cars are usually parked in our basement and our building is next to a storm water drain. Its a nightmare whenever these rats eatup wires, plastic parts esp. air filter box, battery head etc. I have tried out different tricks to protect the cars and based on all that we have used so far, sprays seem to be an effective solution over ultrasonic or jugaadu solutions like tobacco /napthalene mentioned in above strings. Based on my research on products available in market , what is understood is that rats are allergic to few odors & tastes. I bought a rat repellent spray on flipkart (I dont believe in advertising for brands in forum and you can do your research on various brands to use whatever might fit your bill)... Its very strong in odor and gives unbearable bitter taste when used (no offence to the manufacturer since I didnt use the mask & glove they supplied along with the spray). Nevertheless , for all that ive gone through, the product worked. No sign of rat's in my car since a month now.....

baker 12th September 2016 11:36 AM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
Guys urgent help: suspecting rats inside my car [new baleno], I had noticed small pieces of sponges near front passenger seat , intialy thought of my kid have done it, then while cleaning my car today I had seen similar small pieces inside glove box and little rat droppings as well.
How on earth rats can get inside..?
Now what is the best way to prevent it...

soap 12th September 2016 01:43 PM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
Rats inside the car is a first for me. I waiting for others to chip in on their advice

Renhard 18th October 2016 05:09 AM

Re: How To Prevent Rats Entering Inside Car?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sriharsha (Post 4054)
guys,
today morning i was surprised to see that the small indicator light on the left fender of my alto was not working while all the other indicators and electrical equipment were working fine. opened the bonnet . to my surprise, there were pieces of wire all around near the battery , coolant tank etc. since i park my car outside, i think rats had entered into the bonnet and had chewed off the wires. and the xerox copy of my insurance paper which i always keep in the glove box, was breathing its last.! the paper was literally shattered to pieces!!! guys pls help me regarding this. today i brought rat kill and have tied it inside the bonnet at 2-3 place and also under the dashboard. but i don't think thats going to work. so any suggestion guys??

I have never been in such a situation of having rats in my vehicle, but the solution I would say is to not eat in the car. Try your best. Then clean the car and put rat poison at the locations that you thing the rats may enter through.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.