Spoilers – What Value Do They Add?

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys,

I was wondering whether spoilers are required in FWD cars.

The main motto behind spoilers is to increase the rear downforce for better traction, and thus reduced slip angles. So, it will work on RWDs, right?

In FWDs, the slip angles at front are greater than slip angles at rear. So, I guess, spoilers are not needed.

Offcourse, they increase the asthetic value.

AMG

Suspended
Re: Spoilers

^
apart from aesthetic value, they add no purpose whatsoever in the cars you and me own.

+1 to AMG. Spoilers on the cars we drive and own are of only aesthetic value!

BTW i think a City doesn need a spoiler! It looks good without a spoiler IMO!

I agree. I too looked at a spoiler for my Vento and I was shocked to check the Vento Spoiler provided by Volkswagen. It was very light weight and will hardly add any further value. The least they could have done is at least fix a light in the middle of the spoiler so it would serve as a brake light at night. But, alas, nothing of that sort.

Re: Spoilers – What value do they add?

Hello guys,

The main motto behind spoilers is to increase the rear downforce for better traction, and thus reduced slip angles. So, it will work on RWDs, right?

In FWDs, the slip angles at front are greater than slip angles at rear. So, I guess, spoilers are not needed.

It really doesn't matter if the car is FWD or RWD. Its dynamics will still be same aerodynamically. The Problem lies with the air flowing thru the underbody and lifting the rear end up at high speeds. And exactly that is where the spolier comes in. The Erstwhile Audi TT, had this problem in huge amounts. The rear was always ready to step out and at high speeds, Even a small nudge on the steering would send u spinning and u will be facing the direction u came from if u are lucky. God knows what would happen if u are unlucky!!
And it was a FWD.!!

Yep as said they add down force,
no matter rwd or fwd.
In a rwd u feel to get more grip as more traction thing.

But for speed of 100 hope the effect is spoiler is kinda less.

And regarding the vento , light weight or heavy weight , its gonna do the same duty and light weight are better as they dont increase the car weight overall.

light weight are abs make and heavy weight are fibre glass make.

the underbody air force are hmmm reduced by adding skirts . you can find a skirt like thing in vista/manza/verna underbody.

Oh Ilango is it provided for that purpose? I never knew that! I thought it was provided to protect the bumper from damage![lol]

Technically speaking adding spoilers to car plying in indian roads will only increase there looks. Performance wise it doesn't have any impact. But definitly it will increase the looks.. Spoilers will be good for cars like swift, lancer etc. Spoilers with improper design may impact the mileage of the car. So it is better to invest that 3k in some other mods for your car.

Spoilers are required for few cars so as to improve their looks. IMO, Manza & Indigo-CS look better with spoilers on their boot.

Hello guys,

Simple. Spoilers add no value to daily cars. They are only extra burden for them. Basic purpose of a spoiler is to improve aerodynamic allowing better airflow at the same time offering better looks. Spoilers of some cars extend after particular speed. For example Buggati Veyron or Porsche 911.

Simple. Spoilers add no value to daily cars. They are only extra burden for them. Basic purpose of a spoiler is to improve aerodynamic allowing better airflow at the same time offering better looks. Spoilers of some cars extend after particular speed. For example Buggati Veyron or Porsche 911.
Every one cant buy a porsche or a veryron[evil][evil]

It give a down force even in normal car , at a good speed.

even in forward drive , we get traction in tail piece , in curves etc. where a added grip is added advantage.

Just feel the air at 100kmph by opening up the window and waving ur hand opposite to that!!

or in a empty road try this , Open up a door(with windows rolled up for max effect).

that is the pressure of air!

Spoilers have their uses.If people attach them just for show it spoils the look of the car.Track day cars have spoilers to help them while cornering.Most spoilers on high end cars are adjustable.

In many cars, the spoiler comes up when you cross a certain speed.Till then the remain hidden.

Top Bottom