Toyota Corolla Altis (2008) AC Vent Knob Broken

Thread Starter #1
Hello every one, i have a Corolla Altis 2008 Model. Its A/C vent knobs are broken, and need to replace them. I tried calling Toyota, but as per them whole panels have to be changed total cost = 20,000 Rs.
Tried google, no use.
Attaching images for reference.
AC2.jpg

AC3.jpg

Hello every one, i have a Corolla Altis 2008 Model. Its A/C vent knobs are broken, and need to replace them. I tried calling Toyota, but as per them whole panels have to be changed total cost = 20,000 Rs.
Tried google, no use.
Attaching images for reference.
View attachment 218864

View attachment 218865
sometimes i think when this delicate parts break, wouldn't be better if they group again like human nails. skin or hair.....the brake fluid cap of my safari broke and no spare parts had it and i had to turn PUDUPET market upside down seached and got it.

[**Disclaimer** : I am just providing a suggestion. I have not tried the following on any other car except on MS800. All plastic trims are normally secured by snap fits. I am not responsible if you damage/break/snap/destroy the fitting/accessories.]

If you just need vertical movement of fins, place the binder clip as shown.

However if you need a horizontal motion of fins, it's somewhat a hassle.

1.1. Locate the horizontal fin position control rod as shown in fig.

1.2. Take clip rod of binder clip (or any wound-able material) and bind it to horizontal fin position control rod (fig 1.1). You may require a plier.

1.3. If above mentioned step (1.2) fails, you can make a hole in the adjacent fins of horizontal fin position control rod and force the set of fins to move together.

In order to gain access to fins, normally there will a slot which helps in removing vent trim.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
How about fevi-kiwk?
The part which broke off is missing, also feviquick just peels off from that plastic.

However i got some cable, which is used to tie power chords together, it has metal in between. I wrapped it around the knob as shown in below pic. I slowly pushed the knot inside.
Its not the best solution, but it works ! Damage to the knob from my earlier RND can be seen.
Will try to buff it to make it smooth.
AC2 rep.jpg

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
great !
now dab some fevi Kwik on that cable tie so that it won't get undone or rattle. should be more or less permanent.

WoW! 20,000 for just vents of a car, I mean this is insane pricing. I understand that Toyota cars outlast their owners but still no way justifies this kind of pricing for silly plastic parts.

Thread Starter #10
Yep all parts are very costly, one headlamp bulb (xenon) i had to replace was 4,500 Rs. Had no choice so got it replaced. Other make Xeons available in market just don't fit the headlamp.
I have ordered 2 xeons from China for 850 Rs. just in case. People had given them good ratings, hope they work well and not damage any thing else.
Toyota cars outlast their owners because owners drive it slowly in fear of breaking any part. Because after getting price quote from Tyota they have to spend on parts plus to the hospital which treated them for a heart attack.

Thread Starter #11
One more Horror i faced yesterday.
Head lamp washer nozzel cover broke and fell off.
Approx price quoted by toyota : 12,000+
Should have bought a Maruti Ciaz, i regret [cry].
I also Have an Alto, its parts are available in so many flavours - like duplicate, 1st copy, original, Made by Bosch, Gabrial, many local companies. Toyota parts are not available in US, China or India (online). You only get them in Toyota Service station for at least 10 times their real cost.

Attachments

Thread Starter #12
I am very happy that I bought a second hand Altis before actually buying a new Toyota. Car looks sexy and civic has no chance, but no Toyota, cost of repairs are as much as repairing a Bugati, only Maruti henceforth. Parts cost so much, its like repairing a bugatti Veyron. No toyota for me. I would rather try benz or merc next.

12K for washer cover......[surprise] [frustration]

For that price you can get a handmade one in India. You can find "Head lamp washer nozzle cover" in Aliexpress, costs around 25$ (~3K). If you have doubt, you can ask seller.

Thread Starter #14
I bought the front cover for 1500 (550 for part, rest 950 for paint). Also bought small pack of Araldite Klear which has 5 mins initial setting time, and some cotton to bridge the gap. Soaked the cotton with Araldite. Final results are in Pics. Also it is functioning properly.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Forgot to mention one thing, when i went to buy front cover for the headlight actuator, i just asked them whats the cost of a headlight bulb? They asked normal or Xeon, i said its Xeon, they quoted 14,000 Rs. I said, Phillips is selling same for 4,500, chines are 425 rupees with shipping.
I have installed the Chinese 425 Rs bulbs, they are working great. They have worked fine for past 10 days, hope they last.

Top Bottom