Shelf Life Of 3M Double Sided Tape?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I got hold of 3M tape to fix things like hanging bumper mouldings, visors, to fix the idol back in place etc. When I got the tape, I ensuret it was 3M original. Till recently is was doing quite ok- I installed the sill plates back last January and then in July, I removed and reinstalled the bumper mouldings after tey came loose. However, recently, I noticed that the tape wasnt remaining stuck. I got these long black rubber door protectors and installed with the tape and within a month, one was loose and then within 10 days, another. I noticed the tape remains stuck to the car but comes off the rubber strip. So I reinstalled the tape and it came of within a month again.
Now, the tape I have was not really sticky in the first place i.e. if it wouldnt stick to you if you removed the plastic and if the ends stuck together, it did take some effort to separate but it wouldnt stick and form a lump. However, till recently, everything I stuck with it stayed it place provided it was pressed down thoroughly. For example, the bumper mouldings are not showing any inclination of coming off and so do the sill plates. So why is nothing else sticking recently? Do these have a shelf life?

Ameyam

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hmm, perhaps you're right.
The adhesive does loose grip after a while. Maybe the chemical reaction in glue changes after being stored on the shelf (Its like becoming an old man, not as active anymore).

Official shelf life is shown as 2 years.

Attachments

Top Bottom