Starting My Own Automobile Company

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have this long cherished dream of making automobiles and I have been gathering information about components and studying the building of automobiles very closely.

I wish to start with a sub 4m people mover which will not be just a box on wheels. The platform can be used to make other models too.

I am looking for VERY SPECIFIC advice with matters like
(a)homologation and related costs,
(b)Areas where currently available sub 4m UVs are lacking
(c)A design which can be suitable for Indian market.
(d) Use of alternative engines like steam or any other.

Thank you.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Starting my own company

Buddy, its really good that you intend to begin a automobile brand of your own and especially a 4 wheeler brand. If I may know, do you have any prior experience of designing a car as in rough sketches or on CAD or various other software? Apart from this are you planning to invest individually or in partnership? As for the engines, electric and hybrids are the need of the hour.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Sir,

Design, developing and manufacturing automobiles is not a difficult thing. But here in India in order to get road worthiness, we have to get an ARAI/VRDE/iCAT certification which is very time consuming and costly.

[ARAI AIS standards]

Design should have to follow AIS standards, Developing should follow BIS standards and manufacturing should follow ISO TS-16949. Over all IMDS material % data is very important.

a)
To have official approval, your designed vehicle will have to under go crash & impact tests. These test have a long pre-booking dates by OEM's since new safety standards will have to be followed from OCT-2017. As per my idea, each test costs around 3-4L + their services costs.
[homologation details]

b)
Power, too much g-forces, no comfort for tall (for me), looks.

c)
Best example to be a huge customer base would be like baleno. Has premium looks but still cheap. For me, even more awesome would be something like a 4 door thar with current thar dimensions.

d)
As @akash1886 said, electric and hybrids are the need of the hour. Hybrids are more suitable for India, because we can't be sure when electricity will be out especially when travelling to other states.

Above things mentioned is for a inter-transportation people mover vehicle. However for intra-transportation best example would be like a (electric) golf cart.

For a intra transportation vehicle, you don't have to follow all those rules. Just some simple ones. Since it's an intra transportation you don't even need a road worthiness certificate.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Sir,

Design, developing and manufacturing automobiles is not a difficult thing. But here in India in order to get road worthiness, we have to get an ARAI/VRDE/iCAT certification which is very time consuming and costly.

[ARAI AIS standards]

Design should have to follow AIS standards, Developing should follow BIS standards and manufacturing should follow ISO TS-16949. Over all IMDS material % data is very important.

a)
To have official approval, your designed vehicle will have to under go crash & impact tests. These test have a long pre-booking dates by OEM's since new safety standards will have to be followed from OCT-2017. As per my idea, each test costs around 3-4L + their services costs.
[homologation details]

b)
Power, too much g-forces, no comfort for tall (for me), looks.

c)
Best example to be a huge customer base would be like baleno. Has premium looks but still cheap. For me, even more awesome would be something like a 4 door thar with current thar dimensions.

d)
As @akash1886 said, electric and hybrids are the need of the hour. Hybrids are more suitable for India, because we can't be sure when electricity will be out especially when travelling to other states.

Above things mentioned is for a inter-transportation people mover vehicle. However for intra-transportation best example would be like a (electric) golf cart.

For a intra transportation vehicle, you don't have to follow all those rules. Just some simple ones. Since it's an intra transportation you don't even need a road worthiness certificate.
This is the information I was looking for. Thanks for the reply guys.

I donot have an experience with any auto company but I had made my own designs for UVs SUVs and micro cars. atleast abt 10 of them. Sadly my laptop was stolen a a few mnths ago and I lost everything with it. SO back to the drawing boards.[cry]

I had computer sketches of a better version of Eeco. Larger and more spacious with better safety for similar price. A microcar to slot with the Nano/Alto. A 7 seater SUV on the lines of the CRV. Inspirations were taken from cars all over the world to incorporate their positives. I had even planned interiors of the SUV to have better placements of CNG tanks for higher range.

Happy it helped you. [:D]

I used to work as a design engineer in a automotive component manufacturing company. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. [glasses]

Since you don't have any relevant experience in an Automotive Industry, here are some of my tips:
- Don't tell your complete ideas to anyone. People will steal and use your ideas. Especially OEM's (happened to me. Hence I apply for utility or design patents)
- Don't tell anyone how much you are able to invest. 90% of people will cheat you.
- Be careful when drafting. Once finalised, revision of design may cost you huge money.
- Component suppliers will over price even for MOQ, especially for moulding components.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hello sankyp,
Accept my sincere praise for your Bold decisions and hard work. Seriously, starting a 4 wheeler company is no joke. A company like M&M might be a million times larger than what you are planning for a start, still M&M (Or others) Gets pelted with criticism, Complaints and lawsuits. It really takes some mettle to face it as a small company.

Do let me know whats your USP and why do you feel your company will be able to carve out a following in heat of the market.

Thread Starter #7

Hello sankyp,
Accept my sincere praise for your Bold decisions and hard work. Seriously, starting a 4 wheeler company is no joke. A company like M&M might be a million times larger than what you are planning for a start, still M&M (Or others) Gets pelted with criticism, Complaints and lawsuits. It really takes some mettle to face it as a small company.

Do let me know whats your USP and why do you feel your company will be able to carve out a following in heat of the market.
We will be a small company which will focus more on meeting and exceeding the levels of current players where it comes to space, utility and value for money. After sales service will be an important factor in success and that will also be innovative.

Our USP will be practicality like the Qualis and the Santro, both of which were criticised for their looks but were super practical cars. The designs will not be drab or boring but will try to step it up compared to its competitors. Overall will be good VFM.

It's a bold step and may the forces be with you.

I do not want to discourage you but in the past there were many players and they did not survive for long time. That does not mean you will also not succeed. Dedication, hard work pays off well if luck is with you.

If this is your emotional decision then I do not want to comment you, but if you are planning to consider this as serious future business, I would suggest that you first become OEM supplier. Like instrument cluster, seats, lights etc.

This will give you an idea of automotive industry and you will be on lesser risk. Once you realize that you are doing better, you can start your company anytime.

All the best for your endeavor.

If you have the funds required, I would suggest you to visit Dabwali in Haryana, the place known for Jeep remanufacturing and trust me they are the best in what they do and get the Idea.

Now, If I were you and got pocket to invest still I would approach in a different manner than what generally most of the manufacturers do. I would do what Tata is going to do with Tamo. Yes kit car concept.
There are four major things to start with

Platforms
Engine
Gear Box
Design

In car kit you can utilize existing platform and engine from the donor car. What you can offer is new exterior design, interiors and engine modifications along with suspension modifications as per the need of the customers.

Open dealerships or small setups in different cities where you deliver the car kit and customers can bring their own existing cars or can purchase from your dealer and get the car kit fitted.

You can start with SUV kit to fit willy or jeep platform with great interiors and even a hard top version with new interiors on Force products like Gurkha and Toofan which are great but not good with interiors and kind of barebones.

Just few Ideas I have for now and would love to help you out further if you need.

Top Bottom