Urgent: 1 Month Old Ford Ecosport Sync Module Failure!

Thread Starter #1
I bought my Ecosport on 22nd November and have done 3800 kms and totally love it.

Everything was going well, but 'unfortunately' one day I logged into the Ford Owners account and found that there is an update for sync available. I tried downloading it but never got the download link on my email. I mailed Ford support. They asked me to go to the nearest Ford service station i.e. Planet Ford, Bibvewadi.
They finally get to updating my vehicle on 18th December at 11:30 a.m. saying that it takes only an hour for the whole process. After almost 3 hours of no response I ask them what is going on? They tell that the file wasn't downloaded properly and they are trying again but end up getting USB error time and again. I leave the vehicle and ask them to inform me when it is done. In the evening I enquire, and get the response that, "sir, there was server problem". I ask them to deliver the vehicle as is so that I can go home. They tell me that they will talk to Ford tech and get some solution by Tuesday i.e. 20th dec.
On Tuesday they say that Ford has sent some update for their own program which they use to update sync, so he will contact me as soon as he is ready to update my vehicle. Now, today the SA comes and takes my car around 2:45 saying that he will get the work done and deliver car before my office gets over. At 7:30, he delivers the car to me saying that, "Sir, it cannot be fixed. Tomorrow, i will send your car's report to Ford and Sync module has broken and we'll have to replace it. It costs 40,000, obviously it won't cost you anything."

I dont get it.
Sync was working well before all this fiasco. My only complaint was that it was a little slow in reading the songs on my phone, also due the sheer large size of the files too. I was expecting it to get better after this update. But there were no hardware problems as such. Now their saying that sync module has to be replaced seems that their analysis that it is a hardware problem seems flawed to me. I think that since they are not able to sort the software issue hence they are trying to sort it by replacing hardware.

What should i do now?

P.S. I am going out of station after 26 for 3-4 weeks, so i wanted this to be fixed before that. But this now seems like a big problem. Also when i told them this and asked if i could get it replaced at place i am going to, they said No, saying thar since they are getting the module, only they can replace it. Then they said that they'll try their best to get the module before 25 which i think is highly improbable.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Urgent: 1 Month old Ecosport Sync module failure!!!

It is natural to be angry to see some part fail ( for any reason) in a new car.
Maybe they didn't have technical knowledge or whatever the reason was but they accepted their mistake and are willing to replace it free of cost.

So i'd say just wait for the part to arrive. No reason to be angry at this. If they fix it before 25 well and good but if they can't you will have to wait.

For the time being you can try any other method to listen to songs in your car. The first thing that came into my mind is Bluetooth speakers. Again you may have it or a friend of yours , it will be an additional expenditure but you won't get bored.
If you can live without songs then get it fixed after coming back.
But be in touch with the service people. Sometimes they are careless.

It's a common problem with ford sync tech. Microsoft really screwed up this one. You'll find at least 1 in every 10000 ford owner with this problem around the world.

Since they are replacing it, you don't have to worry that much. If you have update the software and bricked it then you'd have to pay 40K for it.

Well like @allhyundaicars said, bluetooth speakers is a better alternative.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Calm down buddy,
This is nothing new. Its what we call a "Firmware flash Corruption"
They probably tried flashing a corrupt or Incomatible file to the Sync Module, rendering it useless. This is the same we we try updating BIOS in PC but you suffer power outage or Corrupt file. often the Motherboard is required to be replaced.

As your vehicle is covered in warranty, It will be simply replaced for you. I got XUV infotainment replaced thrice (Due to various reasons) and it costs 60~70k (Free in warranty)

P.s Carry a laptop for music or bluetooth speaker as allhyundaicars said.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thank you @allhyundaicars, @krishna6239, @bhvm for the reply.

I am not worried about listening to music at all. Only worry I have is that I'll be out of station in 3 days. Will they be able to do it before that? Or can I get it done at another place, since they had replied in negative

bhvm

Honoured Member
Or can I get it done at another place, since they had replied in negative
DO NOT get it done anywhere else. Its their mess, let them clean it.
If you are not worried about music, you can also get it done after you come back from the trip. There should be no issues in regular driving etc.

Thread Starter #7
@bhvm sorry, i should have phrased it in a more proper way. I am relocating from Pune, its not a trip, hence the worry.

bhvm

Honoured Member
hmm. that's different. are you changing states?

anyways, ask Pune Service (I guess they messed it? ) to send a mail & confirmation to your new location that your work be done there free of cost. otherwise you can also ask Pune svc to hand over the sync module physically to you for faster transit. then you can get it installed at new place.

it would also be wise to shoot a mail to Ford headquarters declaring your plans.

Thread Starter #9
Update:

I reached Kota on 2nd Jan but since I was keeping busy, contacted Ford on 12th Jan for further process. They referred the local workshop KS Ford to look into the matter.

15-17th Jan - They didn't want to replace the module and try to check the fault first. They tried to re-diagnose the issue but couldn't, citing some update issues. They say that they'll get back to me after they update their systems.
24th Jan - After no update from their side, I mail to Ford CC asking them to get the work expedited.
31st Jan - After No reply from Ford CC either, I shoot another mail to Ford CC threatening mail to seniors. They spring back to action.
1st Feb - Dealer takes my car around 2:30 noon and returns car at 6:30 stating that everything is working. No 'details' on the work done given. I thought that maybe they were able to update the software finally which Pune workshop couldn't.
2nd Feb - Ford CC calls me to ask if the issue has been sorted. I reply in positive and then he asks if the module was replaced, I tell him that I don't know about that as I wasn't informed. Then he connects KS Ford on conference and the guy there says that yes, the module was replaced. Complaint closed.

First, when it takes weeks to source a sync module from vendors, how were they able to do that in a day, when they clearly hadn't ordered one. Must be from some Test Drive Vehicle

Second, the system is working but many times, I get a blank screenon USB/AUX mode, which wasn't there earlier. Also the sync voice doesn't say anything when the button is pressed. Just a beep, which is different from earlier. I can see that it is v5.9 but I am doubtful if the above changes are due to the new version and if they have replaced with a faulty sync module itself.

Top Bottom