• Before 3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • When car manufracturer upgraded the car with all new same model

• When your neighbour upgraded his car

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
What are the priority points when you are changing the car. In my case I use the car until juice left or govt policies changes like 15 year old cars ban or definitive emission restrictions, until that I will maintain the cars in prestine condition. All my cars are 1 lakh plus driven still they can do more.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
Re: When do you change your car

Till now I have brought 2 cars of my own, but largely in my family we upgrade the car to a different segment/technology.

Initially we had a second hand Padmini, which was upgraded to a M800 after keeping it for 9 years and 90K kms in 98 would attribute it to the technology upgrade.

Kept 800 for 10 Yrs and 90K and upgraded it with 1st Gen i20 in 2009. I bought my Wagon R in the same year.

In between a Xylo was brought in 2011 as a family mover and still going strong with 85K+ kms under its belt.

I20 was replaced by Jetta in 2014 and Wagon R is still used at home to run errands.
WR is converted to CNG and has best running costs.

I have a Camry here in US for last 3 years and content with the car as it serves good for our family of 3 and I have no plans for an upgrade.

Mostly it would always be upgrade to next segment at around half life of the car. It ensures that you get a better resale and can be used as down payment for the next car.

For Xylo and WR we don't have any replacements as they are fit for the purpose they are brought for. I think Jetta would also be kept for next 3 years as there is no upgrade to this car in the segment and the next segment means crossing the 20L barrier.

i will sell if it gives up and no parts are available to repair. [;)]
but my stingray was a different story , as it did not please me on its ride quality and build quality.

simply to say , i will always keep 1 car which is close to my heart , until it gives up, and 1 practical cars like maruthi, where its easy to maintain and repair and spares are available even if it is 100 years old , and will use for all city and rough uses and repair broken parts with less money.

1 car mostly luxury sedans, will use for 50k and sell before its value drops , just because of that and next car for new features and as you mentioned for a change

For me it is important to have reliability and durability as I frequently take long routes (200-500 kms) and long full night drives. Hence my rule is simple:
1-1.2 lac kms done OR if the car starts proving unreliable. We kept Laura, Corolla, Swift, Innova for over a lac kms and around 4 years each. On the other hand we sold Safari, Scorpio and XUV all within an year and at 8,000, 18,000 and 32,000 kms respectively.

Top Bottom