Maruti Swift Dzire VDi Multiple Gauges Not Working

Thread Starter #1
I am having the following issues. Please suggest me a solution

A month back I replaced my Speed sensor as the speedometer was not working and struck at 0. ( @ Authorized Maruti Service Center - Vishnu Cars thailavaram). It was working fine until yesterday.
Since yesterday, I am facing multiple issues. The same speedometer problem is back. Sometimes, the external temperature is not working. Also, the fuel gauge indicator is fluctuating when the vehicle is running but works fine while it is in neutral.

I am suspecting that there could be some issues with electrical. But the dealer insists to change the sensor again. Suggestions welcome. Please post some suggestions and location of some knowledgeable Automotive electrical repair shops in Chennai. Better if it is in and around Tambaram or OMR

Re: Swift Dzire VDi Multiple gauges not working

Try to connect OBD 2 scanner and check for any error codes related to BCM(Body Control Module). In VDI there is no outside temperature sensor, that is available in Zdi only right.

-suryaputhra

athulmurali said:
. Also, the fuel gauge indicator is fluctuating when the vehicle is running but works fine while it is in neutral.
I think this may happen because when the car is in running condition the fuel moves within tank due to jerking. What I see when standing on a slope it reads less but in flat road it goes up.

As Mr. Suryaputhra told connect to OBD and check .
As multiple gauges are failing the issue can be related with Display sensor -Which provides the display of all other sensor in the main console.

Thread Starter #5
Try to connect OBD 2 scanner and check for any error codes related to BCM(Body Control Module). In VDI there is no outside temperature sensor, that is available in Zdi only right.

-suryaputhra
Thanks all for your support. Can anyone suggest an OBD II reader on budget that works well with android or iOS. Anything is fine. Either Bluetooth or wifi

I think this may happen because when the car is in running condition the fuel moves within tank due to jerking. What I see when standing on a slope it reads less but in flat road it goes up.

You are partially right. When In slope, there are huge fluctuations. But in a horizontal plane it is still showing fluctuation. However this has never happened in my last four years of riding.

-suryaputhra
No it is present is VDi Dzire. The mechanic pulled it out from somewhere near the grill

Last edited by a moderator:

bhvm

Honoured Member
It appears like there is some moisture between electrical contacts or sensor. Also a possibility of rats chewing wires.

Thread Starter #9
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9SSbvrLs454SmR6aGZmMEs3YmM/view?usp=sharing

Outside temperature display is not there in VDI pls check below centre row is for VDi/VXi. Image is from Maruti Suzuki.

-suryaputhra

Hi Surya, Check this out. A picture of my car interiors. Hope this clarifies your doubt

146531893246382.jpg

Latest update:

Power steering is also malfunctioning a bit.
Though the indicator for power steering malfunction is not showing any such issue, I can feel it. Sometimes it turns very rigid and sometimes it is very smooth (Not particular to any direction)

The speedometer needle oscillates at a high frequency and then goes dead.

Forgot to mention this before:
I told my dealer about the mysterious theft alarm screams once in two hours. But he told me this is due to the rubber bush that was not in proper contact (Somewhere in bonnet).

Also, I observed jerks in 60 kmph while the road was so smooth [confused][cry][cry]

Looks like there are some issues with fuel injection too.

All together:

negatives :
Speedometer - X
External temp sensor - X
Fuel gauge - X
Car alarm - X (Suddenly screams even when no one is out there)

Positive:

Rpm gauge - ok

Hi Surya, Check this out. A picture of my car interiors. Hope this clarifies your doubt
You have not mentioned your model of the car I have assumed latest model it does not have outside temperature sensor. By the way as I said it is the problem with your BCM.

-suryaputhra

Thread Starter #12
Forgot to reply. Posting it now.
*long one *

Two incidents:

After that week , I took my car to popular services. (Saligramam chennai).

1. Was assigned a service adviser. Got my car diagnosed. He found the error codes of speed senors , power steering. (Expected part) . Now the entertaining part. He told me , having cleared the error codes I could drive my car for 200 miles and come back if there are any problem.
Also when I asked the reason , he was giving an explanation that the malfunctions were because of the error code history which weren't cleared earlier. This got me annoyed. His pathetic knowledge being a service adviser gave me laughter. Took it for a drive. By the end of the street, my speedo went dead.

Part 2:
Fortunately I had went there with a friend who had his usual service adviser - Mr. Prabhakar
As soon as I told him all the events. He called the nippon team and some mechanics for the rescue.
They did a deep inspection for a day. Received my car in two days. They had to replace VSS. Also they informed me that the wire connecting the VSS to the consoles was cut.

Info : This wire gives the speed info to the steering as a feedback. Whenever the connection goes down , all dependent systems stop working. Fortuitously it was a minor fix and he didnt even take a dime of money from me.

The alarm was buzzing due to the malfunctioning switch below the bonnet. Once the bonnet is closed, it is supposed to be pushed down. But it didn't. He showed me the scratches that the struck switch had created. Due to wear and tear

Now I am driving it happily.

Thanks to
Mr. Prabhakar,
service adviser
Popular Cars,
Saligramam,Chennai

Last edited:

Top Bottom