Driving My Car Too Less!

Thread Starter #1
Hello I am novice regarding cars and recently I have purchased a Tata Bolt Xm. My daily driving is almost negligible. I take my car on weekends but not on every weekend. My monthly commuting is less than 100 kms. Is there any problem i am posing to my car in the long run by riving it too less. One of my friend told me to drive car atleast 4-5 kms daily to maintain the consistent life of engine.
Please suggest me what should I do.
Thank you.

Once in a week you drive your car at least 30km, to keep your battery charged, engine oil circulation in cylinder and other internal parts otherwise condensation is formed inside cylinders and rust is formed in the cylinder and inside engine parts. Use AC it will lubricate your compressor, orings and expansion valve. Tyres will be run-in properly. catalytic converter also cleaned. So on week ends drive atleast 30km.

-suryaputhra.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hello I am novice regarding cars and recently I have purchased a Tata Bolt Xm. My daily driving is almost negligible. I take my car on weekends but not on every weekend. My monthly commuting is less than 100 kms. Is there any problem i am posing to my car in the long run by riving it too less. One of my friend told me to drive car atleast 4-5 kms daily to maintain the consistent life of engine.
Please suggest me what should I do.
Thank you.
First, ensure to crank the engine every 2 days. Remember an idle / unused / very very less used car would require more maintenance in the long run. Drive your car for atleast 5-7 kms every 2-3 days. On weekends, drive it for 50 Km up and down. Also, keeping the car idle for long would eventually lead to deterioration of the lubes inside the engine. So, if you have bought a vehicle then use it buddy. There is a saying, ships are safest, when in stockyard. But they aren't meant to be!! So, it may appear that you are saving your car by using / driving it less but honestly, you are shortening the life of your car by keeping it idle at large.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Hi skg11b
Welcome to TATA family.
Mine is Bolt XM and facing the same problem when I purchased last year. It is so expensive for single person to use for daily travel so my car is in parking at least 20-25 days in month. One thought came in my mind to fit aftermarket CNG, read reviews on teambhp, TAI and other forum and conclude that it is risk of engine malfunction due to CNG use. Drop this plan to fit CNG for now. So what I did is I decided to use Bolt for office commute and convinced my colleagues for that. We are sharing petrol expenses for the same. Two things are in my favor, first My Bolt will run daily so no problem of being idle. Second thing we get rid of Pune traffic and no back pain which is caused due to bike(Yes, Honda Unicorn gives me so much of back pain [frustration]). Rest of that follow the above tips by suryputra and Aakash.

Last edited:
@skg11b, welcome to TAI.

Do not sweat, as you can make our by my location, I am most of the time outside India, I have the following vehicles.

1. WagonR 2014 11k Km.
2. M800 1999 54k km.
3. Bajaj Caliber 2003 45k km.
4. Jupiter 2015 723 km.
5. Bajaj Super 1982

Excepting the Jupiter which is used by my man friday for bank & sundry work, he takes out the other vehicles once in 7/10 days takes for a spin cleans & stored back, this is going on for years, without any problems.

For you I cannot suggest car pool, aree log kya kahenge? aree bhai kanpur ki baat hi kutch aur hai, the other 2 suggestions are pretty doable.

All the best.

Vinod

skg11b,Going a bit off topic but couldnt resist myself.
Why did you buy the car in first place? any perticular need of just status quo?
I mean you could have used taxis for those trips and used the money better somewhere else.

Just curious and no offense please.

Top Bottom