Car Replacement vs Spending on Maintenance

Thread Starter #1
I bought a used safari as a upgrade from my hatchback. been 16 odd months and the car has done close to 70k. total odo reading is 120,000. Now the dilema is to replace or maintain.

I got the car for 3.90. spent on 26k on four new tyres and litter over 10k for timming belt replacement at the 1 lakh kilometer point as it was mandatory after reading varous ownership threads and also TASS recommended it.

I am 27 and i make 40k per month. the home emi's are over. My monthly expenditure does not cost me above 12k as no need to pay rent which was eating most of my income. i am unmarried and not to plan to get married atleast for the next one year.

From the market, my safari fetches me around 3 to 3.2. I can give 50% percent from my savings. so i can spend around 4.2 on a new car and the rest amount is loan. got a quote as axis bank for the intrest rate of 9.5%.

I am looking at a car around 8 to 9 lakhs. My basic requirement are abs and airbag max 10 lakh on road. the emi's range at half of my incomes per income for 4 years or 5 year and then comes the insurance package and service costs.

Now my main concerns for thinking about replacement:

Lack of abs, airbag
has done 1.2 and it's a 8 year old car.

The mehcanical condtion of the car is good. no break downs and no unexpected repairs. only regular oil change and consumables. the paint quality is also okay.

as per TASS, the engine is good. No danger signs. does not consume oil. there are no rusting on body.

TASS said the next expenditure would be suspension overhauling. TASS costs about 20k for the overhaul. But The ride quality is good.

I am so confused, gurus pls help me in taking a decision.

Re: Replacement or spending on maintainence

I suggest to get it replaced with a brand new vehicle for the below reasons,
- Your requirement for safety features, nothing much could be done on this old truck to add safety features
- 16 months and 70k km [surprise] that's a pretty good mileage. If your usage will remain same in future, it is better to go for a more reliable and new machine as it is already 120k on odo.

Top Bottom