My Tata Safari Storme Stolen: Keys With Me

Thread Starter #1
Dear all,
My safari storme was stolen from my house on the the night of 9th September. I have got both the keys and also the gear lock was engaged. I want to know the technical possibilities that how could thieves took away the car which has an inbuilt immobilizer and
is it so easy for the thieves to make a duplicate key.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Safari storme stolen-keys with me

Options:

Hacking the RFID Tag on front windshield.

Opening door with scale after dis-arming the central lock buzzer.

If the gear lock is U-Clamp one, can be broken by hammer.

Using a master key for ignition.

Goes without saying though, install CCTV in your home.

Regards

Akash

Very sorry to know this.

Have you complained this to police and received the FIR copy?

Hopefully you got insurance to cover this damage. Usually police deny to register the complaint if you don't have the latest insurance copies with you.

Perhaps, some showroom/service guys may have culprit on this who can able to get duplicate keys. Or else some relatives/friends who might have access to the keys might be able to make duplicate keys, or some mighty professional thieves. Just a thought.

bhvm

Honoured Member

that's very disheartening mate. it could only be someone trained who can do this. some disgruntled Mechanic perhaps? or a chauffeur who turned sour?

I hope you have the documents ready.

Really sorry to know about your loss. Despite all your precautions looks like some pro-thief is involved in this. Please ensure you file a complaint in police station as early as possible. Nowadays the trend is to do crime with stolen vehicles and leave them wherever convenient.

Dear all,
My safari storme was stolen from my house on the the night of 9th September. I have got both the keys and also the gear lock was engaged. I want to know the technical possibilities that how could thieves took away the car which has an inbuilt immobilizer and
There are many cheap devices including immo emulators that can emulate your immobilizer and key. Aliexpress is favorite online shop for such devices. Some are ECU plug and play[anger] It's way too easy to steal once inside the vehicle. There are myriad non-electronic ways to get into your vehicle.

Once a very rich family was suffered heavy theft. Erstwhile chauffer who had left the job was culprit, he managed to get the duplicate set of the keys of all the rooms & cupboards as owner had left it in the car while he had gone to see a movie, and chauffer had enough time to get the duplicate set created from a nearby key maker. Later he left the job and a year later he stole all the valuables from house when whole family gad gone to watch a movie.

Automakers do provide a key code itched on a small aluminium plate which is hooked in the key chain provided by them if this code is read by someone it is easier to get the new key from automaker albeit there is paperwork to be done before.

Also, If the owner forgets to lock the doors or window in hurry it is possible to get inside without muchproblem & open the bonnet.

Get the police to check the CCTV footage of that night from nearby ATMs, chowks, and see if you can get the glimpse.

PS: Be prepared to listen comments like 'we had told you not to go for TATA!!!'

@Akash, please share long form of word RFID here, http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...tions-acronyms-short-forms-mnemonics-tai.html

Last edited:

Dear all,
Sorry to hear that buddy, I hope you have registered a police complain on the next morning or night itself.

Now start wishing that:
  • Either the car gets traced and discovered in the same state as it was before getting stolen, if not; then better cops don't find it out
  • The car hasn't got involved in some criminal activity till now and doesn't get involved in something at least before you get the insurance money

Immobilizer:

How can thieves take away the car? By byepassing the immobilizer circuit, this is what I was told by an electronic engineer.

Have a parallel circuit to the one with an immobilizer and your ECU will keep thinking that the immobilizer hasn't objected the triggering of the ignition. Hence your ECU will trigger the ignition and the vehicle starts.

Gear Lock: I guess there is something called master key for these simple mechanical locks and the professional thieves have access to all such things.

Cars from outside the house are not stolen instantly, this is something done after proper recce and what not. Maybe your car is stolen now but maybe they were monitoring your movements, timings etc since a couple of weeks. If you can make out someone suspicious like an unknown person who suddenly started roaming around during night times but has disappeared now etc can be a clue.

IMO this one seems to be a hifi gang like the ones who steal the vehicles on demand. They know the preference like color choice, vehicle make etc of the buyer and then they first discover the vehicle and then steal it (Stealing Swift, Bolero or Scorpio is fine as they are hot in black market but Safari Storme isn't something they will steal for a hit and trial game of selling). There are chances that your car is already somewhere far enough or out of the reach of Delhi cops.

Options:

Hacking the RFID Tag on front windshield.
Not of much use sirji

Opening door with scale after dis-arming the central lock buzzer.
Neither thieves have this much time to first disarm the buzzer and then move ahead nor they take the risks of being present at the location for so long. It takes them hardly 4-5 minutes to drive away in the stolen car.

Secondly, opening the door with the scale is near impossible for vehicles like Storme. Adding to this the door latch and actuator motor doesn't let the scale move the system to unlock position even after one applies a lot of force on it.

If the gear lock is U-Clamp one, can be broken by hammer.
Noise generation

Using a master key for ignition.
Good possibility. I guess BHVM can answer this one.

@BHVM: Sirji is it possible to have a master key for these immobilizer circuits?

bhvm

Honoured Member
dear sir,
I clearly remember a thread somewhere where owner had described in detail, an attempt on scorpio theft (immobilizer equipped )

to summarize,

1)the thief broke indicators and shorted their wires to to defeat the alarms. this presumably blows certain fuses to alarm would not sound.

2. the gained entry by brute force.

3. thief connected a laptop to some port below dashboard to'flash ' the immobilizer

4. the process appears similar how a dealer 'teaches' new. spare key into the ecu or firmware.
so yes mr Vipul.
there is some kind of 'master password' which let's you hack the ecu or immobilzer to start the vehicle.
the author described that Mahindra used a common access code for old gen vehicles which made theft easy. the current versions have unique codes which should help.

Thread Starter #10
Guys,

Thanks for your concern and response. I have lodged the FIR on the same day. CCTV footage from neighbors has shown that it took almost half an hour to steal. There was one other car with them which was parked with my safari.
All the lights including back lights and all indicators were working in the CCTV footage when so there is a remote possibility that they short circuit some wire to start it.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
CCTV footage from neighbors has shown that it took almost half an hour to steal.
Was the face of thieves captured in it?

There was one other car with them which was parked with my safari.
Could you confirm on the other car or its reg. number? I am saying this because with help of other car's registration number you can cross verify with the RTO.

All the lights including back lights and all indicators were working in the CCTV footage when so there is a remote possibility that they short circuit some wire to start it.
It is not just remote possibility but a big one at that. You see when a central lock equipped car is tried to be opened with key, in that case, the engine does not start and immobilizer comes into affect. In such conditions, once the driver/thief enters the car, the hood is opened and with the battery of other car the stolen car is started by touching the terminals of battery of both cars with wire. The car in which thieves came, it would have been cranked first so that with the current from that car, your car's battery would have charged and your car started. It is called jump start. Now you know why that "other" car was parked next to your TATA Safari.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

Top Bottom