Shipping a Car Within India

Thread Starter #1
My father recently got transferred to chennai. So we will all be shifting base to chennai from Mumbai.
The query I have is how do I ship my car to Chennai via a truck or a ship? Are there any logistics companies which offer shipping of cars. As driving all the way to chennai is not an option my family is considering how do I ship it. Gurus please help!

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Shipping car within India

Hi Ravi, You may use the services of Inter State Packer and Movers for sending your car from Bombay to Chennai. You may check the list of service providers on the net and their terms and conditions.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Omg thank you so much Akash sir.
Such valuable solution you have provided! Ideas like that would've never come to my mind.

Now a days most of the packers are moves does this. You can check with lot of people. But cost might be high.

Agarwal packers and movies
Move My car

How to choose Car carrier or Transport Company.

Scams are abound in the auto transport industry. We take you through how to choose an auto transport company, and more importantly, how to avoid the scams that prey on those shipping their vehicles long distances

STEP 1
Find a company you are interested in and go directly to their website for a quote. (Do not put your information in a multi-quote website. You will receive unfavorable email and phones calls by 20 different companies.) You must enter all information correctly to receive the most accurate rate. Most automatic quotes that you will receive are for operable, standard passenger vehicles. Cars with modifications (i.e. lift kits, lowered suspensions, bigger tires) and cars that do not run cost additional money for the size, weight and conditions for the carrier.

STEP 2
Do not automatically go with the lowest price. Many companies lure unsuspecting customers with the lowest bid. They then need to locate a carrier to physically move your vehicle. If the carrier does not accept the low price (and generally they don't), then your vehicle will not be moved. A lot of companies low-ball customers into using their company.

STEP 3
Research the transport companies you are considering. Learn from others experiences using the wealth of information available on the Internet. You can start with simply doing a Google search of the companies name, or by using a review website. Call multiple companies, ask friends if they have ever used a transport company. Review quotes, terms & conditions, reviews posted on the Internet, and . Make sure they have been in business at least a few years. This is a highly unregulated industry, and many less than desirable companies pop-up with new names every few years to strike unsuspecting customers again and again. Make sure the brokers are bonded and that the carriers they assign are licensed and insured. Whichever company you decide to go with, familiarize yourself with their dispute resolution procedures as well.

STEP 4
Make a decision about which company to use and book your transport. Make sure to have a confirmation via fax or email. Read everything a company sends you before signing it. Be aware that if you place a reservation via Internet, your e-signature is binding once you click send or submit.

STEP 5
Prepare your vehicle for transport by removing all personal or valuable items. Auto carriers prefer you have less than a quarter tank of fuel because it greatly decreases the weight they carry and the less weight they haul the better the fuel economy while driving from point to point. The less it costs them the less it will continue to cost you!! It is a good idea to wash vehicles before the inspection report at pick up. This ensures the car’s condition is readily recognized before transit. It's also a good idea to disable any alarm system before transport.

STEP 6
Make sure the carrier inspects your vehicle. At pick-up, the driver should inspect the car for any existing damage. They will footnote the damage on a VEHICLE CONDITION REPORT. They will ask you to sign it and will hand you a copy of the report for your records. Keep this with you until the car is delivered.

STEP 7
Inspect the car to ensure there are no additional dings, dents or scratches. This is your only opportunity to claim damage, so please take your time. If any damage is claimed, make sure the carrier signs the condition report and make sure you retain a copy for your records.

Apart from simply moving the car to TN is not enough. You might need to pay road tax again and might even re-registration might required.

Again I prefer driving down. It looks like you might need to spend somewhere between 15k to 25k (This as per 2007) and sometime may be more. Instead you spend 1/4 of this for fuel, and book and flight ticket back to Mumbai from Chennai.

Why you have not choosen driving down. Even with stopages you can drive down easily.

Hope you aware that we drove from chennai to pune and back for VW factory visit (Dhaya drove all the way on both ways) We started in Pune around 7 AM in the morning and reached Chennai next day early morning 3. This we drove continiously. (with small breaks for food and refreshments) Instead you can have stop over somewhere for night stay and then start again.

Roads were superb and enjoyed the entire drive a lot. For me I drove Enjoy Varun's for some time on both ways. it was great experience for me to drive in non TN roads.

Sethu

Top Bottom