Alloy Wheels on Bike: Safety vs Style

Thread Starter #1
Hello everybody. Last week i read about an accident happened with somebody's bike and my doubt about alloy spokes wheel got more stronger. Bike's owner said that due to sudden braking alloy spokes were broken. After that companys team went to saw the bike and after research they said that the breakage of the alloy wheel was caused by a side impact of a rigid object on the front tyre and rim at speed of approximately 80 kmph from the right hand side. I cant imagine what happened to the rider. Now the question arises that whether alloy wheels are safe or not? I think old steel spokes and rims are best for any bike. No matter we have to change rims and spokes after every 4-5 years. Afterall safety is first. I think if that bike had steel rims, accident never happened. Even if steel rims hit anything it would not broke. I was planning of having new bike bajaj discover 150 F but now i have to drop my plan because this particular bike is having web spoke alloy wheel (very thin according to me) and that makes me feel unsafe all the time. I am not blaming bajaj company. I am having bajaj 150 with steel rims since 12 years and its great perfomer since then. Only i want to say is that every company should pay first attention to safety and not style. Seriously speaking i am doubtful even about 5 single spokes design after reading about that accident.

Alloy wheels are both for safety as well as style. Maybe the case you have pointed would have been a one-off case.

I have seen heavy Bullets with 2 spoke alloys running perfectly fine after years of use. Manufacturers do complete R&D before approving a design. It can be the alloy you were referring to would been a defective batch as it involves a perfect mixture of many elements and even the slightest of variation would invite trouble.

Steel wheels (with many spokes) are safer in the sense that it will not break but bend first, unlike alloy wheels which will crack but not bend. If you still feel unsafe with alloy wheels, get a bike with alloys and get them replaced with good quality steel spoke rims from another bike (similar size and specs obviously) at the dealership itself. I hope they would not charge extra as you'd be giving up expensive alloy wheels for cheaper steel rims.

Top Bottom