Health Issues Caused By Dashboard Plastic Smell

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys and experts, I seriously need solution on my problem as its affecting my health- physical as well as mental. My one and half year old Toyota Etios is good by all the aspects except interior smell. Whenever I travel for more than some couple of hours, it usually start troubles like fatigue, nausea, tiredness. Recently I travelled by it for a week. It started the same issues and next week I realize I lost wait. when I googled, it said that this is due to interior odor or fumes. I am experiencing this issue since day 1 of purchase and surprisingly, even after 18 months, it still persist. Has anybody ever felt the same as me? experts please help!!

Re: Health Issues by plastic in the dashborad!!

dear kuku,
I can not think of anything used to make a car that would cause such a thing. toyota sells thousands of these every month and I have never heard of a problem such as this.what sort of smell are you talking about? Are you sure your new car is the culprit. I think it could be something else.

Hi guys and experts, I seriously need solution on my problem as its affecting my health- physical as well as mental. My one and half year old Toyota Etios is good by all the aspects except interior smell. Whenever I travel for more than some couple of hours, it usually start troubles like fatigue, nausea, tiredness. Recently I travelled by it for a week. It started the same issues and next week I realize I lost wait. when I googled, it said that this is due to interior odor or fumes. I am experiencing this issue since day 1 of purchase and surprisingly, even after 18 months, it still persist. Has anybody ever felt the same as me? experts please help!!
i think you need some general health checkup it can be due to diabetes if any one have in your family background [frustration] same things happens with me when ac of my vista makes the car chill but i am a diabetic so its common thing for me
try to use car perfume can make you feel better[embarass]

Whenever I travel for more than some couple of hours, it usually start troubles like fatigue, nausea, tiredness. Recently I travelled by it for a week.
Next time when you are on a week long trip take your friend's car or hire one. This will let you know the problem is really with the car or something else. I have seen diabetes and spondylitis causing similar trouble for people (friends and family) in long drives.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
It's because of the low quality plastic materials used in the Dashboard and over a period of exposure to sunlight and piercing heat, these causes bad odours and makes a unhealthy atmosphere inside the car.
My Kind request is to not use plastic water bottles inside the car and we should not use it more that once. For Example, If the car is parked in sunlight and the plastic water bottles inside car creates vapours and it is very dangerous drink that hot water.

Please share such useful information when you guys come across.

Thanx,
Ram

Last edited:
Try Ambipur or other perfumes till the problem is solved. Also check if you face the same issue while travelling in a different car as well.

Do keep us posted for any updates.

the plastics,paint,glue,mats etc inside your can emit gases which can be toxic or even carcinogenic.The problem is more when the car is new or parked under sun for long time.To avoid this aerate the car,open your windows for few minutes before switching on the ac when parked under sun.Even air freshners are not safe,they contain a chemical called Phthalate which is used to prolong the smell can cause mental retardation,endocrine problems in children.

If you are sure that the odor is from the plastic. Then be cautious.
Try a dashboard cloth cover (available in ebay or you can have one stitched by local tailor)
these covers block the sun thus do not let the plastic heat up - preventing the smell.

try to drive with AC switched off or use outside air for some time and see if your nausea is wearing off or not.

Perfumes just mask the smell, if your dashboard is actually emitting odour, then have it checked or changed.
Also As Lameassonwheels suggested borrow another car and see if that helps.
Have you installed seat covers? if so what material are they?
I second what RamJ said about plastic bottles, they may be handy but pose great risk to our health. Even high quality PP (polypropylene) labware bottles which are autoclavable (eg. Tarsons) are not considered safe to be locked inside in sun, then what chance does a simple plastic bottle can have?
Glass is the best choice we have.

:offtopic:Also try to carry enough boiled water with you whenever you can, we cannot blindly believe these mineral water.

Last edited:
Dashboard plastic smells usually when car is parked under direct sunlight. Use dashboard cloth as suggested by kannan. Keep cars door open for few minutes before entering into it.

I don't know how it works exactly but one of my colleague used to keep "Medimix" or "Chandrika" soap in his Indica car, these soaps have tendency to evaporate its aroma. Just give it a try [:)]

Secondly, if you are comfortable then use mask while in car :stupid:

While certain smells can cause nausea you mention some other health problems that I would certainly have checked out by a doctor. If its just the actual smell then good ventilation is advised. Sometimes masking a smell you hate with a scent just makes it worse.

Try some good quality Dashboard Polish on all plastic and leather parts in your car. It will clean and make protective layer on it. Hope it will stop that bad smell.
Get your car dry clean and matts if made of kind fabric clean with soapy water and dry under direct sunlight .
Use a towel to cover dashboard when your car is parked under direct sunlight .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

My mom is diabetic, whenever we travel for long say entire day, next day or two she tends to sleep more hours than normal as if she has jetlag! My car was new so didn't pay attention earlier regarding symptoms after long journey. I felt serious when my 26months old nephew started showing the symptoms. He too tends to sleep as he had a jetlag. I should check my blood sugar. Oh my god, I never thought if ever I had diabetes, symptoms will appear in this manner. Thanks a lot all buddies!!!

Top Bottom