Airbags and ABS in Cars: What's Their Importance?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning to buy a car. It will be my first car. I was planning to buy the New alto K10.but it does not have ABS and airbags.
I am from Kolkata and I would be driving mainly in city (sometimes in weekdays)and sometimes in highways(suppose once/twice in a month in the weekend).
Please suggest how much ABS and airbag is required.

Re: ABS and airbags:how much is it required?

ABS provide you safety against uncontrolled skidding. ABS generally offers improved vehicle control and decreases stopping distances on dry and slippery surfaces. So you need ABS for City as well as Highway driving.

Airbags will provide you peace of mind. In case of any unfortunate incident it will keep you safe.
Usually, in city drive vehicles are moving at slow speed. but still we can not control how fast other person is going. Seat belts alone sometimes be enough but we don't if someone meet with accident how much impact it will have. So as I said it is for safety as well as peace of mind.

I would recommend ABS is must and you can decide for Airbags,based on your budget and other considerations.

Hi,
As per safety is concern,ABS and AIRBAGS are very soon going to become mandatory for all cars sold here.I feel ABS and airbags a must feature,though ABS equipped brakes prevent brake locking,can steer in case of panic braking and airbags give you assurance of minimum injury incase of impact.I own Maruti swift zxi and i m not satisfied with built quality,Marutis notorious for light build doesnt take impact easily, i had once in a past.Even i am not confident about Alto.

I would say buy a car with abs and 2 airbags. That's the minimum. The govt taking action and making all cars under this norms need another 10 years I guess. I pity the govt here. What if they brings a law to make all cars from June 2015 to have abs and airbags. It's not a humangulous task or anything since all companies have it in top models. Is the nature of govt that the corporate are exploiting.

What ever you say, where ever you travel, ABS & AIRBAGS are a must. You shouldn't buy any car without them.

It's always 'SAFETY FIRST'.

I would say buy a car with abs and 2 airbags. That's the minimum. The govt taking action and making all cars under this norms need another 10 years I guess. I pity the govt here. What if they brings a law to make all cars from June 2015 to have abs and airbags. It's not a humangulous task or anything since all companies have it in top models. Is the nature of govt that the corporate are exploiting.
The new norms announced already by the Govt, forget 10 years not even 10 months left for it to come in effect. “Initially compliance will be voluntary but from October 2015, it will be mandatory for manufacturers to comply with the safety regulations,”. Please read the whole article here.

ABS and airbags are useful for both city/ highway use, many times there are huge impact hits in traffic signals in city itself. The only thing kept us Indians away from such features is the price difference for a thing you can't "feel" in everyday use. Now as it become mandatory, it will be just another integral component of a car like steering wheel and tires.[clap]

Last edited:

What I want to know is, is this a proposal or a law?? If it's a proposal when is it going to be implemented. As far as I know, it's not yet implemented. It's not easy for making a law in India I think, rather saying is very easy.

Mandatory to pass crash tests from October 2017| ZigWheels.com
The link says about crash test from 2017 and old cars made can be sold till 2019. Well. 2019 is almost 5 years from now. Does this mean swift being made now as a tin can, can be sold till 2019 without any safety. And u don't know the strength of Siam to change any laws in India. If govt is powerful why 2019? Make all changes to 2015. Who is gonna pay for those die of accidents till 2019 bcz of lack of safety.

The new norms announced already by the Govt, forget 10 years not even 10 months left for it to come in effect. “Initially compliance will be voluntary but from October 2015, it will be mandatory for manufacturers to comply with the safety regulations,”. Please read the whole article here.

ABS and airbags are useful for both city/ highway use, many times there are huge impact hits in traffic signals in city itself. The only thing kept us Indians away from such features is the price difference for a thing you can't "feel" in everyday use. Now as it become mandatory, it will be just another integral component of a car like steering wheel and tires.[clap]
What I want to know is, is this a proposal or a law?? If it's a proposal when is it going to be implemented. As far as I know, it's not yet implemented. It's not easy for making a law in India I think, rather saying is very easy. Mandatory to pass crash tests from October 2017| ZigWheels.com The link says about crash test from 2017 and old cars made can be sold till 2019. Well. 2019 is almost 5 years from now. Does this mean swift being made now as a tin can, can be sold till 2019 without any safety. And u don't know the strength of Siam to change any laws in India. If govt is powerful why 2019? Make all changes to 2015. Who is gonna pay for those die of accidents till 2019 bcz of lack of safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
Airbags don't deploy until you have an impact speed of at least 40kmph (i.e. hit a wall at 40 or hit another car, both traveling at 20.) Plus it won't work if you hate to wear seatbelts. Then there is the angle of attack 30 or 40 degrees either side of the center, and 20 degrees up or down. So if you drive only in the crowded cities, etc. Airbags won't matter to you. Also remember, if you are going to more to third party insurance in a few years, and the accident is your fault, the airbag replacement may be half the value of the car.

ABS is good. Please take it. You could save a kid or even a dog.

Cheers,
Rado.

Hey,
Airbags don't deploy until you have an impact speed of at least 40kmph (i.e. hit a wall at 40 or hit another car, both traveling at 20.)
Both travelling at 20[confused]. 20+20 from opposite directions add up as 40?. Are you sure?

So if you drive only in the crowded cities, etc. Airbags won't matter to you.
Have you seen accidents just after the traffic signal opening, direct hits at high accelerations?. Both ABS and airbags come into picture here. So you can't simply omit airbags saying it is not needed for city use. But you are right,such cases are rare!.

Both travelling at 20[confused]. 20+20 from opposite directions add up as 40?. Are you sure?

Have you seen accidents just after the traffic signal opening, direct hits at high accelerations?. Both ABS and airbags come into picture here. So you can't simply omit airbags saying it is not needed for city use. But you are right,such cases are rare!.
I'm not sure if you are asking if the addition is 40, or if the airbags won't deploy. If it's the latter, it could be 35 or 45, but to be precise depends on vehicle weight etc.

I was also considering that it was an Alto, meaning there is only so much he'd accelerate. Airbags are passive safety, while ABS is active safety. Given a choice, one should always go with the latter.

Cheers,
Rado.

I'm not sure if you are asking if the addition is 40, or if the airbags won't deploy. If it's the latter, it could be 35 or 45, but to be precise depends on vehicle weight etc.
Thanks for the sarcastic reply. My humble question with the pure intend of gaining some information was if two vehicles travelling at 20km/h in opposite directions collide with each other the impact speed will be 40 or it will remain 20 ?. :stupid:

Airbags may not deploy even if you are travelling at 80kmph and hit a pole. It totally depends on where the sensors are placed. You may hit a pole and the sensors donot get to know about it. So your airbags wont deploy.

@anindya82 - buy a car with both. It never would do you harm if you have both. Accidents don't happen everyday. God forbid if it does, you will be proud that you took that decision.
And if it doesn't you will get a higher resale specially since safety features will be mandatory soon.

Its true. I strongly feel that ABS and Air Bags need to be mandatory for all cars irrespective of size. Today vehicle manufactures are use the cost cutting option to avoid this on base versions ( eg : Maruthi ). But in my location ( kerala ) i strongly support both especially AirBags mandatory for both driver and passenger in the front

Thanks for the sarcastic reply. My humble question with the pure intend of gaining some information was if two vehicles travelling at 20km/h in opposite directions collide with each other the impact speed will be 40 or it will remain 20 ?. :stupid:
My apologies, I wasn't sure if you actually meant if 20+20=40 or if you phrased the question wrong.

To answer your question: Yes, if two objects hit each other the resultant net velocities is the sum of their individual velocities. if it hits at an angle, then we look at the vectors running through their C of G. So if two cars hit each other at 100kmph each while joining same lane, you only get a fender dent.

Cheers,
Rado.

Top Bottom