Low Fuel Efficiency of Tata Manza

Thread Starter #1
Hi all. I have a Tata Manza Aura Qjet. I bought it at April 2010 and from day one the car has been giving me a range of 500 kms. I was expecting a range of 700 kms. The service centre is not able to find the exact problem. Would like to know a clue on this. Please help.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear,

Few reasons that I can think of are:

a) Pattern of driving.

b) Intensity of traffic.

c) Quality of Fuel

d) Issue with car's MID unit.

Also, would like to know the basis of your thought on expecting 700 kilometer range in 1 tank full.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Hey Akash 1986,
Thanks for your reply. My basis of the car giving a 700 km ramge is that only once in the car's lifetime with I was able to acheive it. A steady 90 km/h at 5th gear gave me a good mileage of 21.2 kmpl. But that time the vehicle was quite new. The vehicle is being filled in the petrol pump which is run by IOC itself. The tyre pressure are maintained right though there is a point to note. The car is being driven by my chauffeur, dad and myself. Most of the time we drive according to the stickering on the glass.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The vehicle is being filled in the petrol pump which is run by IOC itself. The tyre pressure are maintained right though there is a point to note. The car is being driven by my chauffeur, dad and myself.
Questions

1) How often does your chauffeur drive the car?

2) Do you use normal air or Nitrogen in wheels?

3) Instead of IOC why don't you try Bharat Petroleum pump? Reason I say so, because BP pumps have the fuel machines that are sensor based i.e every attendant has a round watch like sensor on their wrists which they touch to the machine when they fill fuel in a car. By doing this short fueling at pumps can be eliminated since these sensor based fuel machines are tracked with computer.

I'll suggest you one small thing, when you go for next fuel re-fill then after stopping the vehicle, remove the fuel cap and after a gap of 3-4 seconds fill fuel. In this way, all vacuum that would be created in tank would be evaporated and the nozzle will not cut abruptly.

Regards

Akash.

Last edited:
How many km the car has run till date?

I too use to get 18 to 20 km initially, however since the Timing chain & pretentioner replacement is done approx @75000 km, the car is giving low FE. Tankful to Tankful method it gave me 15 kmpl recently.
However, I use it like a SUV now a days coupled with hurry overtaking every vehicle ahead & bad err... worst roads.

MID is showing approx 13 kmpl now but as per owners manual it is incorrect for first half an hour of the drive and my most of the drives are of half hour.

I will recheck the FE & MID using tank full method soon on good highway long run

Thread Starter #6
Questions

1) How often does your chauffeur drive the car?

2) Do you use normal air or Nitrogen in wheels?

3) Instead of IOC why don't you try Bharat Petroleum pump? Reason I say so, because BP pumps have the fuel machines that are sensor based i.e every attendant has a round watch like sensor on their wrists which they touch to the machine when they fill fuel in a car. By doing this short fueling at pumps can be eliminated since these sensor based fuel machines are tracked with computer.

I'll suggest you one small thing, when you go for next fuel re-fill then after stopping the vehicle, remove the fuel cap and after a gap of 3-4 seconds fill fuel. In this way, all vacuum that would be created in tank would be evaporated and the nozzle will not cut abruptly.

Regards

Akash.
My chauffeur usually drives the car usually for 3 to 4 hours a day and this time might increase if we take him with us on the highway. We usually fill nitrogen air in the tyres. And yes if there is an emergency we use Bharath petroleum but most of the time it's Indian oil. Usually when we tank up the car we fill the diesel slowly as possible and shake the car so that there are no air bubbles.

How many km the car has run till date?

I too use to get 18 to 20 km initially, however since the Timing chain & pretentioner replacement is done approx @75000 km, the car is giving low FE. Tankful to Tankful method it gave me 15 kmpl recently.
However, I use it like a SUV now a days coupled with hurry overtaking every vehicle ahead & bad err... worst roads.

MID is showing approx 13 kmpl now but as per owners manual it is incorrect for first half an hour of the drive and my most of the drives are of half hour.

I will recheck the FE & MID using tank full method soon on good highway long run
She has done 93000 kms in four years (bought at April 2010). After Tata checked our timing chain thry told me that its fine and can be replaced at 1 Lakh kms. We are getting low fuel efficiency from the beginning itself and Tata could not find the problem. Another point is we have replaced the clutch twice ( once due to shoddy work leading to the jamming of clutch. When depressed it refused to release up. After this incident I changed my service centre.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Option 1:
Give her in the hands of someone who managed to get 20+kmpl from their cars and check if they could get similar output from your vehicle.

Option 2:
Drive another vehicle (may be within friends / family) which deliver a 20+kmpl mileage and see if you could manage to get the same figures.

Try either of these or both to figure out where the problem is with.
90kmph on 5th gear is efficient zone, but how you reach there matters a lot. I know few people who readline at 1st gear, switch to 3rd, readline again and slot 5th gear (skipping 2nd & 4th) I don't mean you drive so, but the engine rpm matters a lot than the vehicle speed.

Thread Starter #8
Option 1:
Give her in the hands of someone who managed to get 20+kmpl from their cars and check if they could get similar output from your vehicle.

Option 2:
Drive another vehicle (may be within friends / family) which deliver a 20+kmpl mileage and see if you could manage to get the same figures.

Try either of these or both to figure out where the problem is with.
90kmph on 5th gear is efficient zone, but how you reach there matters a lot. I know few people who readline at 1st gear, switch to 3rd, readline again and slot 5th gear (skipping 2nd & 4th) I don't mean you drive so, but the engine rpm matters a lot than the vehicle speed.
Thanks for your Advice Mr.Boss. Will try out the techniques whivh you told and keep you updated. As for the gearshift we follow the usual way. That is 1,2,3,4,5. But sometimes my chauffeur does the method which you told that is skipping gears.

Is there any chance if anything has gone wrong inside the engine bay?
May be, considering your vehicle age (in terms of miles I'm speaking about) Every nut and bolt contribute for fuel efficiency. But the quality of fuel and driving pattern were the initial contributors (sorry I'm not an expert when it comes to Engine / power train)

Thread Starter #12
May be, considering your vehicle age (in terms of miles I'm speaking about) Every nut and bolt contribute for fuel efficiency. But the quality of fuel and driving pattern were the initial contributors (sorry I'm not an expert when it comes to Engine / power train)
Hey, Thanks for your help man. Driving pattern surely contributes for fuel efficiency.

Top Bottom