Is Camouflaging of Test Mules Really Necessary?

Is camouflaging of test-mules really necessary?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Team,

We all are a important part of the global automotive industry and 365 days in a year we try and catch something new and unseen before with regards to automotive brands present globally.

Worldwide it is a practice under which a test mule i.e new/face-lift version of a specific car/ bike is put to test on roads with a camouflage by brands. Does camouflaging actually help? In today's time this age old technique is not of use in my opinion frankly because inspite of being masked we all can make out the vehicle and the brand.

Are the OEMs trying to make their vehicle appear exclusive? or Are they trying to create anxiety in public?

Honestly, we enthusiasts can make out with a headlamp's design, tail lamp's design or a side mirror that what is inside the camouflage. Even the spy photographers provide the pictures of these test mule's exteriors and interiors so once they are uploaded it becomes clear as to which car it is and belongs to which brand. Even before it is launched, people get information about it. So, officially when it is launched, there are pretty less assumptions made because a lot of information has been already discussed prior to its launch.

Today with innumerable sources of attaining info of test mules pics, how difficult it is to identify a camouflaged Hyundai Verna or Etios Cross, S Cross by Maruti et al. Earlier as well even after being heavily camouflaged was it really difficult to identify Maruti Ciaz?

Also, in other countries how difficult it is for an enthusiast to identify a camouflaged Benz, Audi, Land Rover or a Jaguar? I really don't think that masking the test mules with a patterned vinyl will create ripples in auto industry.

Another thing that makes camouflaging a test mule obsolete is the rendering. Be it a car/bike, today rendering it provides a basic idea of the model that is suppose to come. And till now the rendering and actual vehicles have had not very major differences in designs. Due to renderings, identifying the test mule has become easy. So, what purpose does camouflaging serve?

Therefore, these above points bring me to place this question that whether camouflaging a test mule is really necessary now or is it just a gimmick for the so called "Exclusivity".

I would like to have your thoughts on this topic since I find the basic purpose of camouflaging has been lost in today's time.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Basic purpose of camouflaging may be lost, but now it is 1st step of marketing, so is going to stay, albeit in different avatar. Camouflaged vehicle will attract enthusiast, who will start rendering, identifying the vehicle, photos on web, discussions, assumptions. So without any advertisement expense, lot of hype is created about new/facelift model, & that is what company wants, along with real OTR test of the vehicle.

Top Bottom