Project Daewoo Nexia Restoration

Thread Starter #1
I will be using this thread to gather knowledge about various aspects of repairing and restoring a car. As it turns out it is going to take longer time than I expected since the problems keep on coming one after another.

A little intro about my project :

I have a 2002 model Petrol Nexia with a CNG kit installed. During Cyclone Phailin (Odisha), car got submerged in water. Car was towed back to my native town (Bhilai) and it's been lying ever since. This car is of great sentimental value so we cannot even think of selling it. Mechanics have inspected the car and said it will never start again.

I came to my native on 1st October and started looking around for faults and some of which are :
1. Rust (salt water)
2. Electrical wiring needs to be changed [cry]
3. Shorted ECU (major problem, new one costs 40k according to my mechanic)[frustration]
4. Car's exhaust pipe is broken and probably missing but i think that is an easy fix, right ? [frustration]
to be cont...(will keep adding to the list as and when i find out new issues)

As of now, I have removed all the seats and exposed all the wirings, removed the ecu, gave the battery for charging.

ECU Issue : I gave the ECU to a local electronics repair shop who deals with ECU repairs. After two days and 1580 rs. worth of repairs he claims that its working again, which i wont be able to find out until its plugged in.

Battery : I have given the battery for charging since its completely drained.

Electrical components : Once the battery is back and as soon as i procure a dc tester will start checking for individual circuits from the fusebox.

My questions are :
1. How should i approach to these issues in a fashioned way. What i mean is should I check the ECU first or the electrical components. Car wont start unless ecu is fixed. But electrical circuits will work even if ecu is not fixed ? i

2. If ECU is not fixed then will ECU's from Chevrolet optra work ?

3. Most of the couplers are rusted and break when i try to open them. And i cannot change entire wiring of the car.

Goals :
I have set targets since time is something of a luxury for me. SO before i leave back to bangalore I have decided to get the engine started and that depends on ECU, which is my main concern. If the ecu is fixed according to the repair guy, what precautions should I take so as to avoid any further avoidable damage to ECU. Repair guy already broke a pin which trying to fix it, which he fixed by adding a wire from the circuit board which i can attach from the outside to the coupler wire.

Please advice.

Hello freelancer6202,

I am not an expert so can not comment on any of your query.
Its a old car & restoration of this may cost much but i believe it worth the money.

If you are planning for a new engine and new other parts then below is a thread from other forum, you should go through it.

If you can go to that place and can able to get those brand new engine and other parts then your restoration will be one of its kind in India. [thumbsup]

I am sure one can get some unused inventory if tried hard.

Visit to Daewoo Motors (Argentum) plant, Surajpur, UP: a Chronicle in Pictures - Team-BHP

Some of pics from the above thread , New factory sealed Nexia 1.6 ltr 110 BHP engine still in the premises:

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thank you kalinga for sharing the post, brother . Gave me good hopes for future. I have told my mother about the plant and I will be visiting the plant shortly (December) . My family has some good friends in the region and I think with right kind of approach I just might be able to get my Nexia breathing and running again.

Tomorrow I will be getting the battery back from charging and start checking the electrical circuits. Will be posting pictures tomorrow.

welcome bro.
if you get access of the unused inventory then collect parts as much as possible. i think they will offer you in very low price for the parts.

Also this may help other Daewoo car owners as well.

thanks Kalinga for that information. There are two neighbours who own Matiz (bronze colour). I still remember i was a kid studying in UKG, we helped them purchase Matiz in Tinsukia, Assam. Both their matiz are still running in excellent condition. will share such information with them.

thanks Kalinga for that information. There are two neighbours who own Matiz (bronze colour). I still remember i was a kid studying in UKG, we helped them purchase Matiz in Tinsukia, Assam. Both their matiz are still running in excellent condition. will share such information with them.
Welcome Maneet92,

Guys, kindly share the above information to all Daewoo owner if they are intrested for parts.
I am not sure the inventory are still available but worth a try.

Thread Starter #7
Is there any way i can get in touch with the member who originally posted these images in that forum ? i am not a member there and i dont want to go to that forum. I am planning a visit to this site in surajpur in december.

sorry freelancer6202,

I do not have any contact details of that member.
If you are planning to visit that place and if you have contacts in that area then i think you will get a way to access the premises.

Hello freelancer,
Glad to see that you are trying to restore your Nexia. I too have a Daewoo Matiz which though runs and is good for city runs but needs a engine overhaul as per a second hand dealer ( got the car inspected when we buying a new car). When you visit the factory, do find if there are engines for the Matiz as well, if they are going out cheap then I might buy one as well!

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Is there any way i can get in touch with the member who originally posted these images in that forum ? i am not a member there and i dont want to go to that forum.
Hi, The person who clicked/ posted those pics is a very close friend of mine. Once you are able to receive PM then let me know. Will send his number to you.

Regards

Akash

Akash1886

Honoured Member
i am getting messgaes. kindly pm me his contact details and comfortable time to disturb him.:)
Till you complete 10+ posts the PM facility won't be active on your account. The name of my friend is Mr. S Shankar. Once you are done with more than 10 posts I shall PM you his number buddy. You may first send him an SMS then you call him.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Here in Bangalore i have heard of Cielos selling for 40,000. Maybe you can buy one such car & scrap them for parts. Even if in a very good condition can be had for 80,000 am sure.
Since you said a new ecu is 40,000 & alot of other parts are required ,maybe this is a cost effective bet,take a mechanic & investigate the car for all the parts you need !

Top Bottom