Tata Nano Battery Replacement: 35Ah Can Be Installed?

Thread Starter #1
Just 18 months down the line and my nano battery is dead beyond revival. Im having a nightmare with this car. Compared to my Zen and My EECO. Will soon be giving a 2 yrs of ownership review of the car.

I called the service center and they either dont want to tell or dont know whether i can put in an AMARON battery. The Amaron helpline confirms i can put in a 35AH 12v battery. But the problem here is that the battery that comes with the car (that is the one that's now dead) is a 25AH battery from exide. Also the 25ah battery is a tad bit smaller in dimension compared to a standard 35ah battery that goes into my EECO.

So can i use a 35AH battery from amaron ? Has anyone used such a battery in the Nano.

Some say it can be used with no problems. Some say you cant. Can any of you suggest if its been tried and is ok to do ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for confirming. But does it fit ? Into that tight space under the seat. Because the smaller sized 25ah battery itself is a very tight fit and hard to remove and put back.

Thanks for confirming. But does it fit ? Into that tight space under the seat. Because the smaller sized 25ah battery itself is a very tight fit and hard to remove and put back.
25 Ah battery is not that tight as you said. Completely remove the sleek metal rods which holding the battery on place, move the driver seat forward completely and its easy to remove the battery after that. I removed it to fill it for water.
How you confirm that your battery is dead, Before disposing your battery you can try some process to check if this makes your battery came to life again.
You can also check this type of process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS6Lyft8nfY

Thread Starter #6
Is there any other language you would prefer to hear it in? Was there anything that was not clear in my earlier post?
Watch your mouth.

Yes your previous post shows exemplary language skills. Where in one line you've claimed you had done it on "a" nano. Which prima facie signifies its not your nano. So there was no harm in checking about the size to consider if you got a 35ah version which is the same size of the 25ah version. But oh sure your one line answer explains so much i would rather hear it 5 more languages. Preferably not from you. [:D]

Don't participate if you don't want to. Nobody misses your uncouth contribution.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
25 Ah battery is not that tight as you said. Completely remove the sleek metal rods which holding the battery on place, move the driver seat forward completely and its easy to remove the battery after that. I removed it to fill it for water.
How you confirm that your battery is dead, Before disposing your battery you can try some process to check if this makes your battery came to life again.
You can also check this type of process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS6Lyft8nfY
Hi. I just got the battery changed. Used a new amaron 35ah battery. It sucked the life out of us by the time we could change it. 2 Hrs. 1hr the amaron guy tried n gave up, then had to take it to Nano Authorised Service Centre. There 2 service guys literally struggled with no idea why its not fitting. No bends, nothing, all parts in factory new condition. They took 1 hr and have somehhow fitted it in a not so perfect way. Cant blame them it looks like thats all that can be done.

Hi. I just got the battery changed.
Few months back when I was in the service centre for some fault I asked the service advisor about the 35AH battery fitments and he confirmed that its possible and they already did. But not able to see any one modified nano their. Look at the images from two different owners manual of nano in terms of year 2012 and 2013.
in 2012- battery was of 25Ah while the alternator output is 70A with AC and 40A without AC.
in 2013 they changed the battery to 35Ah while the alternator capacity is changed to constant 70A.
Old model alternator is set to deliver high ampere in AC only does is charge the new high AH battery efficiently or it need more time to charge it [confused]

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
Few months back when I was in the service centre for some fault I asked the service advisor about the 35AH battery fitments and he confirmed that its possible and they already did. But not able to see any one modified nano their. Look at the images from two different owners manual of nano in terms of year 2012 and 2013.
in 2012- battery was of 25Ah while the alternator output is 70A with AC and 40A without AC.
in 2013 they changed the battery to 35Ah while the alternator capacity is changed to constant 70A.
Old model alternator is set to deliver high ampere in AC only does is charge the new high AH battery efficiently or it need more time to charge it [confused]
I don't understand how alternator capacity changes with AC. The output stays mostly constant with respect to RPM.

Do you want to say that AC models nano have a physically larger alternator? Then its OK.
Anyways 40A is way too much for 35AH battery anyways. You are charing over 1.0C which means battery can overheat or blow up. Most of inverters charge only around 9A or (0.9C for 100AH battery).

Go for a larger battery eyes closed. Won't take over an hour to charge it.

I don't understand how alternator capacity changes with AC. The output stays mostly constant with respect to RPM.

Do you want to say that AC models nano have a physically larger alternator? Then its OK.
e it.
I don't know any size changes in the alternator. Picture above are of the user manual of 2012 and 2013 version without PS

even 40a alternator will charge 35a Battery in 1-2 hours. upgrade and stop worrying.
on a rainy night I am using stereo(basic), headlights, wipers continuously and as I pressed the horns(skoda type) the power weeks- stereo light decreased till the horn is played same with the headlights, any idea why? mine is 2012 model.

bhvm

Honoured Member
on a rainy night I am using stereo(basic), headlights, wipers continuously and as I pressed the horns(skoda type) the power weeks- stereo light decreased till the horn is played same with the headlights, any idea why? mine is 2012 model.
either the Battery or alternator is weak. have you installed 100w bulbs in your headlights?

either the Battery or alternator is weak. have you installed 100w bulbs in your headlights?
NO every thing is stock, except the stereo and horns.
one more thing while cold start the car sometimes makes sound like of some garbage particles rotating for 1-2 seconds, I checked the same in service centre and every time there is no sound.

bhvm

Honoured Member
NO every thing is stock, except the stereo and horns.
one more thing while cold start the car sometimes makes sound like of some garbage particles rotating for 1-2 seconds, I checked the same in service centre and every time there is no sound.
What is the age of car and the battery?
Sugges you start a new thread with all details for this problem

Top Bottom