What You Prefer: Push-Button or Key-Start?

What your preference?

• Push Button Start

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Key Start

Votes: 31 67.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

In today's fast paced and technically advanced times, our cars have become technically advanced too. There are people who still swear by the age-old way of starting the car i.e by inserting the key and there are also people who feel at ease with Push-Button start system.

I would like to know, out of the 2, which one do you all prefer and feel easy and safe about in the long run.

Please share your views.

Regards

Akash

Key start.

When shut off the engine & go out, we don't have to search key as it is in keyhole only. In push start, it can be in either pocket on body & purse somewhere in car & forget inside.

Key start will be the option which i prefer right now. Because of the long term reliability concern of the push start/stop buttons.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I happened to check out the Ciaz Z variant at a Maruti ASC recently and when I sat in it and tried starting it, I could not do it since I was not conversant with the push button start. Both my cars have key-start only. After few minutes the SA told me to press the clutch and then start the car with the button. I located the button somehow :biggrin: and with fear started the car.

Having experienced this, I find key-start much hassle free and easy and one simply needs to start the car keeping the gear in neutral.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6

Akash1886

Honoured Member
There is another funny thing regarding Push-Button mechanism in Honda City I-vtec (2014) i.e once the remote is 81cm away from the car, it shall unlock by itself. Anyone who has that remote can unlock it. I somehow find the key-start much more friendly and safe.

Regards

Akash

I'm the odd-man here. Voted for Push-Button (not because I have it, I found it is better)

Advantages of Push-button:
- Fool proof
- Less wear & Tear in key / lock mechanism
- Utilize proper delay timing for Glow plug (in case of diesel)

When shut off the engine & go out, we don't have to search key as it is in keyhole only. In push start, it can be in either pocket on body & purse somewhere in car & forget inside.
Forget this issue, keeping the key inside car will not alloy you to lock the car

Key start will be the option which i prefer right now. Because of the long term reliability concern of the push start/stop buttons.
Push button is more reliable than mechanical key (with lot of moving parts inside the key hole)

Voted for Push button start - though I do not own a car with push button type.
When self start button was introduced in motor cycles, I was apprehensive that the battery life might get affected. But having a bike with this feature make life simple especially in city.
So push button start in car also will be of great convenience once we get use to it.

I have installed Smart Key Push button engine start with Auto window roll back and using it since couple od months. Found really good to use it instead of key start. With this feature you are not worry whether ur doors are locked or not it automatically locks door when u shut off ur engine
So its good product and now in many cars push button system is coming.

Voted for Push Start. At first, I too wasn't liking it thinking of possibilities of missing the key fob. Moreover, the conventional way of starting the car is missed. However, started liking it of late for it's smartness, luxury and fool proof mechanism. Moreover, we got to keep up with the growing technological world [;)]

Pros -
  • No need to take out the keys either to unlock or start the car. Let that just be in the pocket [:D]
  • Don't have to search for the key hole, happens at times in nights.
  • Show off the smartness your car carries, as a car enthusiast
  • No need to ensure whether we locked the car or not. At times, we panic whether we locked the car or not, after walking away for miles or while sitting inside the movie hall. Yep, most of us do, especially us! [frustration]
  • Can "never" lock your car with key inside, even if you would want to.
  • Engine stalled? No need to switch off and on again. Just a push of button.
  • Don't look back and take out your remote to lock the car, just walk away!
  • No need to search for the keys and unlock when carrying heavy luggage or shopping bags. Just open the doors are trunk.
Cons -

• Chances of slipping the key from the pocket while inside the car. Got to be careful or keep it in a desired spot.
  • If kept somewhere or slipped, should remember to walk out with the key. I feel, it's a reasonable expectation from the user as it's not enough for just the key to be smart, user should as well.
I believe, Cons are negligible and manageable, thinking of Pros.

There is another funny thing regarding Push-Button mechanism in Honda City I-vtec (2014) i.e once the remote is 81cm away from the car, it shall unlock by itself. Anyone who has that remote can unlock it. I somehow find the key-start much more friendly and safe.
I doubt of such a possibility. 81 cms are just around the car and having someone driving it out is merely possible, unless one is attacked. That be the case, neither Remote or Manually key will help. Moreover, I think the key should be present inside for the engine to continually work. Else, it would have been a disaster by now.

I have installed Smart Key Push button engine start with Auto window roll back and using it since couple od months. Found really good to use it instead of key start. With this feature you are not worry whether ur doors are locked or not it automatically locks door when u shut off ur engine
So its good product and now in many cars push button system is coming.
OT - @Anurag - Which car and how much did you have to spend for this set up?

I never liked the Push button start mechanism. I personally feel that such features are stupid and makes us lazy. Are we humans that lazy? even to insert and twist a key? Power windows were needed because the winding mechanism was uncomfortable. But in this case, the key slot is near the driver only (easy access), so what's so uncomfortable or being lazy to insert and twist the key to start? It is just a show-off mechanism. Instead of this, manufacturers can actually add more safety/quality features to the car.

Thread Starter #13

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I never liked the Push button start mechanism. Are we humans that lazy? even to insert and twist a key? the key slot is near the driver only (easy access), so what's so uncomfortable or being lazy to insert and twist the key to start? It is just a show-off mechanism. Instead of this, manufacturers can actually add more safety/quality features to the car.
Agreed on safety with you! I feel push buttons appear to be easy but what if the push button malfunctions? In key-start, whats the worst scenario if the key malfunctions? This push button thing is a new technology here in India and people are not conversant with it including myself. I tested the Corolla Altis recently and did not even know how to start it using a push button. Its my personal opinion though.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Good article Mr.Boss. Thanks for posting the link. Improvement in technology has resulted in many convenience like keyless start. But it also introduces certain risks which are not thought about in conventional way, like unintended rolling of the car or engine left running as explained in the article

Top Bottom