Choose One: Airbags or ABS?

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
In today's time there are certain parameters followed by the car makers in India which help them in maintaining competitive margins on their models. As we know ABS and Airbags both are very much necessary for the driver as well as the co-passenger so why is there a notion of not providing both of them as a standard fitment in all cars irrespective of brands and variants?

Why is the customer made to choose either of them? Also, for having both in one car, he/she has to shell out a premium price for the same. Is it right to extract extra value for providing the safety features?

Please provide your suggestions!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I'll chose ABS if there's an option between airbags and Abs.
Abs will make sure the impact is at lower speed if compared to a non abs car and maybe can totally avoid the accident.

Seat belt plus ABS will have enough safety for the occupants although having airbags will obviously be more safer.

I will prefer an ABS is because ABS might prevent an accident whereas Airbag will only be used after an accident has occurred.
ABS is an accident prevention device where as Airbag is a accident survival device.But again, if I had a choiceI would choose both.

Last edited:
It's Simple. I will choose ABS.

Just apply the ABS & Airbag in the sequence of usage.

We drive fast. To avoid the accident, we need Brake (ABS) first, to reduce the impact of accident we have to sit in normal position during the impact (which is not possible). The Seat belt with Airbag helps to you maintain the position and reduce the impact of accident.

ABS - Proactive. We can test our ABS performance and you get the confidence. At any point of time you will sure it will perform. If you use ABS, next second ABS is ready for next use.

Airbag - Reactive. We can't test Airbags whether it is deploying or not? If it is deployed, you can't use it again till you fix it.

Thread Starter #8

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I feel both of them need to be present in the car. Reason, we can't predict the scenario of a mishap. In case, if even after having an ABS we ultimately hit another vehicle then the only source of survival left is the airbags and of course the seat belts. Airbag is though a sensor based device, but does help in case of t-bone, or a side-ways crash apart from frontal crash.

Also, any car in India should be built as per traffic conditions here. Do you think giving 2 airbags is sufficient in majority of cars? Definitely not!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Similar topic is discussed here
Why is the customer made to choose either of them? Also, for having both in one car, he/she has to shell out a premium price for the same. Is it right to extract extra value for providing the safety features?
Quoting from the above thread
And for the one who blame OEMs for such a cost cutting measure please do revisit that statement. OEMs do supply what the market (Customers) wants. When there is a Demand vs Supply gap, we can't see such a huge sales figures of cars that don't have any of the safety features. Now it is clear that we (customers) are responsible for such a cost cutting measure from OEMs.

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Similar topic is discussed here
Actually, the post/thread quoted above does not specifically highlight the choice between Airbag or ABS, it rather shows whether one should or should not buy a car without safety feature. However, my point is which safety feature should one choose if given a choice and in the first place why is it always a question of choice when safety is concerned?

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

Akash1886

Honoured Member
why did you start this thread in the first place?
I started the thread to get constructive suggestions and views about the present scenario wherein both the mentioned safety features are not given in all the models irrespective of the brands.

My statement quoted by you simply shares my point of view as a person/ buyer/ owner.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom