Jump Starting a Gearless or Automatic Bike / Car

Thread Starter #1
Yesterday at the market I saw a person struggling to start his gearless scooter with the push start button. Maybe his scooter didn't had a kick. I own a YZF-R15 which too doesn't have a kick but I am able to push start the Bike when the need arises.
It left me wondering how would someone with a gearless or automatic Bike or Car push start the Vehicle.
Googling didn't help much. Please Enlighten me regarding this.

Thanks

DRIVE SAFE

Re: Jump starting a gearless or automatic Bike/Car

Usually it is not possible to push start a scooter with automatic transmission. I think all gearless scooters come with kick start option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you asking whether it's possible to jump start an automatic with a spare battery/another car or whether it can be push started?

Thread Starter #6
Are you asking whether it's possible to jump start an automatic with a spare battery/another car or whether it can be push started?
Jump start an automatic car just as an geared car, take safety precautions of lever position in parking, place the jumpers correctly. Positive to positive of dead battery, negative of good battery to earthing on the dead vehicle. Make sure both the batteries are of same voltage.
I was asking about push starting an vehicle automatic transmission.

Thanks

In a word: No. A modern automatic cannot be push-started because there is no mechanical connection between the wheels and engine. The torque converter of the transmission needs to be engaged for the transmission of energy from engine to wheel (and vice versa) and this is done by fluid pressure generated by an electric pump which cannot be powered by pushing the car.

Thread Starter #8
In a word: No. A modern automatic cannot be push-started because there is no mechanical connection between the wheels and engine. The torque converter of the transmission needs to be engaged for the transmission of energy from engine to wheel (and vice versa) and this is done by fluid pressure generated by an electric pump which cannot be powered by pushing the car.
Thanks for the explanation[:)]

bhvm

Honoured Member
How about modern electronics laden cars Which rely on ECU and stuff?
can we push start with battery discharged?

Taking about the likes of XUV500 or Something. How about manuals of BMW/Audi?

Well, theoretically electronic fuel-injection cars cannot be push started for the same reason as automatics. However, if the battery has enough energy to power the injectors and spark plugs (but not the starter motor), the nature of some engines does allow the engine to be started by pushing in gear with the clutch depressed and dropping the clutch when in motion. As far as I have been able to deduce this has something to do with the Anti-Stall.

I've tried this out with my X-Trail and also an Opel Corsa.

Top Bottom