What is the Whistle-Like Sound That Goes Off in Some Cars?

Thread Starter #1
Okay, so the title looked foolish and you dared to peak in. Thank you! Alright, since the age of 8, I've seen many Tata Sumos, Indica etc. making a sound ASIDE from the engine sound. This, goes like "Cheeeee..." in a harsh manner. Usually when the car is picking-up speed. Think of it like a whistle fluctuating pitch and sound level What the heck is that sound (from)? The clutch, the brakes, or the engine itself? Sorry for this irrelevant thing. I heard a loud sounding Santro, when I lost it and posted this.[roll]

The sound which you are referring to I presume, is usually heard in cars like Maruti Alto, Indica and Santros and usually in damp conditions. Its due to the moist belt or loose belt. Atleast in case of Alto this screeching sound happens due to that.

Thread Starter #5
Thanks all guys for your valuable answers!
That is the Turbo sound.
Many thanks! Okay, sorry but my car is a Turbo-Diesel Beat, and that doesn't sound like that.

The sound which you are referring to I presume, is usually heard in cars like Maruti Alto, Indica and Santros and usually in damp conditions. Its due to the moist belt or loose belt. Atleast in case of Alto this screeching sound happens due to that.
Thank you! But I've not heard the sound in Alto. I know a certain Santro that does that so loud, I hear it from far away. Loose belt does that? How? How is the power delivered to the wheels???[roll]

You can hear that in most of the old indicas . it is usually loose belt or when belt is wet due to water which makes noise like that when it slip on pulley.
[confused] Thanks! But if it slips on the pulley, HOW THE HELL IS THE POWER DELIVERED TO THE WHEELS? :stupid:

Sorry if this classification is hard to understand (Entirely my fault if it is), just trying to understand the sound you are describing:

1. Soft, smooth whistling noise usually quieter than the engine - Turbocharger.
2. Harsh, sharp screeching noise like metal nail being dragged on a chalk-board - loose/worn engine belt.
3. Rapid squeaking/chirping noise that lasts a few seconds - Tyres struggling for grip.

In a car the power is sent to the wheels via the engine crankshaft and transmission components. The belts are typically used either for valve timing (Not in all cars), turning the water pump, running the AC compressor or spinning the alternator. It has nothing to do with power transmission.

However, a loose belt can result in engine not running properly (In the case of timing belt), overheating (In case of water pump), battery discharge (In case of alternator) or poor AC performance (In case of compressor).

Of course in few other cars belts can run other appliances like the radiator fan or supercharger, but none of the cars you mentioned.

Unless it's a timing belt issue, it is very unlikely that mileage would be affected. However reliability would be compromised especially if the fan belt snaps/shears before it is replaced.

In a friend of mine's Mercedes C200 (Old one) he ignored the belt issue until it broke, leaving him stranded in the middle of the road. The breaking belt also somehow damaged the alternator shaft so the bill came out to be quite expensive!

If you drive an internal combustion vehicle, sooner or later the belts will get worn and need replacement.

Top Bottom