Difference in Kilometers Travelled in Bike vs Car

Thread Starter #1
I have been traveling to my office by bike and car depends on situation. Recently I have noticed one strange thing, exactly the same route from my office parking to home parking shows 12.6 kms in my bike and 12.1 in my car. In order to confirm I have checked this multiple time and I made sure I travel on exactly same route on those days.

I have not up sized/downsized my tires both in my bike and car, both runs on stock settings. Did anyone faced this mismatch in bike and car ?

Cheers [:)]

Re: Difference of KMs in travelling Bike vs Car

I have been traveling to my office by bike and car depends on situation. Recently I have noticed one strange thing, exactly the same route from my office parking to home parking shows 12.6 kms in my bike and 12.1 in my car. In order to confirm I have checked this multiple time and I made sure I travel on exactly same route on those days.

I have not up sized/downsized my tires both in my bike and car, both runs on stock settings. Did anyone faced this mismatch in bike and car ?

Cheers [:)]
Hi,
I have faced the same problem, When I travel from my home to office(MBP) it shows 26kms in bike(pulsar 180) where as in car(ford ikon) it shows 25.1, I felt I had overlooked it so checked several times in the trip meter as well but its showing difference. I have upsized my car tyre from 13" to 14".

same route from my office parking to home parking shows 12.6 kms in my bike and 12.1 in my car.
There could be two reasons for this.

One is the relative accuracy of instruments.

Second and the most likely reason - In bike you are doing a "zig zag" overtaking other vehicles finding way through the traffic and a difference of a few hundred meters is possible in that 12 km route.

Second and the most likely reason - In bike you are doing a "zig zag" overtaking other vehicles finding way through the traffic and a difference of a few hundred meters is possible in that 12 km route.
Bang on target, bike does a lot zig-zag and always ready in first row at traffic signal.

Yes, in bike you are doing a lot of zig-zag and also that you are being running more in the traffic and hence, is the difference.

350Z

Core Team

Spot on. My tripmeter too sometimes shows a similar difference on same route. It’s more to do with the driving pattern than the meter error. Driving zig-zag does more harm than good. It's claimed to take a toll on mileage by upto 20% due to additional distance. That sure makes a substantial difference in long distance driving.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom